GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,094
1 members and 1,093 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2019, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy COW DistantXOcousin. HOLY COW! is all I got for that.

SO now my brain is working on the "bigger picture" (the problem has been identified and described so now what are the treatments/solutions?), and to me that includes NPC doing a better job of informing pnms and parents. See where I'm going with this?

I still stand by my closing statement, I hope your pnm has a good outcome. Still SMH at the "shock" though. You just need to spend a little time on youtube, looking at videos, and you will have a pretty good picture of what's at stake.

Reminding myself that we're dealing with 18 year olds and there's that to figure into the equation.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-11-2019, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Holy COW DistantXOcousin. HOLY COW! is all I got for that.

SO now my brain is working on the "bigger picture" (the problem has been identified and described so now what are the treatments/solutions?), and to me that includes NPC doing a better job of informing pnms and parents. See where I'm going with this?

I still stand by my closing statement, I hope your pnm has a good outcome. Still SMH at the "shock" though. You just need to spend a little time on youtube, looking at videos, and you will have a pretty good picture of what's at stake.

Reminding myself that we're dealing with 18 year olds and there's that to figure into the equation.
I see exactly where you’re going, AZTheta!
It’s changed a lot since I was in school but, at the same time, it hasn’t changed at all. I understand that the NPC is trying to make recruitment more inclusive and available to everyone but I’m of the opinion that they should flat out tell you that you need recs, when the girls who don’t know that much about recruitment turn up without letters and are thrown into the mix with the girls who do, it just makes the divide that much larger.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantXOcousin View Post
I see exactly where you’re going, AZTheta!
It’s changed a lot since I was in school but, at the same time, it hasn’t changed at all. I understand that the NPC is trying to make recruitment more inclusive and available to everyone but I’m of the opinion that they should flat out tell you that you need recs, when the girls who don’t know that much about recruitment turn up without letters and are thrown into the mix with the girls who do, it just makes the divide that much larger.
Yes!

I would go ahead and write that Bama rec. it's late, but someone "might" take a look at it. It's worth a shot.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Yes!

I would go ahead and write that Bama rec. it's late, but someone "might" take a look at it. It's worth a shot.
I got a request from 2 friends at Alabama who have daughters going through and 3! at Oklahoma. I’ll write them but at this point, I think it’s like throwing a cotton ball into a waterfall to try and stop the flow.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

If y'all's are electronic, I'd go on and do them. It will drop them in the appropriate place with the chapters so will show easily on their end.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Photos from day 1

https://www.redandblack.com/multimed...421db2697.html
Old 08-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Her mom went to a smaller school during a time when you stepped onto campus, went through rush, and got a house just like that. She thought it would be like that for her as well and now she's seeing that there are places where she fits in and doesn't fit in and it's all sort of jarring for her.
I don’t get this mindset. I went to a small college with what would be considered a non competitive rush. None of us went to tons of inter-chapter or interschool Greek conferences or anything like that. Yet even as collegians, we all knew that there were some chapters of our group and some entire campuses where none of us would have had a snowball’s chance at getting in. And this is long before you could look on the Internet!! The parents who think like this must be the same ones who’ve forgotten what a snake pit adolescence in general can be.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Here's what I don't get...rompers.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
All I can say is that I saw quite a few rompers walking the row and helping in the house today and I'm not yet sure how you can fix yourself in them. I felt so bad for some of the pnms. It's hot hot hot here in Tuscaloosa and I think it would be hellish to try and get some air circulation in one of those.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
BWAHAAAA! Totally agree...although the footwear for many PNMs looks way more comfortable than in recent years.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Her mother rushed back in the day and told her about "extra" houses and she was under the impression that Sigma Delta Tau at Georgia was like their chapter at Alabama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I rushed back in the day at a "laid back" UCSB and even I knew better back then (no "extra" houses, all were competitive),and I know way better now.

What are "extra" houses?

True and Constant
Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
What are "extra" houses?
My friend calls the houses that don’t go through primary recruitment the “extra” houses. She thinks that Sigma Delta Tau at Alabama is the reflection for SDT chapters everywhere, UGA SDT is in primary recruitment and she didn’t expect the intense competition for a bid card and now she’s seeing that UGA is pretty extreme when it comes to getting a house.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually think social media can be more detrimental than helpful when it comes to sorority recruitment. There's more of an opportunity for incorrect information to be passed around at a much quicker pace.

It used to be that women, especially in more competitive recruitment situations, mainly learned the ins and outs of such a system from those who were closest to them; older women who had been through the same process before. Potential new members are now asking their questions on open internet forums, and they don't truly know who's responding back to them.

And now there are so many more women who are attending school out of state and falling into these SEC/competitive environments having no one in their family or circle of friends who have experienced such a thing before. And because there is such a "need" to attend college these days, there are still many women starting school who are the first ones in their family to have done so. It's hard enough navigating the start of college with little direction from your family, let alone jumping into sorority recruitment at the same time.

I think many times the internet is too heavily relied on - although it can sometimes be out of necessity - and it can get women who have little to no knowledge of their specific school's recruitment process into trouble.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-12-2019, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My friend calls the houses that don’t go through primary recruitment the “extra” houses. She thinks that Sigma Delta Tau at Alabama is the reflection for SDT chapters everywhere, UGA SDT is in primary recruitment and she didn’t expect the intense competition for a bid card and now she’s seeing that UGA is pretty extreme when it comes to getting a house.

Ohhhhhhh....got it!

True and Constant
Old 08-12-2019, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I agree...while light weight, most those rompers aren't made from fabrics that easily breathe, so with the heat, I can only imagine! I was flipping through the pictures and it looked like everyone was all wearing similar outfits from Kohls. And yes, the shoes/sandales looked a lot more comfy and down to earth than what seemed to be common in years past!