GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 934
1 members and 933 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as older transfer student (age question)

Hello, 1st post here. I just transferred to a big NE state Uni this spring semester and I am a sophomore (55 credits)--but I am 26. Would it be possible to pledge and join a fraternity or would it be weird at this point because I am older? I tend to get along better with people younger than me truthfully and I am easy to relate to for people in that age group. I am mostly interested in the camaraderie of the brotherhood, not primarily hanging around 18 y/o chicks at parties (though I wouldn't turn them down tbh). Thanks for the replies.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 PM

You might want to not mention that part about 18 year old chicks. I know you're joking but it's sorta creepy.

If you can deal with someone younger than you bossing you around and if you can keep an open mind to all the fraternities, then go for it. You won't know till you try.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You might want to not mention that part about 18 year old chicks. I know you're joking but it's sorta creepy.

If you can deal with someone younger than you bossing you around and if you can keep an open mind to all the fraternities, then go for it. You won't know till you try.
Yeah, I knew someone might bring it up so I figured I would hit you all with a pre-emptive strike And to be honest, I understand the process of pledging and I am fine with the "bossing around" bit. The reason I want to join a fraternity is because I am majoring in business and I know the connections that would be available via that conduit would be very helpful throughout my future career. I also forgot to mention that my cousin was in a fraternity when he went to university several yrs back (TKE)--By the way, would that make me a legacy? I don't really know for sure, if anyone can shed light on that...I really didn't plan on pledging at all as I have partied more than my fair share and never had issues socially, but he said it was one of the best decisions he ever made so I had to consider it.

To give some background, reason for my late entry to higher education is I was kind of a rolling stone in my youth. Was a journeyman bartender from 21 onwards and traveled and lived from resort to resort across the world; Asia, Europe, S. America etc.. so I've already lived quite a rich life in terms of experiences (just nothing to show for it materially except memories, which is why I'm back in college) I figured not many people are successful enough that they get to do what I've done in terms of traveling, and even if they do, they are likely doing it when they are a lot older. I got to do it when I was at my prime, and there was nothing like the freedom and excitement of those years, but the trade off was that I had a late start to the "game", if you will...But now I am much more mature and able to see the real reason why I am here-for the degree. I likely would have been one of the typical college drunky-flunkies if I went straight out of high school, so in the end this was the best route for me personally I'd like to think.

Last edited by Montana1; 02-10-2015 at 11:51 PM.