GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,455
0 members and 2,455 guests
No Members online

Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

That doesn't sound too bad at all. I think informal rushing is the best for both rushees and brothers. Here are a couple reasons...

1) Informal rush is more laid back, and often less hectic. Brothers usually just hang out with you, rather than feeling like they have to meet every rushee in a certain period of time so that they can vote on you.

2)Similar to above, it is much easier to get to know a guy at a ballgame, a band party, at the beach, etc...You can't really tell who a guy is when he's in coat and tie and nervous. Its much easier when you're hanging out drinking beer.

3) Informal rushing allows rushees to consider more fraternities, and for fraternities to give out more bids. Some schools treat fraternities almost like sororities. They try and match the two up, rather than letting fraternities bid anyone and everyone they want. The way we rushed was to have events all over the southeast throughout the summer, and give bids whenever we found somebody we liked. I don't think you'll have a problem with this, since they can bid that entire week, but you'll have to move faster. In really relaxed rush systems, you can get a bid in July and hold until school starts if you want.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

That's very cool. Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

A word of caution, in the age limit thread you said you were planning to rush all 16 fraternities. While I understand that you want to check out every fraternity and see what each has to offer, this can be overwhelming and extremely time consuming. My school has 14 fraternities, and I don't really know of any guys who rushed more than maybe three or so, but that's not to say that there aren't guys who have done this. But all school are different. Also, rush events tend to overlap from fraternity to fraternity, since each org. is in charge of their own recruitment. I would recomend doing a little bit of preliminary work and finding out a bit about each chapter,Find out what reputations each group has and determine whether or not those are the kinds of guys you want to hang out with. Then cut a few from your list, you don't have to cut that many, but just ask yourself, how many events do you think it would be possible for you to attend?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDem
A word of caution, in the age limit thread you said you were planning to rush all 16 fraternities. While I understand that you want to check out every fraternity and see what each has to offer, this can be overwhelming and extremely time consuming. My school has 14 fraternities, and I don't really know of any guys who rushed more than maybe three or so, but that's not to say that there aren't guys who have done this. But all school are different. Also, rush events tend to overlap from fraternity to fraternity, since each org. is in charge of their own recruitment. I would recomend doing a little bit of preliminary work and finding out a bit about each chapter,Find out what reputations each group has and determine whether or not those are the kinds of guys you want to hang out with. Then cut a few from your list, you don't have to cut that many, but just ask yourself, how many events do you think it would be possible for you to attend?
You are right but what if I rush to, lets say 5, fraternities and don't get a bid? Maybe the 6th fraternity was going to offer me a bid. I want to try my chances at as many places as possible so that I can get myself a bid from somewhere.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkus
You are right but what if I rush to, lets say 5, fraternities and don't get a bid? Maybe the 6th fraternity was going to offer me a bid. I want to try my chances at as many places as possible so that I can get myself a bid from somewhere.
This makes you sound like you just want to join any fraternity that will have you?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani
This makes you sound like you just want to join any fraternity that will have you?

People say it's very hard to get a bid when you are 22 years old and a junior at college so I'll have to settle with whoever recruits me. Who knows maybe i'll end up at a good place, or maybe not. We'll see.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, she is right to a degree. You don't wanna rush everywhere, it is a time waster and makes you look pathetic. If we have kids who are really house hopping, they usually are kinda...how do I say this...like flounder from animal house. Basically, they're way too excited to be rushing. Just save yourself the time and find out what houses to avoid beforehand. Now some on here will tell you not to count anybody out, etc, but thats just up to you. Personally, I would not wanna rush one of the fraternities with the worst campus reputation, but decide for yourself. That being said, I also don't think its wrong to have a "I'll go where they bid me" mentality. Now I don't know if I could do that at your school, but at mine the fraternities were all pretty good (based on what I like in a fraternity). Thus, I would have decided that a middle tier fraternity was better than being a GDI. So just scope out the scene and decide for yourself.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I'll get a bid from one of the best places who knows.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to reiterate what shinerbock said, it's usually best to find out what some of the house's reputations are before you go. If a house has a terrible reputation, chances are that you don't want to be a part of their fraternity. Rushing a fraternity where you don't feel like you fit in is usually just wasting time. If you don't feel like you fit in, chances are they feel the same way and won't extend a bid to you. Thusly, if you find out what fraternities you want to avoid before hand, you'll save youself a lot of time.

If you still decide to rush every fraternity on campus, you will find there are some chapters you just don't mesh with, no one can fit in with every fraternity on campus. If you don't feel comfortable somewhere, don't waste your time. Cross them off your list. Do you really want to hang out with guys that are completely different from you and feel like an outsider? You shouldn't just be thinking, "Will these guys give me a bid?" You also have to ask yourself, "Do I fee comfortable around these guys? Are these the kind of guys I would like to call my brothers?" These are the same questions the fraternites will be asking themselves.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand. Maybe I should visit every house once and then take notes about them and eliminate some of them before visiting houses for the second time. I also would like to eliminate those houses who haze harshly.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

There goes all the cool houses.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd say check out DU, LXA, Phi Psi, Sig Ep, Sig Pi and Theta Chi.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
There goes all the cool houses.

I thought they didn't haze harsly in most californian fraternities
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbeta1
I'd say check out DU, LXA, Phi Psi, Sig Ep, Sig Pi and Theta Chi.
Thanks.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldnt know. However, in my experience, the houses which make a big deal out of not hazing, generally suck. But like I said, I don't know how it is in CA.