GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau

Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Ritual

So i am starting a local sorority, and i have a lot of the stuff picked out what we stand for , colors mascot motto, philanthropy , so now I need to work on the ritual aspect, if any one out there has written a ritual if you could give me some pointers on how to go about doing that would be amazing. I AM NOT ASKING FOR DETAILS ON ALREADY WRITTEN RITUALS, but i am looking for help on how to write one. Thank you.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Think about the rituals you have been through in life already - weddings, church services, honor society inductions, etc.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I have been involved in several groups with secret initiation rituals, and all include the following elements:

1) The initiates take some sort of oath to the organization
2) The organization's secrets are revealed to the initiate: Secret motto, the meanings behind the colors or symbols, etc.

As far as things like pledging rituals and other stuff, that is less-secret for a lot of orgs. I know that we allow invited guests to most of our rituals. If there's a group on campus that might let you witness something like that, it could help.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Also remember, as you are starting a new sorority, that what you write for your ritual to begin with, doesn't have to be the ritual forever. As you grow and get more members, elements will evolve naturally (also, some of the other members might like some input).

The core of the ritual should stay the same, but everything else is able to be edited, added, polished, refined, removed, etc.

Even the oldest sororities may not have sprung to life with their ritual exactly as is occurs today - and there may also be different chapters who perform the same ritual in different ways.

The meaning stays the same, but the execution can be very different.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

as a side note... getting a constitution written is probably more important than writing rituals at this point (if you haven't already done so) .

i think it would be nice if all the founders had their own unique voice and personality blended into the ritual, that way all sisters will kind of feel like they got to know the founders. it may help if you come up with a core message you want the ritual to convey and then build off that.