GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Psi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 705
0 members and 705 guests
No Members online

Old 01-18-2005, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

A couple questions...

Hi all--
Sorry to crash your board, but I have a few questions and I was hoping one (or several) of you could answer them, or at least point me in the right direction.

A good friend of mine rushed KKPsi at Purdue this semester. Great girl, VERY enthusiastic about band and all things music, great leadership skills...long story short, she didn't get into KKPsi (I suspect because of grades; despite the fact she barely made the required GPA, she had a rocky first semester). She's very disappointed because a lot of her friends are in it and she really wants to become more involved.

I really want to help her out, so I just thought I'd ask...Does KKPsi use letters of rec from alumni/active members? If so, do they help?(On that note, can someone from TBS write a letter for someone rushing KKPsi? I just thought I'd ask because they seem very closely affiliated at my school.)
Also, can my friend re-rush? How long would she have to wait before re-rushing?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
Hey, i thought i would respond b/c i don't know how long it will be before a Brother answers this post.

You sound like a great friend - best of luck to your friend in her pursuit of Kappa Kappa Psi. each of the questions you've asked has the same answer - "it depends on the chapter."

not all chapters require letters of recommendation, the ones that do might only accept them from actives (not alumn), a letter from a member of Tau Beta Sigma might (should?) not have any weight in dealing with obtaining Kappa Kappa Psi membership, etc.

your friend will probably be able to go out for Kappa Kappa Psi the next time they have membership activites - there is no official "waiting period"... but as i said before, it depends on the chapter.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Dittoing what BLUTANG said regarding recs and a waiting period-- TBS and KKPsi are not like the social organizations and do not conform to their rules of rush and such. Individual campuses may be different, however, in their guidelines of letting any student into any organization, so she may want to double-check with the student activites/organizations office just to double check.

My suggestion would be to look into pursuing membership again when her grades are more stable-- it's very possible that she will get in. She may wish to talk to the active brothers, too, and get to know them.

And if she's not fitting in with KKPsi, there is a strong TBS chapter there as well.

Best,
Mel.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice! My friend and I went through middle school/high school together--I was a section leader in our hs marching band and she was in my section and always was such a dedicated participant. I was just so shocked when she didn't get in, I felt like I should try and help her in some capacity. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Somehow I missed this thread.

Blutang & Measi pretty much have this covered...it will most likely depend on the chapter.

My chapter never received any letters of recommendation, so they might not know what to do w/ it if they did receive one!

Definitely make sure she gets her grades up. We told a few prospectives to come back when they had a better grasp on their academic situation.

One thing that might help her is to volunteer w/ the band...such as if the school hosts an honor band, she should volunteer to be an usher, runner, etc. during the event. If they see her desire to serve the band program, that would probably help.