GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,292
0 members and 2,292 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2014, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
But hasn't UT's Greek system been appreciably smaller than most comparable institutions for a very very long time? It seems more like (as someone said upthread) they offer more types of groups that can confer a similar social standing as GLOs.
Don't they have social houses that are basically off-campus dorms privately owned and operated? A UT alumna I know said they have always been popular.

Like this one:
http://www.srd.org/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2014, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Don't they have social houses that are basically off-campus dorms privately owned and operated? A UT alumna I know said they have always been popular.

Like this one:
http://www.srd.org/
I think we've also talked here before about the sports booster club thingys...I can't remember what they are called. Spirit clubs or something?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It's been a while since I've been in college, but SRD is just a private women's dorm and not really seen as a "club" so to speak. A lot of those women join sororities. Same as Hardin House.

And yes, there are the Spirits, which from what I remember was 1/2 sorority women and half not. I think you couldn't join until the spring semester, so some women that dropped out of formal recruitment tried getting into Spirits.

There are tons of other organizations like service fraternities, other spirit groups that support various sports, Orange Jackets, etc.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I think another factor is that the UT Greek system doesn't get support from the administration comparable to your average SEC school. Plus land for housing is extremely expensive.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

UT

I think in a lot of ways UT has become a lot more like UCLA or maybe Michigan than a traditional SEC school bigger in size on a very urban campus much more diverse. The administration does nothing for the Greeks.Greek Life is still big at UT but its part of a very very big pond.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Just heard from the young lady for whom I wrote a recommendation. She is a very happy new member of Pi Beta Phi! First woman who let me know the results of her recruitment!

DaffyKD