GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,045
0 members and 1,045 guests
No Members online

Old 05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Baird's Manual

Hello all! I am still trying to uncover more about the two year sororities. I have the 1968 edition of Baird's and according to some NPC sororities histories' many of these two year sororities were absorbed in 1967...so it doesn't help that I have the '68 edition.

Does anyone have a copy of Baird's that would be willing to help me out?

This is what I am looking at right now:
Alpha Kappa Psi was founded March 1,1900 and is said to have been absorbed either before WWI (around 1915) or years later, around 1967.
Eta Upsilon Gamma was founded November 21, 1901 and was absorbed by ZTA in 1967.
Sigma Iota Chi was founded in December 1903 and absorbed by Alpha Xi Delta in 1967.
Phi Mu Gamma was founded October 17, 1898 and became an Art Honorary Society merging with Lambda Phi Delta to do so. I got this information from the 1968 Baird's that I have, however, I have heard others claim that Phi Mu Gamma became extinct in January 1921...where they got this info. I have no clue.
And finally, Zeta Mu Epsilon. Founded in Feb. 27, 1921 and absorbed by DZ in 1967. This is the sorority that I don't have as much info. on...same as Alpha Kappa Psi which is difficult to research since there is a fraternity of the same name.

So if anyone has an earlier edition of Baird's would you be willing to look these sororities up for me and see what you find?

Thank you all so much! I also looked at the free editions online and didn't find anything about these sororities...the mystery continues!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Actually .. the Sigma Iota Chi absorbed by Alpha Xi Delta was a local sorority at Rider College, NJ.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Your information is only partially accurate. No one absorbed any of the above sororities. Alpha Kappa Psi fell apart around 1916 when several of the chapters left to join NPC sororities -- mainly Delta Delt Delta.

Eta Upsilon Gamma, over the years lost chapters to several NPC groups (including ZTA) and limped along through at least the late 1960s.

The same is true of Sigma Iota Chi. I have their magazine from the 1940s & it doesn't appear there were many chapters even then.

Phi Mu Gamma was all but extinct in 1921 after losing several chapters, but alumnae kept it alive until it merged into Lambda Phi Delta in 1931.

The story of Zeta Mu Epsilon is nearly identical to Eta Upsilon Gamma & Sigma Iota Chi as there is a record of a chapter or two as late as the 1960s.

There were two other similar groups: Phi Theta Kappa and Theta Tau Epsilon. At some point Phi Theta Kappa ceased to be social and converted to an honor sorority for two-year colleges. Theta Tau Epsilon faded away probably around WW II.

In their later years I doubt that there was much of a national organization and most chapters pretty much acted as local groups. Some officially left the organization but retained the name for a while, as there was probably not enough of a central organization to stop them from doing it.

It would be wonderful to find out that some alumna stashed these groups records away somewhere and they could be revealed today.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw my cousin and his wife last month. She was a Sigma Iota Chi at Rider in the early '60s. I thought of the other thread about the 2 year groups which mentioned her sorority and asked her about it. It took her by surprise, but then she smiled and said wistfully, 'Oh Sigma'.

She was drop dead gorgeous when she married my cousin and actually still is, so I asked her if Sigma were the 'Pretty Ones'?. She said 'no, we were the Smart Ones'. She said that twice, so it must be true.