GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,334
1 members and 1,333 guests
FSUZeta

Old 01-10-2018, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State Fall 2017 Greek Chapter Score Card

Penn State released the Fall 2017 Greek Chapter Score Card, designed to help students and families make informed decisions about membership in a Greek-letter organization.

The score card reflects critical collective chapter information from the Fall 2017 semester, including membership, academic performance, conduct and standards of excellence categories.

http://news.psu.edu/story/500189/201...posted-measure
Old 01-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Good information listed there.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand why at Penn State specifically the GLOs have extra scrutiny on them-deservedly so-but if we made spreadsheets like this for athletic teams and other high profile student organizations, I wonder what we would find.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I understand why at Penn State specifically the GLOs have extra scrutiny on them-deservedly so-but if we made spreadsheets like this for athletic teams and other high profile student organizations, I wonder what we would find.
Wish they would!
Why are the new member counts so low?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Wish they would!
Why are the new member counts so low?
Deferred recruitment.

http://onwardstate.com/2017/03/30/pe...l-regulations/
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

I have mixed feelings about report cards such as these as they tend to perpetuate tiers and create more roadblocks for struggling chapters to break through to the next level. Considering the recent RM issues at PSU, performing well on a report card such as this is not necessarily an indicator that there aren't significant problems with a chapter.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I have mixed feelings about report cards such as these as they tend to perpetuate tiers and create more roadblocks for struggling chapters to break through to the next level. Considering the recent RM issues at PSU, performing well on a report card such as this is not necessarily an indicator that there aren't significant problems with a chapter.
I agree that there could/should be much more included in this report card. But, it is a start. I would like to see the number of members that DA listed. I think that would speak volumes about the quality of the experience in the chapters.

From a parent's perspective, it shares more than we knew before. If the pledge GPA is substantially lower than the chapter GPA, it sends a signal about hazing, all nighters, etc. If there have been a bunch of alcohol violations, it would be a red flag. If I had a student that was planning on rushing, I would certainly want to see this so that I could at least discuss and encourage my child to lean toward some chapters over others.

At the end of the day, we know that in virtually all of these houses, there is underage drinking. Some will get caught. Some won't. A clean report card does not necessarily equal squeaky clean living.

While not perfect, it is a fair start.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Or it could mean that they took a bunch of pledges with very difficult class schedules...or that their pkedges are just, well, dumb. Also the NPC groups are always going to look the best on grades just because they have the largest pledge classes.

As the saying goes, lies, damned lies, and statistics. These things are pointless.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Or it could mean that they took a bunch of pledges with very difficult class schedules...or that their pkedges are just, well, dumb. Also the NPC groups are always going to look the best on grades just because they have the largest pledge classes.

As the saying goes, lies, damned lies, and statistics. These things are pointless.
Over the years I've noticed it's often the smaller campus chapters of my sorority holding high campus GPAs, and those chapters usually fold because pnms somehow think "Who wants to join the smarty-pants house? They probably never party!"

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

This.

"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

In the long run, these will do nothing positive for struggling or middle-of-the-road chapters. Throwing out statistics like these could negatively affect recruitment and retention numbers.

And I'm not sure what any of this information (aside from the mention of chapter violations/suspensions) has to do with the risk management issues that spawned these score cards.

@~/~~~~