GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,236
1 members and 2,235 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-23-2001, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

What did your chapter do for graduating seniors?

I think this might be a fun thread (hopefully, too, it will liven up our forum a bit).

What does/did your chapter do for graduating seniors? At my chapter and the chapters I have worked with, there is usually a special ceremony or event held for graduating seniors and those taking alum status (if applicable).

At Texas Tech it is called "Senior Say" (I have also heard it called "Senior Send Off") The underclasswomen do a special tribute to each graduating senior. They make special things for them--like a scrapbook--and present the items to them at the last chapter meeting of the semester.

Each senior usually gets up and says something and then others will stand up and say things about her. It is a sweet tradition that usually ends with people bawling like babies.

What does/did your chapter do?

Looking forward to hearing all about it...

AOE,
Jen
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-23-2001, 09:17 PM

Talk about respect! Our sorry senior asses got roasted on senior day. All seniors individually stepped up and essentially got reamed by the underclassmen. At first, it was annoying and humiliating. But then you realize how well people know you. To the point that they know every little quirk about you, your likes, dislkies, attitudes, everything. It makes you kind of step back and say, WOW, they really DID mean the whole brotherhood thing didn't they?
Old 11-24-2001, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Senior Sendoff...

I don't think I could handle the "roast" described above.

Thankfully our event was like TechAPhis, but it was called "Senior Send Off." We had one every semester, as there were usually some December grads.

Here's our version:

Typically the last chapter meeting of the semester, all members gathered in the chapter room where we sang songs, our chaplain read sisterhood poems and inspirational quotes. Then each graduating sister's name was announced.

Like "Senior Say," described above, the underclass members would give short "tributes" to the person leaving. Usually there was something special done by the little sisters for their big sisters. Then the graduate would speak and say goodbye.

The chapter presented each graduate with special gifts (the year I graduated we got silver letter openers with "Alpha Phi" engraved on the handle--very nice--I still have mine).

After the ceremony we'd have a little party with a cake, cookies and punch, etc.

It was a great way to send our seniors off into the "real world."
Old 11-26-2001, 04:10 AM
GreekChat Member

We had senior week, but the senior activities really started at the beginning of spring quarter. They started off with people signing up to do senior entertainment at dinner on Wednesday nights. Generally, only live-ins were at dinner on Wednesdays but live-outs started coming just to see the entertainment. A group of people would sign up on a list taken care of by the senior chairs and they would either make-up a song or a skit in honor of one/all of the seniors and then they'd perform it at dinner. The skits were hilarious and made us all feel appreciated all semester long.

Then there was senior week. We had people graduate each semester but we only had senior week once a year so you had to participate the spring before you graduated. The Monday night of senior week, before meeting we had senior praises. When we were going through inspiration week, we were praised by our big sisters and another active in front of the whole chapter the night before initiation. It was special as a new member, but I cannot describe what it was like as a senior. I was praised by two people, but only one was in writing. I still have it hanging on my wall in my apartment b/c it was so special to me. If you are interested, I'll post it later.

Later that night we had formal meeting and there was a candle pass at the end where only seniors spoke. We were able to speak for as long as we wanted and just thinking about the meeting now brings tears to my eyes.

Tuesday night was the senior wills event. We'd go to a pizza place in the village and each senior willed things to the other active members. There were certain items that got willed down from year to year. As a junior I got the "Sunshine Blower" award from my friend Madeline. As a senior I got to will it down to my friend Cheryl. There were other awards that shouldn't be posted that are still passed down in the chapter.

Wednesday night was the junior/senior party (not an official A Phi event). Let's leave it at that.

Thursday night was the Senior Sailout party. It was a date party somewhere on the beach and was a total blast.

Saturday afternoon we had a lunch sponsored by the parent's club. We got all dressed up and went to one of our favorite restaurants and got our bowls. So much fun!

Each day of the week we got little gifts from our secret buddies. One of my buddies left flowers on my bed and another put together this little basket of entertaining treats.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Laura
Old 11-26-2001, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladyj39
Wow Lauradav! That sounds like a great way to say goodbye to Seniors! At SFSU, here are the special traditions that we do:

At our last Formal meeting of the semester, we also have a candle pass, but everyone is allowed to speak and say goodbye. The seniors go last and that's when they do their wills. It's a very long and emotional meeting. then, the advisors present the seniors with presents from the chapter and we have a special ceremony. Then, we go out to eat and have fun. Last year when I graduated, all the seniors had a graduation party and it was a very good time!

I have a friend who is an Alpha Phi at San Jose State and they have a luncheon where their parents, little sisters, and boyfriends write them letters and read them aloud in front of everyone. She said it was really sweet and everyone was crying! Then, each senior was presented with a photo collage made by the house. That sounded like a really nice thing to do to honor seniors.

Have a great day!

AOE,
Jessica
Old 11-27-2001, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ivysis
At CU-Boulder we have a senior chair who spoils us all year long. There are things like senior/new member dinner, spoil a senior week, etc. At the last fun meeting in May we have a senior roast where 2 undergrads buy presents and talk about their favorite memories with each senior...it is both hillarious and so sad. Finally after a senior gets roasted they pass out old t-shirts from previous years and events to undergrads. A lot of the time no one wants to part with their t-shirts, so my class started getting 2 of each one!
Old 11-27-2001, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I am truly impressed by all the wonderful things all the chapters are doing for seniors. It gives me some ideas for our girls at Tech (I am advisor there).

Along with stories about what you do/did, is there anything you wish the chapter had done?

AOE,
Jen
Old 12-01-2001, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. This is great stuff. I am proud that our chapters treat our seniors so well. Some of these go on all semester, and I think that's great. Yay A-Phi!