GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,560
2 members and 1,558 guests
nathnpetrovo648, Xidelt

Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to take it a step further. When I was an chapter advisor, I was informed under no uncertain terms that I was dealing with women, not girls. I explained that, when they behaved like women, I would use that term. If they acted like ladies, I would call them ladies.

At the first meeting I attended, members who had done their dishes got a lion to color, ones who had hung up their coats that week got a violet to color, etc. That's when I had to use every bit of tact I had to explain that "women" don't color "awards" that are for something they should know to do anyhow!

Calling new members "babies" encourages baby-like behavior; there are a lot of other names which encourage responsible, sorority women behavior.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Junior League new members are called "provisional members" or "provisionals" for the first year, when they go on to "active" membership. I think sororities could use that term, as the new members of a sorority have provisional membership until initiation.

I think all these cutesy names for new members are dumb.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I have heard/seen that; I didn't know if it was official. Basically, like half the NPC groups have the pearl as a jewel, and so most of them can use that, if they don't mind inter-group confusion.
Total lane swerve, but I think that in Tri Delta, the pearl specifically symbolizes the new member, while the pine tree symbolizes the collegiate member and the pansy the alumna member. More here.

/lane swerve
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
I completely agree with all of this. The switch in terminology happened when I was in college too and it was immediately a switch to "babies". It was so confusing to us at the time, because we had been pledges and didn't think it was offensive at all! I think "pledge" is such a convenient word, you can pledge something, be a pledge or join a pledge class.

Where do I sign the petition to bring back the word "pledge"?
I think I recall that Phi Mu was the first to drop the word "pledge", and I think the reasoning was that it was heavily associated with hazing. I have heard Phi Mu officers use a soundbite to the effect of "pledge is a verb, not a noun".

Obviously changing the word does not change a hazing culture, but I'm okay with using "phi" instead.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Junior League new members are called "provisional members" or "provisionals" for the first year, when they go on to "active" membership. I think sororities could use that term, as the new members of a sorority have provisional membership until initiation.
Actually, I believe that AJLI has gone to "New Members" as well. That's what my city was told to do. I believe it's for some of the same reasoning of pledges. We were told not to call them Provisionals any longer.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

AGD IHQ also addressed this via social media. We are encouraged to call them New Members, not Baby anything.

Baby Squirrels just creep me out.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Tri Delta pledges have always been called Pearls. It is part of our ritual and symbolism.

I agree the baby stuff has to go. And I sincerely hope Theta also gets on top of the finger on the mouth thing because it is just gross looking.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
And I sincerely hope Theta also gets on top of the finger on the mouth thing because it is just gross looking.
I agree completely with you. I was just appalled the first time I saw my sister (bio) doing it. Not ladylike at all. Just do the kite symbol, girls!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I agree completely with you. I was just appalled the first time I saw my sister (bio) doing it. Not ladylike at all. Just do the kite symbol, girls!
But isn't there an issue with the kite handsign and its sign language meaning?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM

I don't like the term recruitment
I don't like the term new member
I don't like hand signs
I don't like the baby trend
I still call my friends "girls" and I graduated from college a long time ago. The term "woman/women" isn't my style - it's uptight and old-fashioned and reminds me of large clothing.
I loved being a pledge.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
But isn't there an issue with the kite handsign and its sign language meaning?
No big deal to me.... I know that it is also the ASL sign for vagina. Doesn't bother me.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
IMO, Pledges is far less derogatory than Babies.

Pledge is what she does. I want her to remember she took a pledge to our organization, and that the pledge means something. In my mind, a member has been initiated, so "new member" doesn't convey the precise meaning.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Only out of curiosity, why did the NPC change the terms? (Rush to recruitment, Rushee to PNM, etc)?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I don't like the term recruitment
I don't like the term new member
I don't like hand signs
I don't like the baby trend
I still call my friends "girls" and I graduated from college a long time ago. The term "woman/women" isn't my style - it's uptight and old-fashioned and reminds me of large clothing.
I loved being a pledge.
YES to all of the above.

I don't know the process of picking new terms when deciding to replace the existing ones, but much more thought needs to go into how "catchy" they are, for lack of a better word. It really doesn't matter what the official term is, if these groups want everyone to actually adopt the terms, they need to be "catchy".
Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
Only out of curiosity, why did the NPC change the terms? (Rush to recruitment, Rushee to PNM, etc)?
They felt like rush and pledge had negative connotations.

Lakers Nation.