GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,586
2 members and 1,584 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

AEPI LOSES NEARLY ALL MEMBERS AMID DISCRIMINATION ALLEGATIONS

I found this article when I was updating the pending fraternity/sorority presentations and selections. Per the article, there's 1 member left at UC.

https://muse.union.edu/concordy/2018...omment-page-1/

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 06-14-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 AM

This is not unprecedented. Something suspiciously similar happened at the MIT AEPi chapter back in 1990. The chapter was "reorganized" and, as a result, all non-Jewish members (and some Jewish members) were forced into alumnus status.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:47 AM

In ‘09, the AEPi chapter at Virginia also went through a membership review. The undergrads claimed it was because they had been warned that they had too many non-Jewish members.

While I was trying to find the info to verify what I remembered, I found the following article. It also mentions aephi alum’s example of what happened at MIT.

https://forward.com/news/349501/is-a...only-for-jews/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-15-2018, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It's pretty telling that there is something very wrong when everyone but the adviser's son disaffiliates from the organization. This is unfortunate, but nothing new re: AEPi.

In 2014-2015, I heard that the membership review and reorganization process was happening with the Tufts University chapter of AEPi.

The person who relayed this to me told me that AEPi nationals told the Tufts chapter that they had too many non-Jewish members and that they should seek to recruit Jewish members in their next pledge class. After this, the entire Tufts chapter decided to cut ties with the national organization.

These two articles ran but did not specifically state why the chapter decided to disaffiliate (although people do talk about it in the comments):

https://tuftsdaily.com/opinion/2015/...pi-fraternity/

https://tuftsdaily.com/news/2015/01/...-organization/

This AEPi alum and former adivser basically spells it out:

https://tuftsdaily.com/opinion/2015/...ts-university/

In 2017, Pi Delta (the local GLO that the former Tufts AEPi brothers formed after disaffiliating with the national) was shut down due to disciplinary violations.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post
In 2017, Pi Delta (the local GLO that the former Tufts AEPi brothers formed after disaffiliating with the national) was shut down due to disciplinary violations.
No happy ending at Tuffs -- though the group action to disaffiliate was (on its face and w/o knowing all the details) rather impressive.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting! Sounds like racism is still alive in all places!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-17-2018, 12:58 AM

I know there were some old threads where Rudey discussed AEPi’s Jewishness vs that of Sammy and ZBT.

Alpha Delta Chi is a national Christian sorority (non NPC) that very explicitly states, among other things, that their members must be Christian and attend church regularly. If being in the NIC is keeping AEPi from doing something like this, why don’t they just cease being part of it? It seems like they’re doing their members and especially rushees a disservice by pussyfooting about the issue and saying “we’re for everyone, except when we’re not.”
Old 06-17-2018, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I know there were some old threads where Rudey discussed AEPi’s Jewishness vs that of Sammy and ZBT.

Alpha Delta Chi is a national Christian sorority (non NPC) that very explicitly states, among other things, that their members must be Christian and attend church regularly. If being in the NIC is keeping AEPi from doing something like this, why don’t they just cease being part of it? It seems like they’re doing their members and especially rushees a disservice by pussyfooting about the issue and saying “we’re for everyone, except when we’re not.”

Great points.

I did look through the NIC membership list and there do appear to be other NIC member GLOs which have some kind of religious membership "requirements" or very close to it. Here are two that I know of:

Beta Sigma Psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Sigma Psi
Article III – Membership
Section A: Eligibility
The following groups are eligible for membership in Beta Sigma Psi:
1. All communicant Lutheran male students enrolled in the University of Kansas who are not members of any secret society with religious intent shall be eligible for membership in this fraternity.
2. Any Lutheran male student enrolled in the University of Kansas shall be eligible for membership with a three-fourths vote of Active Members, with a quorum being present.
3. Any male student enrolled in the University of Kansas, who has expressed explicit interest in developing their relationship with God through the Lutheran faith, shall be eligible for membership with a three-fourths vote of Active Members, with a quorum being present.

Beta Upsilon Chi https://betaupsilonchi.org/about/what-we-do/

I believe that BYX requires members to profess the Christian faith in order to obtain membership.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 06-18-2018 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Fixed an error
Old 06-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Great points.

I did look through the NIC membership list and there do appear to be other NIC member GLOs which have some kind of religious membership "requirements" or very close to it. Here are two that I know of:

Beta Alpha Psi
Do you mean Beta SIGMA Psi?
http://wp.betasigmapsi.org/

BAPsi is a national, professional honors business fraternity.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

NIC and Judaism...

I'm pretty sure that Beta Sigma Psi was meant. Given that Beta Sigma Psi was a Junior member of the NIC in 1952 and Full in 1969, it means that the NIC has never been in a situation where a Jew could join all of the NIC members. (There were founding members of the NIC that didn't get rid of their ban on Hebrews/Jews until after 1952.)

I did not expect this...
Old 06-17-2018, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The Brown AEPi chapter disaffiliated for similar reasons. I'm not sure why their "take some Jews, but not TOO many" still seems to be the national org's modus operandi.

I can respect that they want their brotherhood to remain tied to the religion, but it seems like they aren't clear with their chapters about where that line is drawn.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
The Brown AEPi chapter disaffiliated for similar reasons. I'm not sure why their "take some Jews, but not TOO many" still seems to be the national org's modus operandi.

I can respect that they want their brotherhood to remain tied to the religion, but it seems like they aren't clear with their chapters about where that line is drawn.
ITYM "take some non-jews..."
Old 06-18-2018, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Do you mean Beta SIGMA Psi?
http://wp.betasigmapsi.org/

BAPsi is a national, professional honors business fraternity.

Thank you. I was looking at Beta Sigma Psi and my hands typed something else.

True and Constant