GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,384
0 members and 1,384 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Pre-internet, ours were printed in our national magazine (which obviously isn't secret). What did other groups do?
Yes, so were ours. Not secret, but only members received the magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Did you have to request the forms from HQ or an alumnae chapter?
Only if you couldn't find your magazine. Or couldn't remember your log-in info once these were available on the internet (if your org's site required a member account to access forms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
No advantage or need to keep them "removed from public view". No harm in transparency - why shouldn't the PNM know what questions the form contains?
Perhaps a good point -- I guess it depends on the org -- some must consider (or did consider) limiting access to members only through verified member accounts.

I suppose there exists some potential for fraud with printable paper copies on the internet, unless someone verifies with nationals that the signature and contact info on the rec is actually a member, as well as a member in good standing. If a national org doesn't notice that the same alum or two write most of the recs for an entire pledge class just before bids are distributed (referencing the back room alums writing recs en masse mentioned earlier in the thread), then I would be surprised if they check the cred of every alum on every rec that winds up at HQ.

In the vein of transparency -- is there a list of NPC orgs that require a rec to pledge a new member? Which orgs require this and which do not?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2015, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Drexel PCs are about 50 women, with total at about 110, so I wouldn't call that small. That being said, their advisor says they don't have recs for people, except maybe a legacy form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
Drexel is a small school pledge-class wise. If they got a bid, someone got a rec for them whether they know it or not.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:55 PM

I agree that there isn't harm in the forms being public, except for that poster last year who wrote her own recs...
Old 09-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Wow, you gotta have some balls to write your own recs!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
I suppose there exists some potential for fraud with printable paper copies on the internet, unless someone verifies with nationals that the signature and contact info on the rec is actually a member, as well as a member in good standing. If a national org doesn't notice that the same alum or two write most of the recs for an entire pledge class just before bids are distributed (referencing the back room alums writing recs en masse mentioned earlier in the thread), then I would be surprised if they check the cred of every alum on every rec that winds up at HQ.
Didn't somebody (Carnation?) post about a perp offering to write recs for PNMs a while ago?
Old 09-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, a relative by marriage.

I think it started out with her telling her kids she pledged AB back in the day. Then the story went around town (not sure if this was due to her, her kids, or both) and suddenly she had rewritten history and she was an AB. Since she left her college that had Greeks to transfer to a non-Greek college after 1 semester, there was no way she had been initiated into AB, as you had to make grades back then. Also, she told me when I first moved here that she wasn't Greek.

People still think she's Greek. When they mention her being an AB, I just tell them she was never Greek. I won't cover for her any more. The last thing a girl at a competitive school needs is somebody offering to write a rec who can't --and she goes in without one.

Last edited by carnation; 09-10-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
In the vein of transparency -- is there a list of NPC orgs that require a rec to pledge a new member? Which orgs require this and which do not?
I know AOII does not require a rec to pledge a new member because I was recruitment adviser last year at St. Joe's in Philly - we submitted the bid list and not one single rec did I see or write. If something is happening above me at IHQ or regionally, I don't know about it, although as recruitment adviser I would assume someone would have let me know.

Our new recruitment adviser is from Vandy and was just asking the recruitment chair and me how many recs they got last year - the recruitment chair said she had never seen one. They are not a thing in the Northeast unless your org requires everyone to have a rec to get a bid and then it's not well known that this is a requirement except by the people in charge of recruitment or HQ. That's what I'm taking away from this thread, anyway.

Last edited by AOIILisa; 09-10-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 09-10-2015, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I agree that there isn't harm in the forms being public, except for that poster last year who wrote her own recs...
Wow, I definitely missed that trainwreck of a thread last year!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

My younger sister and a few other family members have gone through rush at schools were recs are rarely written, and sign up for recruitment ends literally HOURS before the first parties start. It isn't uncommon for my chapter at the school to have alumna on hand to go and greet a girl mid conversation just so they can get a feel and write that rec nationals requires if one isn't secured somehow beforehand.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Wow, I definitely missed that trainwreck of a thread last year!
I did too! Is there a link anywhere?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
I did too! Is there a link anywhere?
My thoughts exactly!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This poor girl is running as far as she can get away from Greek Life after the way this thread has gone!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanHootie View Post
My younger sister and a few other family members have gone through rush at schools were recs are rarely written, and sign up for recruitment ends literally HOURS before the first parties start. It isn't uncommon for my chapter at the school to have alumna on hand to go and greet a girl mid conversation just so they can get a feel and write that rec nationals requires if one isn't secured somehow beforehand.
Bingo!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriMarie View Post
This poor girl is running as far as she can get away from Greek Life after the way this thread has gone!
Actually, I hope that she has enough spunk to go through Recruitment, get a bid, and possibly thumb her nose at all of us.

The only thing is, no one will ever know if someone had written for her on the downlow.

I still wish her well!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I also hope she will start a new thread and let us know how things go.