GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 2,420
0 members and 2,420 guests
No Members online

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Any picture of you will be fine. It should be you, alone, and can be with any sort of background, in any setting.(the park is fine)

The important thing is that it look like you. Do not send in a pic of you before you gained 30 pounds and cut your hair 10 inches and added red highlights. They need to be able to recognize you. That is the whole point of the picture - to put a name with a face.

Some schools like a head shot and full body shot as well. Find out what is the norm at your school by contacting Greek life or a local panhellenic group.
Thank you! I will get pictures taken in mid-July!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
The whole idea of including a photo is so that you will be recognized. You want to make it easy for sisters to know who you are from the minute you walk in the door. Some schools do ask for both a head shot and a full body shot - when you do the full body shot, include something that will give an idea of how tall you are. Not a yardstick or a goat, but something like a baton, a door, a barre - you get the idea.

If you use the park, don't wear camo. It'll scare the chipmunks and the sisters alike!
Camooo!!!! I would never be seen wearing camo! haha! Thank you for your help!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle09 View Post
So obviously no glamour shots! haha! So only headshots- head and shoulders? Or can it be a professional photograph in a park just sitting down?
Quote:
Thank you! I will get pictures taken in mid-July!
I have no idea when your Recruitment starts, but something to keep in mind if it's in August. In my personal experience professional photographers aren't always speedy when it comes to providing proofs and then prints after the order is made.

Please make sure you have your pix in plenty of time to get them to your Rec writers, who then need time to send them to the chapters before Recruitment starts.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

My hometown Panhellenic, which at the time was most familiar with women going through SEC rushes, provided a great guide when I was registering for rush. They recommended the "drape" senior portraits, or any good, neutral photograph. They didn't recommend getting professionally made portraits, since most people had a zillion senior photos anyway; full-face photos were recommended.

I registered for Rush--and hence, created the packets--before I was committed to my college, so it would have been hard to follow my school's recommendation. Also, the women in my chapter had never seen a rush package before. Ha!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I just finished going through a stack of alumnae Panhel info forms, getting them ready to distribute to our member groups.

PLEASE use a picture where your face can be seen. One girl's photo showed her sitting on a bench with her back to the camera, and her head turned to face the camera. All you can see is her profile. Another girl's photo shows her sitting by a lake. Her face is so tiny I can't even see what it looks like.

PLEASE select a flattering photo. I had one cute girl give me photos that were evidently taken on a sour day for her. What was she thinking?

Professional photos are NOT necessary, although a pro will probably give you the most flattering results. But a good snapshot is fine. And a lot cheaper to make multiple copies of.

ONE photo per sorority is plenty. Two is plenty. At least IMHO. Don't be like the girl who gave me an 8 x 10 collage of about 15.

PUT YOUR NAME AND HOMETOWN ON THE BACK OF EVERY PHOTO!!!
Half these girls had no name on their photo. I had to write the names on each one. I was NOT happy! And what if I had dropped a few packets? How am I supposed to know who you are?
You may be the only "Jenn Johnson" at Hometown High School. You can bet that Big State University will have at least a couple of other "Jenn Johnsons" going through recruitment.

Let me repeat that:

Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I just finished going through a stack of alumnae Panhel info forms, getting them ready to distribute to our member groups.

PLEASE use a picture where your face can be seen. One girl's photo showed her sitting on a bench with her back to the camera, and her head turned to face the camera. All you can see is her profile. Another girl's photo shows her sitting by a lake. Her face is so tiny I can't even see what it looks like.

PLEASE select a flattering photo. I had one cute girl give me photos that were evidently taken on a sour day for her. What was she thinking?

Professional photos are NOT necessary, although a pro will probably give you the most flattering results. But a good snapshot is fine. And a lot cheaper to make multiple copies of.

ONE photo per sorority is plenty. Two is plenty. At least IMHO. Don't be like the girl who gave me an 8 x 10 collage of about 15.

Half these girls had no name on their photo. I had to write the names on each one. I was NOT happy! And what if I had dropped a few packets? How am I supposed to know who you are?
You may be the only "Jenn Johnson" at Hometown High School. You can bet that Big State University will have at least a couple of other "Jenn Johnsons" going through recruitment.

Let me repeat that:

yes, yes, yes!! name and hometown and perhaps the name of your highschool on the back of your photos is a must.

you really don't need professional photos made. a cute snapshot that shows your face and is flattering is sufficient. it doesn't have to be recent as long as the "you" in the photo is recognizible as the pnm walking thru the sorority's door.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They recommended the "drape" senior portraits, or any good, neutral photograph. They didn't recommend getting professionally made portraits, since most people had a zillion senior photos anyway; full-face photos were recommended.
Agree! If you already have some senior photos, just use those. Or any cute photo that shows off your face that would be appropriate for Grandma to frame and keep in her sitting room. Think cheerful smile, not-too-strange clothing or background, the makeup & hair you typically wear every day.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
...when you do the full body shot, include something that will give an idea of how tall you are. Not a...goat...
Why not a goat? (I totally snorted cherry Coke up my nose when I read this, by the way.)
Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post

Let me repeat that:

Thanks! I will write down my name and hometown on the back of my photograph!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrelyre View Post
Why not a goat? (I totally snorted cherry Coke up my nose when I read this, by the way.)
Thanks for calling that out. A GOAT!!! I'm still laughing at the image in my head of XYZ sorority getting a picture of a PNM in camo with a bleating goat.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnlady View Post
Thanks for calling that out. A GOAT!!! I'm still laughing at the image in my head of XYZ sorority getting a picture of a PNM in camo with a bleating goat.
Hahahaha! I would look pretty ridiculous- to say the least!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So obviously no glamour shots! haha! So only headshots- head and shoulders? Or can it be a professional photograph in a park just sitting down?

I personally wouldn't pay a few hundred bucks for a "head shot" just for your sorority resume (because that's what real head shots will cost you, but it's your choice and money. True heads hots (like what actors get done) are supposed to look like you on your best day. NOT super made, up, not posing, not with accessories. However, what most people think of when they want a head shot is something that makes them look "glamorous". I am not sure what your idea of a "head shot" is, but I am sharing my personal experience.

You can have someone take a nice snapshot of you, or if you have your mind set on getting shots done, consider the following:

- Look at photographers' websites to see the style of their work (or to get ideas if a friend is taking your picture). If you're spending the money, you might as well use a photographer who does work with actors.
-Take a look at what people wear, if the pics are done inside or outside, if the people in the pics look natural.
- Solid colors are better than patterns, color is better than black or white. Brighter colors are better than pastels, but it depends on your complexion coloring and hair color.
-No deep v-necks, no big collars. Keep your hair down and "natural" (versus a severe or hairsprayed style). The focus should be on your face.
- Practice smiling in the mirror. What connects people to your picture is what is going on in your eyes. When taking the picture, think of happy, fun things. It will show in your eyes. Like Tyra Banks says on America's Next Top Model, "smile with your eyes".
- Don't do any unnatural things with your body, like looking over your shoulder.

Like I said, you want the picture to look like the best version of you, because when you walk in the door, you should look like you do in the picture.

No matter where you go or who takes your pictures, keep that in mind.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 06-30-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I personally wouldn't pay a few hundred bucks for a "head shot" just for your sorority resume (because that's what real head shots will cost you, but it's your choice and money. True heads hots (like what actors get done) are supposed to look like you on your best day. NOT super made, up, not posing, not with accessories. However, what most people think of when they want a head shot is something that makes them look "glamorous". I am not sure what your idea of a "head shot" is, but I am sharing my personal experience.

You can have someone take a nice snapshot of you, or if you have your mind set on getting shots done, consider the following:

- Look at photographers' websites to see the style of their work (or to get ideas if a friend is taking your picture). If you're spending the money, you might as well use a photographer who does work with actors.
-Take a look at what people wear, if the pics are done inside or outside, if the people in the pics look natural.
- Solid colors are better than patterns, color is better than black or white. Brighter colors are better than pastels, but it depends on your complexion coloring and hair color.
-No deep v-necks, no big collars. Keep your hair down and "natural" (versus a severe or hairsprayed style). The focus should be on your face.
- Practice smiling in the mirror. What connects people to your picture is what is going on in your eyes. When taking the picture, think of happy, fun things. It will show in your eyes. Like Tyra Banks says on America's Next Top Model, "smile with your eyes".
- Don't do any unnatural things with your body, like looking over your shoulder.

Like I said, you want the picture to look like the best version of you, because when you walk in the door, you should look like you do in the picture.

No matter where you go or who takes your pictures, keep that in mind.
I may get a friend to take one of me. I saw a few pictures online that gave me an idea of what I think it should look like:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RICHAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

What do you think?
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RICHAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RICHAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

those are all good-you can see the face clearly. the girls look friendly and wholesome, girl next-doorish.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

If you insist on using a prop, what you don't want to do is have one that will give you a nickname among the actives, like "Goat Girl", (FSUZeta will remember this one) "Bubbles", or 'Uncle Sam".