GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,729
0 members and 1,729 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rileykae
Supernatural Recruitment

So, I realize I was acting childish over my freshman year recruitment experiences, and I'm trying again this year - going into a new university and a new year of recruitment as a new person.

I now have a 3.0 GPA, multiple community service projects and volunteer hours under my belt, and defined proof that I can be a leader, as I joined the National Society of Leadership and Success in the Spring semester.

I've gotten into contact with several alum of the sororities at my new uni asking about rec letters, and I'm hoping the chapters at the school will receive them soon from the people I asked. I have updated my wardrobe in preparation for this fall's events, and have registered for formal recruitment.

I'm aware I need to go in with an open mind and not be so cynical this year, and not be too broken up if things don't go my way again.

I'm just asking for any advice you can offer to a sophomore PNM, not sure if there's another thread with this subject (I mostly wanted to apologize to the people I snapped at all that time ago. I'm sorry.)

Dean, Sam, Castiel, and Crowley are the sororities at my school, this'll be updated after everything happens.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Read Strawberry Gloss' re-recruitment. It's a good one. It sounds like you're going in with the right attitude and a good plan. Good luck to you! :-)

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...trawberrygloss
Old 08-23-2015, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

thank you! I'm hoping for the best!
Old 08-29-2015, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like you are well prepared. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Pre Recruitment Greek Showcase Update!

This was the day we got to meet the different Greek groups that are at my university. They crammed all of us into the movie hall and had us sit in groups of five, three potential greeks to two active/alumni to a table. Every five minutes we moved to a new table to talk to different people.
I wore something that made me feel good, despite still being nervous - this wasn’t technically recruitment, but it was still making a first impression. I decided to go with denim shorts, the drape top from my recruitment headshot, and my favourite brown anarak hoodie. I wore black ballet flats and braided my hair, then matte pink lipstick with some brown eyeliner.

Impressions as of 9/1/15:

Sam: his girls seemed...welcoming, reassuring and open to answering all questions. I mentioned that I had two alumnae send rec letters to him and the girl who I was talking to immediately seemed more interested in me, asking who they should be looking for as to whom the PNM the rec letter was about. I told them my name.

Dean: he seemed a little overwhelmed by all the activity of the night, but VERY diverse. When we got to talk to some of his girls, I noticed a few had disabilities and there were even girls of colour in the group - something I thought you didn’t see often with Dean girls. They were very nice, and answered the questions I asked about philanthropy and community service. As to the rec letters, the girl I was talking to gave me the contact info for the President, as she wasn’t sure if they had received them, suggesting I email the President and let her know that letters had been sent to them.

Castiel: he seemed to have an air of superiority about his girls, but I didn’t get talk to them much and I’d still really like to know more about them. Honestly I think I got a little judgmental because the shirts his girls were wearing were the exact same style as one of the sororities at my previous university, and I was automatically reminded of that recruitment and the bad taste in my mouth came back. I’m going into next week hoping I get to see more of what he and his girls are about so I can let that reminder fade away into hopefully new, better memories.

Crowley: I was surprised to find he only had two representatives at the meet and greet event. It turns out his girls do not follow a regular recruitment schedule with the other three, they told us where we could learn more about them. The next day, after this after my classes had ended, I saw them tabling and stopped to talk to them. I gave them my email and phone number, as that’s how they want to contact potential members. Later that day I received an email of their events - most will take place on Tuesdays, beginning on the 8th of September. Because of my work schedule, it’s probable I will miss all if not most of these events - being so, I will attend Crowley’s events only when I do not work. I will miss their first event on 9/8, but may be able to attend the others.

This update was because this was a prior-to-recruitment event in which we got to meet the Greek groups. I’ll update again when everything is over because I’ll be pretty busy until then anyways.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile New schedules

This was basically learning how recruitment is going to work. It seems pretty simple. Friday we get 25 minutes with each chapter with breaks inbetween, saturday is 45 minutes with each chapter with breaks inbetween then ranking for pref, sunday is an hour with each of two chapters for preference, then final selection forms. Monday night we receive bids if they’re being offered.

I got to talk with some girls from Sam again tonight. The girls recognized me from the rec letter they had received earlier in the week, and talked with me a bit more about the process, seeing as they knew I was going through recruitment for the second year - they were confident I would find my place in Greek life this year, and were glad I was going through again. The Castiel girls that I talked to were very quiet, but still shared stories about why they went greek and encouraged us to come to the rest of the events (this was also the only group in my university’s panhellenic council that I had not been able to get rec letters for, unfortunately.). Dean had no representatives we could talk to at the orientation session I attended, though there was another session later that night.

I also got to talk to some panhellenic council representatives, mostly about calming my fears of going through recruitment at a new university - I was given a general requirement baseline for GPA (of which I am currently above the minimum for all three groups), and a reassurance that the numbers would be smaller in comparison to my previous experience, as my former university was very competitive and the odds seemed not as stacked against me. I hope that this year will be better for me. Here’s to further updates and to what the future may bring.

See you all in two weeks!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Excited to hear how it goes!
Old 09-18-2015, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Round One

Round One: Open House

Rounds are done in 25 minutes with breaks in between. Dress attire is ‘snappy casual’ - this meant I wore dressy dark jeans, the orange/peach drape top with a black cardigan and my white slip on sandals. For jewelry I just wore my claddagh and a trinity knot necklace. Makeup was simple, a dark pink lipstick with a light brushing of brown eyeshadow. After check in, I sat in the gathering room waiting to meet my Gamma Chi. Since check in was a 6, the rounds didn’t begin until 7.

Sam: When my group went in to talk to Sam’s girls, we were greeted by them singing and then paired off. I got to talk to a total of five girls, all of whom seemed eager to hand me to their sister to talk to me, so I got to meet alot of people from the chapter in such a short time. These girls were very easy to talk to and it was comfortable being in a room with them, as fast paced as the conversations seemed, the atmosphere was still calm and personal, I felt like I could have talked for hours with these girls. We talked about local sports teams, different leadership opportunities we’d had and what the sorority could do for us and the usual what’s your major/what clubs are you in ect.. the bonus for this round is that one of the girls I talked to actually recognized me from the few events prior to recruitment starting!

Dean: When my group went in to talk to Dean’s girls, it seemed less put together. The girls all sang and then grabbed one of us to form a conversation group. This way I was able to talk to five girls at once along with three other PNMs, though I didn’t personally get to say much of anything. I felt like they really summed up why they went greek/some of their philanthropy events/and their roles in the organization without truly getting to know us. The atmosphere seemed a lot more laid back with this chapter, and maybe it was because of that that I didn’t feel as strong of a connection, aside from the fact I felt like they were talking more at us than with us - though they seemed genuine interest, I felt like I really didn’t get to let them know ‘about me’ and such. Although I liked the philanthropy from hearing about it, I don’t feel as connected to it at first like I did with the others. I really want to learn more about their philanthropy and see if it would be something I’d be interested in supporting, and to really get to talk one-on-one so I feel like Dean at least recognizes me as an individual and not just another girl going through recruitment.

Castiel : When my group went in to talk to Cas’ girls, this started out much like Sam; with his girls all singing and pairing up with us. We were lead to chairs to set where a brief explanation of the principles and philanthropy were given, then we stood up and walked to different corners of the room to talk to the girl that we had been paired up with. Over the course of this round, I talked to three girls one-on-one. The atmosphere was warm and inviting here, and the sisters were eager to talk to us. The one thing I didn’t like is that at one point two of the sisters that were trading me off began a conversation and seemed to forget I was there for several minutes. The high point was when the last girl I talked to pointed out how I had drawn on my name tag, as I was the only one in my PNM group that had done that (hopefully it would help me be remembered.)

After each round, we got to talk to our recruitment counselors and to take notes on the different chapters as the night progressed. I said I’d be going into this with an open mind, and I still am even after the first night, with two more to go. I haven’t picked one over the other because I feel like I don’t have enough information or impression in order to make the choice quite yet. Basically, according to my Gamma Chi, the next round we go to the three sororities again and then select two of those to attend on preference night. In addition, we learned there is no cap on the number of bids in formal recruitment at my university. Although we didn’t have to rank the groups tonight, if I had to rank Team Free Will, I would rank Sam first, Dean second, and Castiel third.

I’ll update again after the second round is finished.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Round Two

Round Two: Philanthropy

Rounds are done in 40 minutes with breaks in between. Dress attire is ‘snappy casual.’ I ended up wearing my mint drape top, black cardigan and my black dress pants. For makeup I just did brown eyeshadow and raspberry lipstick, nothing too showy. I wore the same jewelry as open house night.
After check in at 4 PM, I again waited in the gathering room for the rest of my group and my Gamma Chi. When the rest of the group got there, she handed us our schedules for the philanthropy round. All three had invited me back because my GPA was at or above their requirement for membership. Going into the actual rounds when they started at 5, I held my head high and walked into the room with an open mind.

Sam: Hearing Sam’s girls talk about their philanthropy really struck a chord with me because someone in my family is affected by the disease their philanthropy does research for. Being so, I was somewhat familiar with the events they participated in, but I still learned alot. Walking in, I immediately felt wanted and a connection with these girls. As I talked to six different girls one on one, I really got deep into their philanthropy efforts and the things their sisterhood did for fun. Alot of the girls seemed very surprised and humbled by the connection I had with the philanthropy and the work I've done. The atmosphere was constant and businesslike, while still allowing for a good laugh or teary eyes when the topic warranted it. I think, walking in and taking to the girls, I had the moment most sorority girls talk about - I think I found the group I can be at home with. I know I definitely want to rank them for pref. Ranking will come when the round ends.

Dean: Hearing Dean’s girls talk about their philanthropy and again the leadership opportunities the sorority could present, the atmosphere was warm and laidback. I talked to three girls. Conversation was group oriented again - was hard to get to know people that way I thought. Got to talk slightly more about me and why I wanted to go Greek, though I still don't feel as connected, but this was because it wasn't one on one. Really like the philanthropy and what they stand for, lots of emphasis on leadership and through the year opportunities - bake sales, volleyball games, helping other greeks with their events. Sorta felt left out during group when everyone was talking and I didn't have anyone talking to me until I grabbed a girl for one on one for a few minutes. Overall not sure how I feel about Dean, though I'd still really like to give them another shot, possibly for perf. Ranking will come after the round ends.

Castiel: Hearing Cas’ girls talk about their philanthropy, I knew a few people personally affected by the disease that their philanthropy advocates for. Personally i don't feel as connected to their philanthropy.The atmosphere was relaxed and easygoing, a bit more intimate than the others because they're smaller as a group. I talked to four different girls, but really didn't feel like I connected with any of them, they really went on tangents and kinda of forgot I was there. The fact that they taught us a chant before we left kinda turned me off, though I joined in by the end. Ranking was right after this round.

After this round, I filled out my pref card, and chose Sam and Dean tied at first and Castiel at second and then went home for the night. Preference is tomorrow, and I can’t wait to see who invites me back!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Third Semester Straight Heartbreak

As I was waiting to go to campus for preference, I got a call from my Gamma Chi.

None of the chapters had invited me back, and I was dropped from recruitment.

I was heartbroken - I had the grades, rec letters, volunteer and leadership creditdentals to boot. I couldn't understand why I'd been dropped - perhaps the numbers just didn't work out in my favour again?

There were only about 100 girls going through at my school, and I was probably one of the ten to fifteen that had been dropped.

As this was the third semester straight that recruitment has not worked out for me (though it's only the first semester at a new school) - I have decided perhaps persuing membership in a social/PHC sorority is not for me.

My school does however have several service-oriented multicultural sororities, so I will continue to look at my options.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry you got the call. I really hoped it would work out for you since you had gone in with an open mind and a sincere desire to get to know every chapter. Do get involved on campus in other groups and professional groups related to your major!

I hope that you take/took the time to do something nice for yourself. You have earned it.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Hugs to you. I am so sorry it did not work out. Take some time to pamper yourself.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileykae View Post

As this was the third semester straight that recruitment has not worked out for me (though it's only the first semester at a new school) - I have decided perhaps pursuing membership in a social/PHC sorority is not for me.

My school does however have several service-oriented multicultural sororities, so I will continue to look at my options.
Sorry to hear you were released though I'm glad to see you're keeping your options open. I was curious what happened with Crowley or I guess the release included them?

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 09-21-2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling edit
Old 09-21-2015, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

About Crowley and new options

I'm so so sorry this is so all over the place, guys. Thank you for your kind words, I'm dealing with it and trying to move on with a positive attitude - I joined three other clubs before recruitment started and am keeping myself busy with studying and work at my job.

Like I mentioned in my last post, my school has other groups besides the traditional PanHellenicCouncil chapters one usually sees on campus - think of it like I was dropped from PHC chapters only, I still have other options. (So there's three PHC chapters on campus, the other three are non-PHC.)

As far as Crowley goes, his events have been on tuesday and thursday nights, and due to my current work schedule I have missed most of their rush events so far, with only three events left - so to answer NinjaPoodle: in a way I was not dropped by them, rather I had no time to get to know them in the way I would have liked. I should mention that he technically was not one of the PHC chapters, hence the different event schedule. It's possible I may try to rush him next semester when I have different hours at work, pending my other options don't work out that are coming up.

That being said, I just found out Meg is having her events beginning this week, which I'm going to try and attend because I've always been sort of interested and never truly looked into her until now, partly because I never really thought I was that type of person - now I see with the PHC chapters not working, she might actually be what I need. Ruby should also have events coming up soon, although I don't know the schedule for her.

Is it okay if I still use this thread to update you all? It's still the same theme and it's still technically part of my recruitment process, albeit it's a little bit non-conventional due to it being both PHC and non-PHC chapters now. If not, let me know and I'll start a new thread.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileykae View Post
I'm so so sorry this is so all over the place, guys. Thank you for your kind words, I'm dealing with it and trying to move on with a positive attitude - I joined three other clubs before recruitment started and am keeping myself busy with studying and work at my job.

Like I mentioned in my last post, my school has other groups besides the traditional PanHellenicCouncil chapters one usually sees on campus - think of it like I was dropped from PHC chapters only, I still have other options. (So there's three PHC chapters on campus, the other three are non-PHC.)

As far as Crowley goes, his events have been on tuesday and thursday nights, and due to my current work schedule I have missed most of their rush events so far, with only three events left - so to answer NinjaPoodle: in a way I was not dropped by them, rather I had no time to get to know them in the way I would have liked. I should mention that he technically was not one of the PHC chapters, hence the different event schedule. It's possible I may try to rush him next semester when I have different hours at work, pending my other options don't work out that are coming up.

That being said, I just found out Meg is having her events beginning this week, which I'm going to try and attend because I've always been sort of interested and never truly looked into her until now, partly because I never really thought I was that type of person - now I see with the PHC chapters not working, she might actually be what I need. Ruby should also have events coming up soon, although I don't know the schedule for her.
Well, I wish you the best what and where ever you decide which route is best for you. Keep your chin up

Quote:
Is it okay if I still use this thread to update you all? It's still the same theme and it's still technically part of my recruitment process, albeit it's a little bit non-conventional due to it being both PHC and non-PHC chapters now. If not, let me know and I'll start a new thread.
That sounds like a good idea to keep this thread going.