GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,819
0 members and 2,819 guests
No Members online

Old 12-10-2001, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Unhappy Advice

My Boyfriend is in the Army and when we started dating I knew he was going to be leaving sometime after his December Graduation. Well, he called me today because he got his assignment. He leaves in February for Maryland, and later to Texas. It goes without saying that I am an utter wreck! He lives next door and we've gone almost four months without spending more than two or three days apart! Can anyone offer any advice on surviving Long Distance Relationships?
Old 12-10-2001, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Surviving LDRs...

I feel like my advice might be a little different, 'cause my boyfriend and I have ALWAYS been in a long distance relationship.
Definitely get a good LD phone plan...maybe even better, an LD plan that gives frequent flyer miles (2 free trips in 2 years...go me!). Write letters or postcards weekly. Hallmark has a lot of "I miss you, love" cards...I think they're in the freshlink section. Setting up a schedule is also a really great idea...my boy and I try to see eachother once a month, with the exception of summers. I know that in a military position, once a month is a lot to ask...but even two months can go by really quickly. What about IM? Email? Even though those are extremely impersonal media, it can be really nice to open your inbox and have an "I Love You!" email...really brightens a dull day.

Best of luck with everything! And please don't get discouraged!
Old 12-11-2001, 06:43 AM
GreekChat Member

How long have you been dating? My Hubby and I were seperated for 6 years after dating a little over 3 years. We broke up several times along the way. You will have a lot of time on your hands and he will be lonesome. He may imagine you meeting all kinds of people and MAY fear YOU will have a change of heart. Letters are wonderful because you can read and reread them again and again. There is something about having a tangible object that closes the distance. Many people may say it's hard for a long distance romance to work. I agree, but if it's meant to be, it will be. Try not to let his or your worries creep into converstions. It opens the door to doubt. Don't shut yourself off from other people/guys though. Sometimes a little distance and interaction with the opposite sex can reveal the very strength (or weakness) of your relationship. When you two get the chance to reunite...Well, all I can say is, TAKE VITAMINS! LOL
Old 12-11-2001, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
Hang in there, there's always hope,which is what gets all of us through these LD things.

I agree with everyone on getting the good phone card, or perhaps redo your cell phone plan to get better long distance miles. Most people in LD relationships complain that it's the little "bits of the day" kind of information that they miss most, but with email and IM, you can still share all those silly little things that happen to you.

A favorite poem of mine for those LD'ers out there is A Valediction Forbidding Mourning by John Donne. it's great stuff.