GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,801
0 members and 1,801 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2001, 08:55 PM
Banned

Question "Frat", derogatory?

Why? I noticed that from reading the TKE vs. SX threads.

BTW, thanks to the specific TKE's and SX's for keeping GC lively, since I can't.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, some people, like myself, do not like the term "Frat". Basically because Fraternity sounds much better. The word "frat" makes most people think of Animal House or Revenge of the Nerds, and that's not what we want people to think about when they see us. At least that is my take on it.

------------------
Brian Sejas
The Miami Chapter of Delta Upsilon, Est. May 13, 1868.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Ya SH80 its derogatory...when i hear people say, "ya im in XYZ frat." Its like someone scraping a chalkboard to me. It even sounds bad when you say it. You take pride in your org when you say im in ABC Fraternity...i mean..doesn't it even sound better. Thats my take on it.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh and thanks for the support SH80...I try to keep it real on here. When people on here ask what do you think of my Fraternity/Sorority and I see people respond with, "OH THEY ARE THE GREATEST KIDS EVER!"and I KNOW their orgs dislike each other, its just so fake to me. You should speak how you feel and not say a little white lie. Ya you might offend some people but hey you should be able to tell the truth on not get a dozen hate posts. But ya i know me and TKEmz take it a little overboard...ok ok a LOT overboard but hey its all in good spirit. If you can't have a little Inter-Fraternity badgering then what gives....not every org gets around their houses and sing kumbaya! :-) Their is a time to be supportive of one another and other times when you need some old school good time rivalry.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:04 AM

I prefer "fraternity," although I think offended is too strong a word for how I feel.

I never use the word "frat" even in conversation. I say "fraternity brother" instead of "frat brother."

It has a much more respectful feel to it.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I usually use the word "fraternity" (except in conversations with fraternity members who have used the word previously). It has nothing to do with which word I prefer, I'm just formal like that. I can see how one can be offended by it. If I were a male and in a fraternity, maybe I would be offended by it.
Old 06-25-2001, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with most of the other people here. I just think when someone says "frat" it makes them sound ignorant...fraternity sounds much more appropriate unless you're trying to sound like someone from Animal House.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally have never seen anything wrong with using the term "frat" and, until now, have never met any fraternity members who felt it was derogatory. I tend to use "fraternity" just because I speak more formally, much like AlphaChiGirl stated earlier.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
As stated in our pledge manual, each potential member is joining the fraternity - not a 'frat' or whatever else you may call it. As such - go ahead and take the time to pronounce those few extra syllables, and refer to it by its name.

That said - it doesn't bother me if other fraternities or sororities use the term; we just choose not to, and for (I feel) good reason.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Our manual talks about joing a Fraternity and not a frat as well if I remember correctly. There is also something in there about how you are a "chapter" and not a "house", but I don't think people will get over using house any time soon.... unless of course they don't have houses on campus.

------------------
Brian Sejas
The Miami Chapter of Delta Upsilon, Est. May 13, 1868.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Frat Boys, Fraternity Men! Frat is a term normally used by GDI to talke about Greek Orgs, The TKE Fraternity is the only one that I know of that call their Brothers Fraters! I May be wrong! Frat is a derogitory Term To mean US! FRAT RATS! SORO SLUTS!BS we do more on a campus tha anyone else!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 06-26-2001, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
A buddy of mine (now TKE) was once speaking of this issue before we left for college...and it's the best summary yet.

"You shouldn't call a fraternity a frat, Would you call your country a C#^+"
(I'm hoping you can guess what that word is)

Personally I never say frat, but I am entirely indifferent to the word, thus I don't take offense or even have a second thought regarding its usage.

Tom is right-
It's only the GDIers that use it
It's a strange thing, the bitterness of nonfraternity guys to fraternity guys
Old 06-27-2001, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

At my house the brothers are cool with calling it a "frat," and we don't mind when or sorority friends call it one either. We only care when people use it to prove a stereotype or to sound derogitory. When out of the house, or taking to people, I always use "fraternity," because when I pledged we were given the line...

Would you call your father "fat," your mother a "moth," and your country a "c**t?" NO, so don't call your fraternity a "frat."
Old 06-26-2001, 03:52 PM
UMgirl

At UM we use both words and probably frat more, however more people say what house is XYZ in. And the GDI's actually use the word fraternity more often. I guess with us it just depends on what kind of mood were in. I know some guys who hate the word frat, but I know alot of them who do anything and everything for their fraternity and use the word frat. I guess its all about what you make the word frat out to be. As thye know they dont fit the stereotype they see nothing wrong with it. My sisters and I always say we are sororsitiutes in a whorority. But its joking and we know we dont fit the type, and if others want to believe it, then screw them.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp:
The TKE Fraternity is the only one that I know of that call their Brothers Fraters! I May be wrong!
The word frater is pronounced frAHter (rhymes with water). So while it looks like frat, it is far from that. And yes, our book "The Teke Guide" does say that "frat" is a derogatory word and should not be used. Of course, all of us slip sometime or another, especially online, all those pesky abreviations.

------------------
------------------
No funny squiggles, just bold letters: TKE