GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,163
1 members and 1,162 guests
Low D Flat
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
One really big takeaway from this situation for all collegiate members is your headquarters is not kidding around where it comes to safety and public image. These are multimillion dollar corporations that are not going to be brought down by some entitled teenagers. And also that your stupid mistake can really snowball into screwing with people's lives who had nothing to do with causing the problem.
This. What's most disappointing is that Chi Omega was the first NPC on Penn State's campus way back in 1926. Almost 90 years of history, traditions, and sisterhood, and it all ended because of one party.

And another lesson: what you post on the internet never goes away. I went to look up some pictures of "Chi Omega, Penn State", and aside from a few pictures, the entire page had their mistake plastered all over it.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-12-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
I can tell you that many of the ladies I know probably have stronger bonds with their alumnae chapter sisters, then they had with their own collegiate chapter sisters.
Cosign, because I am one of those women.

I am 1000% closer with my SAI alumnae sisters than I ever was with any collegiate sisters. And, on the flip side, I thought I would be BFFs with some Phi Sigs for ages - thought we'd never lose touch. And, we haven't talked in years. College experience =/= or define alumnae experience.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Cosign, because I am one of those women.

I am 1000% closer with my SAI alumnae sisters than I ever was with any collegiate sisters. And, on the flip side, I thought I would be BFFs with some Phi Sigs for ages - thought we'd never lose touch. And, we haven't talked in years. College experience =/= or define alumnae experience.
Some of my favorite KDs are ten years older than me or ten years younger than me. They're awesome, but I never knew them in college. We weren't in the same college cohort.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM

I do want to say that "member evaluations" are bullshit. Asking girls to rat on their chapter sisters is not cool. And if new initiates were included? Doubly not cool. My guess is that they did the same thing the Tri Deltas did and told hq to put the charter where the sun don't shine.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

If your sisters are doing something illegal or something that could harm them, someone needs to know.

Example: most of the hazing stunts that the locals at the last college where I taught were pulling. Someone could've easily been injured or killed.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
If your sisters are doing something illegal or something that could harm them, someone needs to know.

Example: most of the hazing stunts that the locals at the last college where I taught were pulling. Someone could've easily been injured or killed.
Then you need to report it. Not be grilled on your (or anyone else's) worthiness to be a member. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Frankly, I don't think too many women who experienced this kind of thing go on to be super active alumnae.
Oh, I don't know about that. A number of women from my chapter, which closed after I graduated, remain highly active on the regional and national level. These are women who were there when it closed and women who graduated long before I did. Many of us agree that we got active because we didn't want to miss any opportunity for our chapter to return.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Oh, I don't know about that. A number of women from my chapter, which closed after I graduated, remain highly active on the regional and national level. These are women who were there when it closed and women who graduated long before I did. Many of us agree that we got active because we didn't want to miss any opportunity for our chapter to return.
And put me at the top of that list! That's exactly why I signed on as a province officer 2 years after we closed. I wanted to be there in case we came back and I wanted to help other chapters that were struggling.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I feel the same way, but in my experience, I still think we're the exception. At least, that has been my observation and experience, but it could be sorority-specific.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there's something to be said for the type of women who join a struggling chapter, though--that even if their collegiate experience is short or less than optimal, they might be more committed and willing to work for their organization as alumnae than women who join a chapter that gets removed from campus for behavioral issues. Just a theory.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Supermods - can you please move the posts that have gone off on a tangent into a new thread? The original thread topic is one that needs to stay active.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Chi O waits a semester before they initiate their new members.
Her use of the words "model initiate" brought the same NPC to mind.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Closed Thread