GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,513
0 members and 1,513 guests
No Members online

Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Because MS is confidential there's no way to 'verify' that it was a mistake, all panhel gets is the bidlist. And that's what they go on. As far as Suzy knows, she was wanted by ABC, and the chapter should in fact treat her that way. How in the world are you going to figure out whose chapter she should go to otherwise? What if ABC was number one on her bidlist or the only one on her bidlist? There is no way to 'fix' things that doesn't punish the PNM.
Again, this really depends on whether it's "why, there's Sweetiepie Suzie who we had to cut because of RFM, in our letters. Huh." or "why, there's Evil Edna who the GA and the quota obsessed alum/advisor begged us to invite back after we cut her, but we didn't, in our letters. Grrrr." Carnation's OP was worded to make me believe she was talking about the latter example.

I would wager that the SSs end up sticking around, but the EEs probably get the hint and quit before initiation, and then have to wait a year. That's too bad, because one group's Evil Edna could be another group's Excellent Edna.

Quote:

Reasons the whole chapter should see the list:
To know who's coming and who your assigned NM is for the event and to glee over everything

Reasons the whole chapter should not police the list: because that's what advisors and recruitment chairs are for.
The effectiveness/impartiality/knowledge of these persons is often greatly exaggerated. Some chapters are lucky, some aren't, often through no fault of their own. Some chapters feel blessed if they have an advisor who shows up at one meeting a year, let alone has a clue what's going on with rush. Some chapters have a rush chair who has An Agenda and could care less about the wishes of her sisters.

Quote:
/has a feeling there's more to this 'occurence' than meets the eye
//and that it's really incredibly rare in the first place.
I hope.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Oh, I wouldn't revoke the bid (unless she was an axe murderer or something) - as you point out, there's just no good way to remedy the situation without hurting the new member.
Yeah I didn't see you doing that it was a general response.

Odds are she isn't unqualified to be a member, just not a good fit for the chapter, or just didn't do well at that chapter's events. None of that justifies dropping her, or trying to reassign her, and frankly you probably don't want to let her know she was a mistake.

New members/outsiders do not see the sausage making that is MS and bid matching for a reason.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

New members/outsiders do not see the sausage making that is MS and bid matching for a reason.
TRUTH.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Once again, you're not understanding what I'm saying AT ALL. I don't mean whether she is "fit" for membership, or if she embodies the creed or whatever. I am talking about HOW. PEOPLE. VOTED.
I understand you completely. Her getting a bid IS a mistake. I know that. I understand the chapter did not vote to extend her a bid. I get that. You said she shouldn't get a bid because she didn't fit the requirements, not because she wasn't voted upon. I agree with the first part, and not the second part in regards to this situation.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Can we say that it's probably a good idea for the WHOLE chapter to see a list of who's showing up at bid day before it begins and before women are notified? Even regardless of stuff like this...it's probably best for the whole chapter to know in advance that Ultimate Rush Crush Of Everyone picked another sorority instead of yours, instead of it having to "trickle through" the bid day festivities.
We got bid lists around 8am, and bids went out around 2pm. That said, I can't imagine anyone but the president, recruitment chair, or reference/computer chair noticing that someone was on there who shouldn't be.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
I understand you completely. Her getting a bid IS a mistake. I know that. I understand the chapter did not vote to extend her a bid. I get that. You said she shouldn't get a bid because she didn't fit the requirements, not because she wasn't voted upon. I agree with the first part, and not the second part in regards to this situation.
I was using the word "requirements" to avoid getting too precise/technical about MS. Since you STILL don't get it, I'll spell it out: a PNM receiving a certain minimum score during MS is a REQUIREMENT to receive a bid.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was using the word "requirements" to avoid getting too precise/technical about MS. Since you STILL don't get it, I'll spell it out: a PNM receiving a certain minimum score during MS is a REQUIREMENT to receive a bid.
The bid was received.
There's your problem. Chapters are responsible for policing their bidlist, but once it is sent, it is considered accurate. There are numerous reasons for why this is a necessary way to handle things, there are not takebacks, redos, whoopsydaisies, or my bads.

Her name's on the bidlist, congratulations you have a marvelous new member.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

This may be a dumb question, but say Laura Legacy is at a school where they let legacies through the whole process with their specific legacy sorority all the way up until pref. I was under the impression that it was like that at some schools. So, if she is a legacy to ABC and only wants to be an ABC, yet she slept with the exec board's boyfriends the summer before recruitment (for argument's sake). ABC, after pref, says no, absolutely not, we don't want her. She somehow gets in, due to whatever mix-up or other involvement by someone else. Wouldn't it be preferable for her to be told that no, sorry, she actually didn't get a bid, and then also, would she be eligible to get a snap bid from XYZ, providing they were below quota? Whether XYZ was the other house she preffed or not?

Again, ridiculous circumstances and ignore if you like, but I thought of that and was wondering.

And re: Splash's thoughts, I disagree- I definitely think that it would be preferable to hurt the PNM's feelings (no matter how regrettably) in order for the benefit of the sorority, who did not want her in, and to allow her to join a different sorority at some point that she would be a better fit for.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

And mistakes occur. You're preaching the rules. Everyone knows the rules. When there are mystery members, likely something has gone awry. Technically she should not have gotten the bid. We know this. That is because of what you're saying. She wasn't voted to receive a bid. Yes, this is true. But then a mistake happens and she gets one. I'm saying if the only requirement she didn't meet was not being voted to receive a bid, then maybe this can slide. To be clear, this is what I mean when I was referring to your blandly inoffensive comment.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
This may be a dumb question, but say Laura Legacy is at a school where they let legacies through the whole process with their specific legacy sorority all the way up until pref. I was under the impression that it was like that at some schools. So, if she is a legacy to ABC and only wants to be an ABC, yet she slept with the exec board's boyfriends the summer before recruitment (for argument's sake). ABC, after pref, says no, absolutely not, we don't want her. She somehow gets in, due to whatever mix-up or other involvement by someone else. Wouldn't it be preferable for her to be told that no, sorry, she actually didn't get a bid, and then also, would she be eligible to get a snap bid from XYZ, providing they were below quota? Whether XYZ was the other house she preffed or not?

Again, ridiculous circumstances and ignore if you like, but I thought of that and was wondering.
Why in the world would she want a bid to XYZ at that point? Also you cannot say no after pref, this is a major violation of rules. Any school/chapter/org that allows legacies a head start like this would have some sort of override/objection process to prevent your axe murderers and your 'slept with president's boyfriend' types.

Basically by giving her a bid you've removed all other options from her except any chapter that didn't meet quota, which she may or may not have been seeking. You removed any chance of her actually being matched where she belonged, because your chapter screwed up the bidlist (you =ABC) so you get to keep her because the bidlist is the bidlist.

Quote:
And re: Splash's thoughts, I disagree- I definitely think that it would be preferable to hurt the PNM's feelings (no matter how regrettably) in order for the benefit of the sorority, who did not want her in, and to allow her to join a different sorority at some point that she would be a better fit for.
So if there's a PNM you really hate, the best bet would be to string her along, give her an 'accidental' bid and then 'fix' the mistake, right? Orgs are responsible for the list, once it's out of their hands, it is considered completed. That's why there's a deadline.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Another KD- Question. What if they didn't mind? What if upon seeing her on the bid list they said: Oh, I was sad we had to release her due to RFM or whatever, but cool, we got her!

Would you still say no bid, because she was originally voted not to receive one?

JW, something I was thinking about
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why in the world would she want a bid to XYZ at that point? Also you cannot say no after pref, this is a major violation of rules. Any school/chapter/org that allows legacies a head start like this would have some sort of override/objection process to prevent your axe murderers and your 'slept with president's boyfriend' types.

Basically by giving her a bid you've removed all other options from her except any chapter that didn't meet quota, which she may or may not have been seeking. You removed any chance of her actually being matched where she belonged, because your chapter screwed up the bidlist (you =ABC) so you get to keep her because the bidlist is the bidlist.

So if there's a PNM you really hate, the best bet would be to string her along, give her an 'accidental' bid and then 'fix' the mistake, right? Orgs are responsible for the list, once it's out of their hands, it is considered completed. That's why there's a deadline.
Okay for your top part- it was just a question, and I said upfront it might be a dumb question. I'm not as familiar with the process as you are. But for the second, I could have sworn seeing where there are schools that allow legacies to attend all functions of that sorority during recruitment through pref, even if the sorority isn't fond of the PNM. It's not stringing the PNM along.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
The bid was received.
There's your problem. Chapters are responsible for policing their bidlist, but once it is sent, it is considered accurate. There are numerous reasons for why this is a necessary way to handle things, there are not takebacks, redos, whoopsydaisies, or my bads.

Her name's on the bidlist, congratulations you have a marvelous new member.
Yes, unfortunately, true, unless you want to completely show your ass as to how you pick your members and I think nationals would rather take a pledge class full of nastyass honey badgers than do that. That's why I think everyone should get a gander at it before it goes to the GA/Greek life office. Obviously we are seeing that all the different orgs (and most likely, different chapters within the orgs) have VERY differing degrees of responsibility conferred upon rush chairs or advisors.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

According to the NPC Manual of Information, if a woman is invited to preference, she is on your bid list somewhere. In other words, no one can be released after pref parties.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Gotcha.