GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,526
2 members and 2,524 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

SigmaGirl2000, do you know if that badge is smaller than today's standard? It looks like the ΣΚ is lower too. Isn't it normally more centered?

Swoon worthy indeed... Although AzTheta and Guusteau will fawn over the opals, it's the scalloping that gets me! (although lest they throw an opal-induced fit, the opals are rather nice too )
Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
SigmaGirl2000, do you know if that badge is smaller than today's standard? It looks like the ΣΚ is lower too. Isn't it normally more centered?
This definitely looks OLD. Definitely before one official jeweler. The letters are lower, as you stated. Also, the enamel is different than any I've ever seen before. There are only 15 jewels in this badge instead of the standard 18. I'm pretty sure I'd trade in my engagement ring in a second for this badge.

Off topic, I had a dream a few weeks ago about finding a very sad badge in an antique shop missing many pearls, and also finding another sad badge from another organization (don't know which, silly dream), that was missing several opals but still had more than 18. Of course in my dream, everything worked out and the opals fit perfectly into the sad pearl-less badge I found. The jeweler fixed it all up and I was pretty much happy as a clam (why are clams happy?).

Yeah. I'm that cool 30 year old kid who dreams about badges and antique stores. Did I really just turn 30 this week? Ugh. Perhaps it's a midlife crisis....

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post

Don't they call this pie crust? I love it. Almost bought an AOII badge once that had the same effect on the O with pearls. This is such a beautiful badge. I can't believe someone got it for ONLY $400.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post

Swoon worthy indeed... Although AzTheta and Guusteau will fawn over the opals, it's the scalloping that gets me! (although lest they throw an opal-induced fit, the opals are rather nice too )
Now, now... I will admit to admiring both the opals and the scalloping. That badge is stunning, and I hope it belongs to a Sigma Kappa who cherishes it.

I have two (yes, TWO) opal Delta Chi badges that I need to post pictures of. I sent AzTheta my crappy cell phone pictures of them, but I need to do better than that for you all. Actually, I could use some help here: the pictures look great on my iPhone, but I emailed them to AzTheta and they were much smaller and seemed to have poor resolution. Any advice?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Now, now... I will admit to admiring both the opals and the scalloping. That badge is stunning, and I hope it belongs to a Sigma Kappa who cherishes it.

I have two (yes, TWO) opal Delta Chi badges that I need to post pictures of. I sent AzTheta my crappy cell phone pictures of them, but I need to do better than that for you all. Actually, I could use some help here: the pictures look great on my iPhone, but I emailed them to AzTheta and they were much smaller and seemed to have poor resolution. Any advice?
It will usually give you an option of the resolution that you want to use...pick full size.

AOII

Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
It will usually give you an option of the resolution that you want to use...pick full size.
That's what I did, and now that I've retraced my steps I realized what I did wrong. I'll post them soon!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post

O.M.G. I would die for this. looks at the enamel and the letters and the not enough jewels. WOW. And you can see where the pin drops down an the scalloping around the opals. SWOOOOOOOON!

Serious giddiness here!

AZTheta/ IndianaSigKap, this is not the badge from my alumnae chapter member, this is the one on Denise's pinterest.... and Denise is my new favorite person ever for posting this picture!
This badge is definitely much older than the one my chapter had. Our president's badge did not have the scalloping. The SK letters are in the normal place.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally found my photobucket account and password! I was going to hold onto these but I got excited so I'm posting. I do not own these badges, they are on display at Delta Chi HQ.

This badge is a 1925 opal and diamond badge. A replica of it is used as our international treasurer's badge. I love the engraving on the chi!

I don't have any date on this badge, now would I be comfortable guessing. It's been attached to a necklace chain, perhaps as a sweetheart badge. The fire in those opals is gorgeous though!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Finally found my photobucket account and password! I was going to hold onto these but I got excited so I'm posting. I do not own these badges, they are on display at Delta Chi HQ.

This badge is a 1925 opal and diamond badge. A replica of it is used as our international treasurer's badge. I love the engraving on the chi!

I don't have any date on this badge, now would I be comfortable guessing. It's been attached to a necklace chain, perhaps as a sweetheart badge. The fire in those opals is gorgeous though!

Swoon! Amazing. So many opals! This is so making up for the lack of activity lately. Thanks for posting!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, Gusteau...you outdid yourself!

AOII

Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

That's gorgeous!! All those opals!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Badges with opals

I found these pin on the web with opals. Some very nice.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

Alpha Phi Psi University of Cincinnati

Here is a nice old diamond Alpha Phi Psi sorority pin from the University of Cincinnati which became a chapter of KKG.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

This turned up on "that site"

No idea what it is - but it was nifty.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

Oh, that's from the old Delta Gamma high school sorority. Its from the Zeta chapter. From what I know, it was founded in the late 1800, and was not associated with the collegiate sorority, but sometime in the early 1900s, a lawsuit was filed and they eventually changed the name to Delta Gamma Delta.