GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,583
0 members and 1,583 guests
No Members online

Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Something else…You may find that you know more greek women than you actually know PNMs in your recruitment group.

In my case, I went to a larger university and I knew absolutely no one in my PX group because they were all freshmen and sophomores. And get this, because of my involvement in another organization, a few sorority members knew me and I didn’t necessarily know them. A little strange in the beginning, during a middle round of parties, but hey we worked through it.

Everyone has their own personal reasons for participating in formal recruitment whether they are a first semester freshman or a seasoned second semester junior like you. The difference is that you KNOW that something may actually be missing from your collegiate experience.

IMO, it’s not only the year or two that you can experience now, but what awaits you decades later if you choose to stay involved. (Just my opinion….)

Fleur is right, no apologies. Keep your chin up. You’ll never know unless you try. Good for you for being bold!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Should this board be the first resort?

Isn't it enough that she's been lurking for about a year?
No, it may not be enough. And sure, her Rho Chi/Rho Gamma or the sorority sisters themselves should be among the first on her list if questions arise.

But sometimes PNM's have questions or concerns that they don't feel comfortable discussing with their PX's. That's where we can help.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
No, it may not be enough. And sure, her Rho Chi/Rho Gamma or the sorority sisters themselves should be among the first on her list if questions arise.

But sometimes PNM's have questions or concerns that they don't feel comfortable discussing with their PX's. That's where we can help.

That may be the case, and there are times when, by coincidence, there is one person from that campus who might be able to provide insight, a generic "I'm a junior rushing...any advice?" post doesn't solicit specific information.

And many times, there are no "good" answers for specific questions like "what are my chances?" - questions that have been asked and addressed repeatedly in the past.

I honestly think that people in these situations are over thinking and need to just relax and let things unfold. Follow guidelines, be genuine in your interactions within and outside of recruitment, and enjoy the experience.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I actually went through formal recruitment as a junior and it worked out for me! Just try to be yourself. I think that's the best advice that anyone can give you. If you try to be something you're not, you will not end up happy in the end. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulpledge View Post
So, this is my first post here, although I've read these forums for about a year now in attempts to pick up advice. I'm a junior who's going to be going through formal rush (we do our rush in the spring at my school)... and I guess I'm just looking for advice. I'd post which school I go to, but you never know who could be reading this... and since I'll probably be one of few (if any) juniors doing rush, I'd prefer not to give myself away. I will say that it's not a southern school though.

Why rush as a junior? Well, to be completely honest, I didn't have a clue what sororities were or what they stood for freshman year, so I missed the boat there. And sophomore year I was very sick during the rush period, so I couldn't. I participated in COB twice sophomore year, but wasn't offered a bid either time. So here I am junior year.

My GPA's strong, and, since the COB events, I've joined two new clubs on campus. I'm a more confident individual than I was and I really want to give this a go. Any advice?
Well... I got a bid as a Junior, but I had a high GPA, a lot of involvement (3 clubs, +2 extracurricular activies -sports), and I knew a few sorority women. My advice, get recs from sorority alumni, keep improving your grades, get to know as many sorority women as possible, don't expect to get into the so-called "top" sororities, be yourself and be ready to answer the question (if anyone asks) "why did you decide to rush now?" I don't know if anyone will ask you that, but always be prepared for it. I wouldn't bring up your past rush experiences unless someone asks you about it.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! Perhaps you might want to write "Suggestions on going through Recruitment as a Junior" post (although your suggestions already were wonderful).

You followed the rules, presented yourself well, and had the qualifications. That's ALL you could have done, and you did it.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Congratulations! Perhaps you might want to write "Suggestions on going through Recruitment as a Junior" post (although your suggestions already were wonderful).

You followed the rules, presented yourself well, and had the qualifications. That's ALL you could have done, and you did it.
Thank you so much I have to thank everyone on Greek Chat for my success. All I did was read the stickies made by KSUViolet and adpiucf. I am still a new member to my sorority so I feel as if I have a lot to learn before I can make a thread for suggestions for juniors going through recruitment.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all your help everyone .