GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,196
0 members and 1,196 guests
No Members online

Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
(3) Be mutually exclusive of and in competition with other general fraternities, meaning that no member fraternity shall initiate a member of another fraternity until such time as the second fraternity shall have been formally notified in writing by the national office of the first fraternity that a candidate for membership in the second fraternity is no longer regarded as a member of the fraternity.
So I'm not sure if the second I/HQ needs to be informed, but the first is definitely involved per the NIC bylaws.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
33girl,HQWest, aggiegphi, & WCSweet<3, you are all so on point here ^^^ I want to weep in support.
Weeping in support here.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I agree. By trying to go PC and get rid of words that have bad connotations, it would appear that some of the ideas have been lost. Mainly I feel this with "pledge". I also feel like most of the PC terms are pointless. Oregon changed "Greek Life" to "Fraternity and Sorority Life" because first term had bad connotations with it. Does it really change anything? No. Does using the terms, rush, pledge, or suicide change the fact that some people will haze or have PNMs SIP? No. It will still happen. Does New Member really carry over the idea that a person is pledging an organization?
I still use the old terms. They make SENSE. I think by dumbing down and PCing the lexicon, you've got a lot of people who really don't get the responsibility anymore. My biggest pet peeve is all the PC language that often takes 5 words to say what 1 did.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I still use the old terms. They make SENSE. I think by dumbing down and PCing the lexicon, you've got a lot of people who really don't get the responsibility anymore. My biggest pet peeve is all the PC language that often takes 5 words to say what 1 did.
George Carlin did a bit about how shell shock became post traumatic stress disorder and how it has diminished the intensity of what it is by adding syllables.

And I still use the old terms as my little way of fighting the stupitude. When we can't let anyone's feelings get hurt or reward people for being better at something, it makes everyone worse. Why CAN'T we distinguish the pledges as being less than the initiated members? Why can't it be seen as an accomplishment to make it through? Why can't the process be seen as something wholly different from a job interview or college entrance? I don't like the baby this or baby that thing either, but I think it's better than the concept that the pledges have the same member status as the woman who has been a member for 50 years. And on that tangent, I wish we'd go back to the pledges having to actually pass a test to gain full membership. Maybe then we could ask the question, can you join another sorority ever ever in your whole life even if you move to another school? It still wouldn't solve some of the girls who refuse to not be stupid, but it would solve some of it.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think that this is more apt to be Big Flagship U to Small State-Owned U, and that the dues go down along with the tuition. In that case, transfers are usually met with open arms - if they desire to be involved. More likely what happens is what AOIIAngel mentioned.
I am thinking of a couple of situations in particular where Big U was closer to home. (i.e. - Linda Lost needed to move back in with mom and dad to save money, so transferred back in state to save money, but still wants to be in the sorority, so you HAVE to take her, but she says you can't make her live in house? )

Or going from out of state or private school to in-state Big U. to save money.

And... transferring to try recruitment again or "because I just don't fit in here" still happens --> in state to out of state, out of state to in state, Big U to small U, small U. to Big U., left half of state to right half of state....
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM

well, going from my experience, Big Flagship U is anything but cheap, even if you do live at home. I know that varies widely from state to state though.

One of the sororities (sorry I don't remember who) had a blog post going off about "babies" but I think it kind of fell flat. I mean she complained about it more as differentiating new members rather than it being juvenile. The fact is...pledges AREN'T members. If they were, someone couldn't depledge and join another group a year later. It would violate NPC rules. Until you take that initiation oath, you are part of the chapter - just as I would say non-member advisors and sweethearts are part of the chapter - but you are not an actual member.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ I don't often hear NPC women sharing that mindset, but I completely agree.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
well, going from my experience, Big Flagship U is anything but cheap, even if you do live at home. I know that varies widely from state to state though.

One of the sororities (sorry I don't remember who) had a blog post going off about "babies" but I think it kind of fell flat. I mean she complained about it more as differentiating new members rather than it being juvenile. The fact is...pledges AREN'T members. If they were, someone couldn't depledge and join another group a year later. It would violate NPC rules. Until you take that initiation oath, you are part of the chapter - just as I would say non-member advisors and sweethearts are part of the chapter - but you are not an actual member.
AMEN!!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:

They may not be full fledged members, but I don't think they're babies either. That's my issue with it. It's dumb and condescending. Not to mention that your NM might be 21 years old and older than the people calling her a baby.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Delta Zeta had a blog post about this same thing, but it's more about demoralizing the new members. Though it might be the one you read, too.

See Blog Here
To seek the truth and defend it always;"
- Dorothy Mumford Williams, The Delta Zeta Creed
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
So I'm not sure if the second I/HQ needs to be informed, but the first is definitely involved per the NIC bylaws.
Yeah, I know I'm out of my lane, but if I recall correctly, NIC rules say that a guy who was already initiated into Fraternity ABC can only be initiated into Fraternity DEF if ABC HQ informs DEF HQ in writing that the guy is no longer a member of ABC.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Actually, this was very prevalent in the south in the not so distant past. They were actually called "feeder" schools as they "fed" additional members to Big State U. I can name "chapter andverse"on this but won't to protect the innocent. Almost anyone from the deep South can tell you it was common.
I know it happened pretty frequently in the South, probably more frequently in Mississippi and Texas. Times have changed a lot, and for the VAST majority of women transferring from one school to another in this country, it is done for reasons other than to sneak into the back door of the "it" chapter.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I don't mind the "babies" thing that much. In some contexts, I use/understand the term baby to refer to anything petite or particularly adorable. I mean, think about the slang that small groups of women create when they spend time around one another... there's always a word du jour or random abbreviation du jour (awk, obvies, presh).

Quote:
The fact is...pledges AREN'T members. If they were, someone couldn't depledge and join another group a year later. It would violate NPC rules. Until you take that initiation oath, you are part of the chapter - just as I would say non-member advisors and sweethearts are part of the chapter - but you are not an actual member.
I do like this point a lot. We refer to them as "new members" and the "new member period", but you're right -they're not really members yet. They're more like probationary members or aspiring members.

Then we bend over backward to not do anything that treats them differently than any other member, sometimes the point of absurdity. We can educate them in a little meeting, but we can't really put any responsibility on them to learn about the organization or sisters. We ask sisters to do more during the two weeks around recruitment than we ask new members to do in their entire new member period.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I know it happened pretty frequently in the South, probably more frequently in Mississippi and Texas. Times have changed a lot, and for the VAST majority of women transferring from one school to another in this country, it is done for reasons other than to sneak into the back door of the "it" chapter.
I think that, even if women aren't doing transferring FOR THAT REASON, the problem doesn't go away, though. I know several people who didn't get into UT, so went to a branch UT campus and then reapplied sophomore year. None of them went greek, but if they wanted to be greek, they have two choices: try to rush at UT as a sophomore, or rush now and try to affiliate. The latter is a much more sure thing, especially seeing that they may not be able to transfer at all.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Calling new members baby whatevers is subtle hazing? It's the PC crap that prohibits members from using terms like pledge that created the environment where women now feel the need to come up with stupid cutesy names.