GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,169
2 members and 2,167 guests
Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 06-11-2015, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, that's a little more than "Susan Sigma graduated and there just happen to be lots of Sigma alumnae at her party where friends and family were invited. "

Have there been any other sororities/alumnae having parties in your area, or is it just this one?

Last edited by 33girl; 06-11-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-11-2015, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Have there been any other sororities/alumnae having parties in your area, or is it just this one?
There have been things like pool parties, dinner, mini golf, just hanging out and chilling at people's houses with friends of friends who are actives, or sisters of friends who are actives. Sometimes the groups have 2-3 actives of one particular sorority, sometimes a friend whose mom is an alum will order a pizza if we're at someone's house for a pool party. I would consider all of this normal contact though, because it's always a group of people who I personally know. The grad party was by far the most formal and had the most number of actives/alums and people I didn't know.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Please remove the info about your family that you posted. Too identifiable.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I still don't have a problem even with your added explanation. ONLY graduates were at the party so it was a GRADUATION party. The type and amount of food is irrelevant. At home, we would have probably had a crawfish boil...which can be quite the event. I still believe you are over thinking this. But, it is your choice. If you want to mark these people at the bottom of your ranking, it's certainly your right.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I still don't have a problem even with your added explanation. ONLY graduates were at the party so it was a GRADUATION party.
Wait, really? I understand this might be a regional difference, but a sorority throwing a party for recent grads is suspect, to me.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The alum had the party......she issued the invitation to only female graduates...not female graduates signed up for recruitment - just female graduates...though I'm sure the OP will come back with one more clarification to make it all fall in line better...which screams troll....
Old 06-11-2015, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

It kind of seems like one of the pre-recruitment teas some chapters are known to host, at least to me. Not what I would call dirty rushing, though plenty of the PHC rules make me roll my eyes anyways....i.e. can only have cut fruit instead of fruit scooped by a melon baller because not everyone can afford a melon baller (even though they're like $5 at Walmart )

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 06-11-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size_Small View Post
I knew almost all of the other seniors because we all had decided to rush.
I would suggest you read my explanation of the party more closely then because all of the graduated seniors who were invited were all going to go through rush. I am not "making up details" to suit my narrative. That's frankly quite insulting.

It seems from the beginning that you are laser-sighted on trying to prove me a fraud or get me to shut up. Your main complaint with me asking this question is "you are a PNM, you don't know anything." I have received a lot of well-meaning advice from other GC ladies in the form of replies to the OP and in the form of PMs. For what reason would I "troll?" I am not religious so I have no pastor to talk to, for obvious reasons I can't talk about this to my friends, my mom is not a member of a GLO, and Greekrank is (for also obvious reasons) a terrible source. I tried using a wonderful resource called Google, but could not find queries similar to mine. GC seems the best resource.I have read GC for the past year, looking for advice and getting excited by Recruitment Stories. Now that it's my turn to go through recruitment, I thought it wise to utalize my resources. While again I thank the ladies who take the time to be helpful to me, I am very disappointed in how things have devolved between us Titchou. If you doubt so much my intentions, might I suggest you no longer continue commenting on this post? If I am truly a troll, I will stop when I have no more attention. I have tried PM-ing you to see where I have gone wrong and where I can make amends but that seems to be unfruitful.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

TBH, I think you need to forget about this party and any others you may go to before recruitment actually happens. And by forget about I mean, stop letting it weigh so heavily on your conscious. Wait until recruitment starts, see how you feel at houses, see where you get invited back, and go where you feel most comfortable. Period end. Unless you're blatantly trying to screw PNMs over, 'dirty rushing' and a lot of the PHC rules (see melon baller example above) don't really matter.

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 06-11-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
TBH, I think you need to forget about this party and any others you may go to before recruitment actually happens. And by forget about I mean, stop letting it weigh so heavily on your conscious. Wait until recruitment starts, see how you feel at houses, see where you get invited back, and go where you feel most comfortable. Period end. Unless you're blatantly trying to screw PNMs over, 'dirty rushing' and a lot of the PHC rules (see melon baller example above) don't really matter.
^^^^^^^
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The alum had the party......she issued the invitation to only female graduates...not female graduates signed up for recruitment - just female graduates...though I'm sure the OP will come back with one more clarification to make it all fall in line better...which screams troll....
I totally agree. I am a junior and nothing about this girl sounds like me or my sisters or friends. No one I know talks like this. This is a mom or a troll or a momtroll!!! So weird.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would suggest you read my explanation of the party more closely then because all of the graduated seniors who were invited were all going to go through rush. I am not "making up details" to suit my narrative. That's frankly quite insulting.

It seems from the beginning that you are laser-sighted on trying to prove me a fraud or get me to shut up. Your main complaint with me asking this question is "you are a PNM, you don't know anything." I have received a lot of well-meaning advice from other GC ladies in the form of replies to the OP and in the form of PMs. For what reason would I "troll?" I am not religious so I have no pastor to talk to, for obvious reasons I can't talk about this to my friends, my mom is not a member of a GLO, and Greekrank is (for also obvious reasons) a terrible source. I tried using a wonderful resource called Google, but could not find queries similar to mine. GC seems the best resource.I have read GC for the past year, looking for advice and getting excited by Recruitment Stories. Now that it's my turn to go through recruitment, I thought it wise to utalize my resources. While again I thank the ladies who take the time to be helpful to me, I am very disappointed in how things have devolved between us Titchou. If you doubt so much my intentions, might I suggest you no longer continue commenting on this post? If I am truly a troll, I will stop when I have no more attention. I have tried PM-ing you to see where I have gone wrong and where I can make amends but that seems to be unfruitful.
IMO, it's probably best for you to just step away from the keyboard, Size_Small. You have gotten what you asked for (based on what you wrote, above) and there really isn't any point in prolonging this. KSUViolet had a pretty on-target take on your "throwing shade without trying to look like that's what you're doing" (I'm paraphrasing); so why not quit while you can?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-11-2015, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Yes, you're right. I actually meant to end everything back at post #19 where I said I'd do essentially what you just advised here! However, someone asked about the recruitment party, I responded, and the whole circus started up again. Like I've said in post #19, I'll go into recruitment with an open heart, and if I ever get the chance to choose, I'll "choose" the one that I love the most, regardless of its flaws.

On principle, breaking rules (even if I benefit) matters to me (except when it comes to the aesthetics of fruit.

Trust me, I don't speak "like this" either. Speaking and writing are two very separate things. Don't I wish I had the ability to think on a response for 10 minutes and make use of a backspace IRL!

Last edited by Size_Small; 06-12-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Comment #19, not #17
Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
IMO, it's probably best for you to just step away from the keyboard, Size_Small. You have gotten what you asked for (based on what you wrote, above) and there really isn't any point in prolonging this. KSUViolet had a pretty on-target take on your "throwing shade without trying to look like that's what you're doing" (I'm paraphrasing); so why not quit while you can?
Yes, I think you're right. I just have an impulse to respond to slights against me, and I admit that I did get quite frustrated when people imply that I am a liar or fraud. I thought that I wrapped up my thoughts a deal earlier but then someone asked "your schools hosts recruitment parties?" (Also paraphrasing), I said no, and I explained it fully. Someone else asked "do others do it?" I said no, and explained myself. Then others commented on my account of the party and called me a troll, so I replied to clarify and defend myself. I have only continued posting because others asked for clarification, certainly not because I want to throw shade (at an imaginary target at that). But I am done for good! Thank you again for all the ladies who were helpful. This will be my last post on the topic - I promise! If anyone has any more questions, please PM. Have a good Summer everyone

Last edited by Size_Small; 06-12-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, I think you're right. I just have an impulse to respond to slights against me, and I admit that I did get quite frustrated when people imply that I am a liar or fraud. I thought that I wrapped up my thoughts a deal earlier but then someone asked "your schools hosts recruitment parties?" (Also paraphrasing), I said no, and I explained it fully. Someone else asked "do others do it?" I said no, and explained myself. Then others commented on my account of the party and called me a troll, so I replied to clarify and defend myself. I have only continued posting because others asked for clarification, certainly not because I want to throw shade (at an imaginary target at that). But I am done for good! Thank you again for all the ladies who were helpful. This will be my last post on the topic - I promise! If anyone has any more questions, please PM. Have a good Summer everyone
OK look:

1) first bold, above - stop. Or you'll be exhausted before you're 21 and your life will suck even more than you ever thought possible. 99% of what you think are "slights against you" are nothing of the sort. And it takes two to engage, rage, etc. So be the big person and just stop. There are better things to do with your time.

2) "imaginary target"? Hardly. You said you were talking about a sorority at your upcoming campus, and very real actives and alums. Go back and read what KSUViolet wrote.

Let's see if you stick to your resolve that the above was your last post. Benefit of the doubt: wishing you the best of luck at recruitment (imaginary or not).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity