GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,448
3 members and 2,445 guests
GammaGirl1908, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 04-22-2004, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Graduate School?

Who out there is going/ wants to apply to graduate school? What program are you interested in?

I just took the MCAT and am going to apply to medical school.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-22-2004, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: having a sit sit while lusting after Olympic swimmers
I took the GRE this past saturday

i'm looking into a College Student personnel or student life administrator program
Old 04-24-2004, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
I have applied and been provisionally accepted to the M.M. musicology program at UA. I'm so excited!
Old 04-24-2004, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
I have applied and been provisionally accepted to the M.M. musicology program at UA. I'm so excited!
Hey that's awesome!

I'm going to grad school, but I don't have a clue where. I will major in Saxophone Performance, that's all I know.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Hey come here to UA. Dr. Noffsinger is awesome and he swears like a sailor. Good luck finding a great program that will be make the most of your talents!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
How is the GRE, anyway? I have to take it, and I'm wondering what it's like. Is there any way to prepare? I didn't study for the ACTs or anything like that because you really can't, so I'm hoping this test is like that so I won't get all worked up over it.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I am looking to apply to a Master's program of Nurse Anesthesia once I have a couple of years of ICU nursing under my belt.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Good Luck 1savvydiva in your quest to be a CRNA! CRNAs are in demand across the country and the opportunities are great. Competition for admission is very, very competitive because of the limited clinical sites and you will be going against folks with 10+ years of nursing experience/ paramedic or military medic experience. Your chances will be enhanced if you get an ICU job in a major teaching hospital where CRNAs train. If you can get a reference from the anesthesiologists or clinical preceptors, you'll have a leg up!

Karen, CNNP (certified neonatal nurse practitioner... I support all types of advanced nursing practice ambitions and firmly believe we need to stop eating our young in nursing)
Old 04-24-2004, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dakareng
Good Luck 1savvydiva in your quest to be a CRNA! CRNAs are in demand across the country and the opportunities are great. Competition for admission is very, very competitive because of the limited clinical sites and you will be going against folks with 10+ years of nursing experience/ paramedic or military medic experience. Your chances will be enhanced if you get an ICU job in a major teaching hospital where CRNAs train. If you can get a reference from the anesthesiologists or clinical preceptors, you'll have a leg up!

Karen, CNNP (certified neonatal nurse practitioner... I support all types of advanced nursing practice ambitions and firmly believe we need to stop eating our young in nursing)
Thanks Karen! The hospital I currently work for is the level 1 trauma center for the area, and they also house the CRNA program (in conjunction with the medical school in the area). Although this is obviously my first choice program, I am looking into about 7 or 8 programs. It will be a while before I apply because I am aware of just what kind of task is before me, and I want to make myself as attractive a candidate as possible! Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Can I pm you if I have any questions in the future?
Old 04-24-2004, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
How is the GRE, anyway? I have to take it, and I'm wondering what it's like. Is there any way to prepare? I didn't study for the ACTs or anything like that because you really can't, so I'm hoping this test is like that so I won't get all worked up over it.
The GRE is kind of like the SAT, but harder. I worked for Kaplan for a while, and from observing the students, I reccommend that you do buy books or take a class to study. The first thing you should do it get ahold of a practice test, and see where you stand. After that, the best way to study for the GRE is to work on your vocabulary, and take practice tests. If your score is much lower than you want it to be, extra help might be in order.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
How is the GRE, anyway? I have to take it, and I'm wondering what it's like.
I didn't study at all for it and did well. I think a lot of it depends on how well you test, though. If I wanted, with a little bit of test prep, I know I could bring my score up, but it's just not a real priority, as I have exceeded all of the average scores for the schools I am interested in attending.

Best of luck, though, as you prepare to take it!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

What about taking the GMAT has anyone taken it? Do you have to study with that also..
thanks
Old 04-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndalynn
What about taking the GMAT has anyone taken it? Do you have to study with that also..
thanks
No you don't need to study.

-Rudey
Old 04-25-2004, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by XOMichelle
The first thing you should do it get ahold of a practice test, and see where you stand.
I took the one on the GRE website and did really well on the vocabulary but not so hot on the math part (which I expected). I think I'll just a buy a book instead of taking one of those expensive courses...some people at my high school took an ACT prep course, and it didn't really seem to help. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on your verbal section! At least buy a book if you want to try and imporve your math score. Also, if you don't want to buy a course, you can look into online self tutorials (which is helpful since the test is computer based), or even finding a math tutor (a few hours of a math tutor can be a lot less than a full course, and help you out withthe concepts you find most dificult).

Not studying works for some people, and doesn't work for others. It really depends on who you are (personally, I need to study!)

Good luck!!