GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,410
2 members and 1,408 guests
Xidelt, znathanhulzeo24

Old 06-17-2015, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as jnr. How will grades affect me?

i want to rush in the fall as a junior but my grades are about a 2.9 do they look at your grades to factor in if they want you before they give u a bid? & do they look at ur cumulative gpa or just your last quarters or both. Does summer grades count?

I know its really hard getting in as a junior. Should I even bother rushing? I really want to join a sorority but don't want to embarrass myself & not end up getting a bid anywhere, especially since I have friends in sororities...does every girl in the sorority see your grades?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if every single member in every single sorority will see your grades but they will, most likely, know at some point. It's best to have a minimum 3.0GPA going in as an upperclassman. If your grades have been improving greatly in your last few quarters, I would let the alumnae writing your recommendation know that you had a hard first year and have been doing great since then (with specifics like, "X.XX gpa in past 3 quarters", is a good example). Especially if it's at the same school. And summer grades count too! That's a great time to improve your GPA, with potentially less distractions than the school year.

On your recruitment resume, don't be shy about your accomplishments. List all your activities, awards, leadership, community service, etc.

Unfortunately, no one can predict your chances on getting a bid. But you won't get a bid if you don't go through recruitment. Good luck, seize the opportunity, keep an open mind and let us know at GC how things turned out!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah123 View Post
i want to rush in the fall as a junior but my grades are about a 2.9 do they look at your grades to factor in if they want you before they give u a bid? & do they look at ur cumulative gpa or just your last quarters or both. Does summer grades count?

I know its really hard getting in as a junior. Should I even bother rushing? I really want to join a sorority but don't want to embarrass myself & not end up getting a bid anywhere, especially since I have friends in sororities...does every girl in the sorority see your grades?
Grades are absolutely critical. They are the first criteria that will be looked at and the easiest cut to make. A 2.9 GPA as a junior will be difficult to overcome.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, they do look at your grades. Who sees them is going to vary depending on how the chapters do membership selection. It could be that just the recruitment team sees your GPA, or it could be that every woman in the chapter considers your GPA.

How big of an impact it makes is going to depend largely on the school. At some schools, all of the chapters may auto-cut anyone below a 3.0. At other schools, recruitment isn't as competitive, and they have some wiggle room with grades if they really like you.

If registration takes place during the summer and recruitment is at the beginning of the school year, your summer grades may not be taken into consideration. If it's later in the fall, they almost definitely will be considered. Unless you have alumnae submitting letters of recommendation for you, they will not see/know your quarterly GPA (as far as I know).

The only guaranteed way not to get a bid is not to go through recruitment. You shouldn't be embarrassed if you go into it hoping to make friends and meet people, because you certainly will! (Although if it doesn't work out, it's of course natural to feel disappointed.) Best of luck to you.