GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,405
2 members and 2,403 guests
aidanshulzeo560

Old 02-15-2014, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Need Advice ASAP! To drop or not??

I have been thinking about dropping my sorority for awhile and now as semester gets closer to the end, I need to make a decision soon for housing purposes.I am going to apologize in advance for this long message. I want to give you as much information as I can about this. I hope you the time and help me out.

I joined my sorority last fall. At first I loved it. I came from a class of less than 20 and am very quiet until I get to know people good, so it was comforting seeing familiar faces around campus. But now, my spring semester, thats all they are still. Familiar faces. I thought that when I got my big and twin, things would change. I would be invited out to do stuff or go to the house and hang out (I still live in the dorms). But both of them have pretty serious boyfriends and are always with their boyfriends or out of town.I never saw myself as a sorority girl at all, and always choose to hang out with guys in high school. I am not a girly girl at all and most my sisters are. So it makes it hard to find similarities. I am not really close to any of my other sisters, it seems like they all have their own groups that they hang out and so I get left out of everything and do not have someone to go to if I need something or have a question. It doesn't bug me as much this semester as it did last semester though because I have a new roommate, who I am really close with, and hangout with the other girls only my floor a lot. I am not the type of girl who wants to have tons of friends, I just want a few really close friends.

Being in my sorority is not what I thought it was going to be. I go to a pretty small college, there are only four sororities here. The sorority "house" is just a section of dorms to ourselves. We do not have house moms. We do not have a kitchen so we never eat together. I would have to live two more years in the "house" if I stay in, but have to move out in the summer. My parents live about 20 miles from campus, so I would ideally like to have an apartment in the city where my campus is so I can keep my independence over the summer and keep my job, instead of moving home. If I drop, I am going to get an apartment with my current roommate and 2 other girls.

Also, we have meetings at the same time that another professional organization that I really want to be involved in. This organization is one that is a special one for my major so I feel like it would be very beneficial.

Another thing that bugs me is that our sorority is very bad at communicating events to the newer members and it seems like I always find out about something a week before it happens and usually have to cancel other plans I have to avoid paying fees.

On the other hand however, as you know, sororities provide lots of other types of opportunities that I cannot get anywhere else. So I am very torn. I can't decide if the benefits outweigh the negatives for me.

Any advice would be very appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

If this was a "pro and con chart," you've listed many things that you don't like, and nothing specific that you do like. It sounds like you've already made up your mind and you're just looking for confirmation that resigning your membership is the best decision for you.

If you really want to continue to think this over, or need help making this decision, talk to your bigs, or your new member educator, or another member you feel close to. If you do resign, you will probably feel some regret, but it does sound like you've thought this through already and you have some good reasons for resigning.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Drop, as you don't seem to be interested in being a member. If you wanted to be a member of a sorority, you would make the effort to make friends with others and get involved, instead of sitting back and expecting them to come to you. You make really close friends as a continued effort to get to know people; it's not an instant assignment.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Do you wait for your parents to invite you to come home and stay in your room? Of course not. It's your house. Even if it's just a dorm section, it's YOUR house. You don't need an invite to go there. Try stooping by between classes for a while and you may be amazed at how much difference it makes in your feeling of belonging.

Also, if everyone lives in dorms they have to eat somewhere. Ask sisters when they are going to the caf to eat.

Most college towns will rent to students for only a summer, although by the end of the semester you may find you're more than ready to go home and live with the parents.

Last edited by 33girl; 02-16-2014 at 12:47 AM.