GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,369
1 members and 2,368 guests
zolivilittlez29

Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
There's no "official" entity that you have to go through to be considered "legitimate" when it comes to Greek life. If your local is operating the way your founders envisioned, you're legit.

And (someone correct me if I'm wrong) unless you have something signed by sisters stating that all XYZ property belongs to XYZ, I'm not sure how you'd get your stuff back. Maybe from now on, keep it in a centralized location so that individual sisters won't have your information at home (maybe a safe deposit box?).
I am actually one of the founders, and it is operating the way we first planned. But according to legal standpoints, we are not a "legitimate organization" to be able to file a complaint.

Thats where I was looking for clarification. What would we need to do to be considered a legal legitimate organization?

I have to double check if the bylaws that are signed by each girl have anything in there about our stuff, but the safe deposit box--or something like that, is a good idea. Im not sure we could actually use that as we would need these things on a weekly to bi weekly basis, but maybe we could keep all hard copies there. Ill have to talk it over with the other active founder. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You need to incorporate as a non-for-profit entity in the state of New York. Do some research online; it's probably a form and like a $100 filing fee. Note that this doesn't get you federal NFP status, but it will make you a separate entity that can own things and sue if those things are stolen.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
You need to incorporate as a non-for-profit entity in the state of New York. Do some research online; it's probably a form and like a $100 filing fee. Note that this doesn't get you federal NFP status, but it will make you a separate entity that can own things and sue if those things are stolen.
Thank you so much!!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

so i can create a teen sorority in my neighborhood give it a greek name and dont have to be incorporated
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I think if there's any hesitation to allow you to join Panhellenic it is this: local sororities are not held to inter/national standards. Therefore, if there should be an incident of any kind, whether hazing or risk management related or something else, it falls on the school to do something, not the inter/national organization who usually steps in to deal with the situation directly. Sometimes an incident like this where the school is forced to take action can breed anti-Greek sentiment among the administration. This can lead to them cracking down on Panhellenic or disbanding them all together. Maybe this is another angle to approach things from -- what can you do to ensure Panhellenic that you are going to hold yourselves to standards above and beyond what is expected from NPC sororities? If you can reassure them of this, they may be more open to letting you join. How exactly you go about that, I can't tell you, but it's just a thought.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Go to school. Get an education. PLEASE.

2. Make friends in your high school. Heck, even make a club. Clean the neighborhood. Be selfless. Follow the law. Don't make up Greek letters. Dont' turn into a SORORITY or a gang.

3. If you make it to college, consider Greek life then. Anytime before, and because a bastardization of what it was once hoped to become.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baibai View Post
so i can create a teen sorority in my neighborhood give it a greek name and dont have to be incorporated