GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,792
1 members and 1,791 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 12-11-2001, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
Quote:
Umm, not a big fan of tv either. Children need to be outside playing ball or something. Not inside watching tv, reading, or playing videogames. Or, they may end up like me!
Reading? Yeah, that'd be a terrible thing for a child to do. Why, he might as well try to learn stuff in school while he's at it. What a waste, these kids!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway. In 6 nights of reading, I'm 1/4 of the way thru the 3rd book, and I'm a terribly slow reader. It's absolutely brilliant, I must say. JK Rowling's Potter is tremendous! The film was very well put together, but you don't realize quite how well until you read along, and discover shit further explained in later books. Something that is so incredibly amazing of a tactic that Rowling used is that each successive book is longer. It's my opinion that she knew a long book to begin with would turn kids away, but once they got hooked they'd be forced to sit and read the longer books, but the catch is that they'd truly enjoy the experience rather than bear through it. Honestly, I don't want to get done with these books because there will not be another for me to read as of yet. It's crazy how Rowling did this, it's really turning kids on to reading other things too. Brilliant tactics.

Cory

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 12-28-2001, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have NEVER seen the same movie in the theatres twice. But I made an acception with Harry Potter. I saw it for the second time last night at the 10 o'clock showing. A friend had mentioned that he had never seen it while we were on the phone. I hung up and drove to his house to take him to the movie. I continued to tell him about the next three books until 2 AM.

It was stunning how much the movie resembled what I had envisioned as I was reading the books. I must say I recommend these books to absolutely everyone. I was completely enamored. I completed the first three books 2 days and nights. I hadn't been on a literary mission like that since I was a child with Roald Dahl books.

Carnation
A very interesting parallel!

Cory-
Off the topic slightly but have you had the opportunity to experience "On the Road" yet?
Old 12-28-2001, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

And the children's librarian jumps on the bandwagon...

I was disappointed that all my favorite parts of the book were left out of the movie. However, I thought it was an excellent movie and could certainly be enjoyed by someone who had never read the books. I thought the cast was phenomenal, especially Ron, even though Rupert Grint was MUCH too short to play him, he was just so charming I wanted to give him a hug.

Harry Potter is a big part of my life, no children's book has EVER done what this series has for kids' enthusiam for reading. HP #4, for you trivia buffs, had 7 million books in its first printing alone, an all-time publishing record. Kids are putting down their video games and picking up books, which just makes me want to stand up and cheer (and it's good because it means I won't be out of a job anytime soon ). Hooray for J.K. Rowling and shame on Time magazine for not electing her Person of the Year for 2000 (they got a lot of angry letters about that one).
Old 12-28-2001, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I saw the movie the weekend it came out with my little and some other friends. My little had read all the books and it was her idea to go. I loved the movie! Over break I've read all 4 books & loved every second of it. I'll be standing in line waiting for the fifth. My boyfriend makes so much fun of me for liking Harry Potter & my parents have been calling me "Harriette Potter" and "Pot head" b/c I love it soo much. Not to mention the cool owls. It's about time they got a little respect.
H
Old 12-31-2001, 05:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
OMG OMG OMG I LOOOOVED Harry Potter...
It was by far my favorite movie...but of course i had to read the book first..
My younger sister has all the books, and she told me that I should read it..since I was always asking her why she loved harry potter so much..she said i wouldnt understand until i read it...so i did and im addicted.. i finally saw the movie and it was very good..it was fun to see all the things i had imagined put into motion.. much of it is just how i had imagined it..
i think what i liked best about the movie was how i finally heard how some things were SUPPOSED to be pronounced... Hermione in the book sounds so much different in my mind than how they said it in the movie...
it was good.. i wish they hadn't left out certain parts...but all in all it was definitly GREAT!!
and to all those people who haven't discovered Harry Potter yet I HIGHLY suggest you pick up the first book today... you will be HOOKED... if i can get a good friend who HATES to read to actually read it...then anyone can do it.. the writing is very colorful and keeps you entertained from start to finish..
Old 12-31-2001, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
So sad

I finished all the Harry Potter books now, and I've no more to read until the next comes ot, and she just got married so I wonder if that means it'll take longer for the next to come out. hmm.

waiting.
Cory

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 12-31-2001, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Here I am talking about one of my favorite subjects... Harry Potter!

I absolutely loved the first movie, Ill be 27 when the 7th comes out! Bah!

I cant wait til the 5th book, which is titled (or supposedly titled) The Order of the Phoenix, and will be a tad bit scarier!

Random Harry Potter Fact:
Harry Potter was origionally intended for an adult audience! Children then began to like the books, and it took hold as a 'chlldrens' series!

<3Alison
Old 01-01-2002, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Harry Potter rules! :D

I just finished book #4 a few days ago. I knew I wanted to read the books when they were first getting hyped up, but hadn't gotten around to it. But I had to read the 1st one before the movie (which I saw opening weekend w/ my lil') came out. I should not have worried, I read it in 2 days!

Anyways, I loved the film, and think I might go see it again tonight, because my lil' & I were just talking about how we can't wait til it's out on DVD, etc. She'll probably go see it with me!

My boyfriend won't go see it, nor will he read the books. He's no fun

Anyways, I wanted to respond about the whole pronounciation thing. I was way off in my head pronouncing Hermoine's name, too! I love in book #4 where she is teaching the kid how to say her name. I was like, "FINALLY!!!!!!! That's how you say it!" Are there any British folk on these boards... is that a common name in England?

Oh, and Cory, I know exactly what you mean about not being able to wait for book #5. I was forcing myself to read only a chapter or 2 a day on Goblet of Fire, but it got really good, and I couldn't put it down! Now I have probably MONTHS to wait until # 5 is out.

To end my really long post: here are 2 great HP web sites:

The Harry Potter Lexicon- all kinds of info. Does have spoilers for all 4 books, read cautiosly!

The WB film site- lots to do, including: getting sorted, choosing a wand (it's really the wand that chooses the wizard you know) creating magic creatures, Quidditch training & of course chat boards, which I know you all love!
Old 01-01-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
The WB site is great! Just watch out, those little kiddies like to role play on the boards, and have cyber sex etc... so pick your threads wisely! Also- they threads move down the board quickly, so if youre really into one, if you can, try to book mark it... or it may end up on page 17 in a few hours!

<3Alison

(Gryffindor House, 8 3/4 Redwood wand with a phoenix feather core)

PS Dont AutoSort if you can. Doing the ritual is cool and dosent take long, plus it puts you in the house you SHOULD be in!)