GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,481
1 members and 2,480 guests
navane

Old 08-26-2017, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
OK me too.

No dirty deletes here, owning my own snark. Maybe we all need ... um ... something?
I vote for some chocolate chip cookies. Those are almost never wrong.

And my favorite thing this week is talked to my BFFs daughter A, who pledged KD this week. She is happy and excited, as is her ZTA roommate. Both of them had a different house as their favorite initially, neither were selected for that organization, and they are showing the EXACT type of attitude that we advocate when you don't get your favorite for an invite or a bid. I haven't heard the other house's name out of A's mouth even ONCE since they released her, except when she shared that one of her friends was going to pref there. Since I'm not working as an adviser right now, I have instead focused on help in some girls figure out how to present themselves well during recruitment AND have a healthy attitude about it. Next up I have ladies going through recruitment at Wichita and DePaul. Neither know much about how recruitment works so I've given them as much info as I can. The DePaul girl in particular, who is a freshman, is just loving the idea of any house! The Wichita girl, who is not a freshman, has a few faves where she has friends but knows to consider all options.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2017, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

"If you were not a super moderator, I'd swear you were trolling."

While I realise that begins with an "if," just the mention of trolling within a million miles of Carnation is laughable. As someone who does know her on-line and IRL, I'll ditto what SWTXBelle said about impeccable reputation, plus her years of experience and involvement with Greek Life.

I'm glad you stated above that you meant no disrespect, but that did strike me as a disrespectful comment to make to someone who has been on this board for almost 20 years advising and supporting PNMs.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Good thing I was standing in WHole Foods when I read that post. If I had been at home the string of expletives would have been several minutes long...
Old 08-26-2017, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG. The mean girls are out tonight.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
"If you were not a super moderator, I'd swear you were trolling."

While I realise that begins with an "if," just the mention of trolling within a million miles of Carnation is laughable. As someone who does know her on-line and IRL, I'll ditto what SWTXBelle said about impeccable reputation, plus her years of experience and involvement with Greek Life.

I'm glad you stated above that you meant no disrespect, but that did strike me as a disrespectful comment to make to someone who has been on this board for almost 20 years advising and supporting PNMs.

There was some pretty disrespectful snark aimed at me in this thread, as well as a few damned near abusive private messages, for stating facts that all contributors versed in NPC recruitment have stated in these forums for years. AZTheta and I have managed to acknowledge that this was not our best moment. Perhaps others should try to move on as well?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
There is a myth that no members share membership selection information at all; that we are all close-lipped. On the contrary, I have heard what has gone on in several membership selection sessions of other sororities, usually because one or more members is outraged at what went down.
I am not certain whether I ever shared this on GC, because I often type it but then delete it because I didn't want to out the girl, but...

One of my interns, several years and many jobs ago, was a sorority member at an SEC school.

We had frank conversations about race and she said that she knew a fact that her sorority would not pledge a black girl.

She said she wouldn't personally want to put the girl in a position where she'd have a miserable time.

She talked around the elephant in the room, which was that there were racists in her chapter.

HOPEFULLY I was able to drop a nugget of wisdom about the problem with being a bystander to racism. It's not noble to be silent in the face of prejudice.

People of color need to be able to trust that the white people in their lives will call out shenanigans in membership selection.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I have read and re-read this thread, trying to figure out where and when it got off the rails. I give up.

(1) What Sen said times a zillion. No it is NOT noble to be silent in the face of prejudice. Daily reminders all around us. /side note: I witnessed massive prejudice against overweight women, across all chapters in a college, which continues to this day.

(2) I vote for coconut ice cream and mango boba with pearls. Would like to think that we can all take a step back. Tired of getting so much exercise jumping to conclusions, myself. Would rather be happy than right (at least today).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Oh yes, coconut ice cream! (Have not tried boba)

I can not state my pride enough in the girls who called out racists in membership selection. I don't care if we're supposed to keep membership selection secret, racism in selection is WRONG! I know y'all remember what happened at Bama with alums in recent years.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Boba is NOT an everyday drink, it's a once-in-a-while drink. Here's a link that explains it:

https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutritio...-boba-tea-bad/

it is full of sugar so of course I love it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-27-2017, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Wondering if I should give update here or start a new thread. Should I have a poll?
Old 08-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Update!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh yes, coconut ice cream! (Have not tried boba)

I can not state my pride enough in the girls who called out racists in membership selection. I don't care if we're supposed to keep membership selection secret, racism in selection is WRONG! I know y'all remember what happened at Bama with alums in recent years.
In my time as recruitment advisor, I am pleased to say that I never encountered overt racism in membership selection and that my chapter as long been at the forefront of accepting other races, religions, lesbian/bisexual members, and so forth. I have seen some people raise inappropriate things that have nothing to do with our membership selection criteria or values, and the chapter members did a great job of shutting that nonsense down PDQ.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

OK. So after sleeping on it and talking with her sister, she was feeling much better about her remaining choice. She went as predicted and when she got back last night she was thrilled - it was great, they were wonderful, she was so excited and also fearful they might also not invite her back I tried to reassure her and we waited for this morning.

There was a short delay but she finally did get her schedule - and she was invited back for Pref! I reminded her they wouldn't (or shouldn't) know they're the only group she's invited to so be mindful of that. She should be open and honest and soak it in - see if they really fit her and she really fits them.

It's been a bit of a long week, with ups and downs. For now we're coasting. I just want her to be happy, as happy as her sister was 4 years ago when she found her home.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

I can't wait to hear what she does!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can't wait to hear what she does!
It's going to be a long Sunday, and even longer Monday