GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,398
2 members and 1,396 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 04-01-2016, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

How are new PNM paired up??

Hi there...I was just wondering a few things...my daughter just went thru COB at Ole Miss and was just initiated last night- she is sooo happy!! They are already in full swing with planning for fall rush. I know she was asked to complete a matching questionaire so that I would assume they will pair her up with a PNM who best fits in with her. But what happens after that? does she go back and provide her opinion to someone? How do the PNM's recs work? Where do they go? I am just curious about the process that's all. I have read up on quite a bit since my girl became a member but I don't know it all just yet. She is very excited about being involved in the process and wants to do well. I know how it works for PNM's just not for those who already are members. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef831 View Post
Hi there...I was just wondering a few things...my daughter just went thru COB at Ole Miss and was just initiated last night- she is sooo happy!! They are already in full swing with planning for fall rush. I know she was asked to complete a matching questionaire so that I would assume they will pair her up with a PNM who best fits in with her. But what happens after that? does she go back and provide her opinion to someone? How do the PNM's recs work? Where do they go? I am just curious about the process that's all. I have read up on quite a bit since my girl became a member but I don't know it all just yet. She is very excited about being involved in the process and wants to do well. I know how it works for PNM's just not for those who already are members. Thanks for any input.
This is treading into private member selection information. Relax, Mom!! We know what to do.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Membership selection ( aka MS) is secret. We have no idea how your daughter's group does it nor would we tell it if we did. Suffice it to day that she will have input as will every member in her chapter. How that input is gathered and evaluated is for that group only to know. If she wants to know more, I'm sure the recruitment team in her chapter can and will bring her up to speed.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
This is treading into private member selection information. Relax, Mom!! We know what to do.
Ooops OK...sorry. I am sure they do!! I was just wondering that's all. If its a question I shouldn't be asking I do apologize.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef831 View Post
Stef,
Every group has their own method, but here's how it generally works.
After a recruitment party, the sorority members have several methods of providing their opinion on a candidate. It could be by jotted notes turned into a committee after all the parties or over, or at a general meeting, or some other way.
All opinions and thoughts are considered before decisions are made about who will be invited back. A PNM's recommendation(s) factor into this as well.
The same method is used after each round, possibly with more serious discussion or comment period after latter rounds, right before a bid list is compiled.

On the PNM side, after each round, sororities must release a certain percentage of PNMs. These percentages are custom fit for each group based on their return rates over the years. For a new group, an average rate is assigned. These rates are fine-tuned and adjusted after each round. The sororities submit their invitation lists to Panhellenic, which has a computer program to compare the lists to the PNMs' rankings for groups. The computer then creates invitation lists for each PNM and sorority.
Pretty much the same thing happens after each round until the final bid lists are produced.

Does that answer your question?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, that does help. Thanks very much!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

stef831, I understand that this is new to you and you are excited for your daughter. Membership selection is private, as you've been told. You may be curious, but you're never going to get an answer as to the specifics. Nor should you. Anchor Alumna gave you the most detailed explanation that you, as a non-member, will ever get. Please let your daughter enjoy her membership experience and don't concern yourself with the aspects of membership that are the responsibilities of the active sisters.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

AnchorAlumna, that was nice of you to give as much general information as you could. It's natural for people to have questions. I've seen responses on other threads that act like people are foolish for having them or for not knowing the correct terminology.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Stef, happy to help!
Please feel free to ask any other questions. An informed mama is best for everyone!
As AZTheta says, we can't give specifics, but we'll try to answer as best we can to give you a general idea of how and why things are done.
Congrats to your daughter! Being among the first members of a new chapter is a tremendous and unique experience!

Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all very much and points all taken! I am excited for her that she is finding it so fulfilling. The Theta chapter there does a lot of service oriented things and I just love that. They also support and help the other active chapters on campus with their philanthropies as well and I love that even more. We can all learn so much when we all work together and can accomplish more than we ever thought we could. I know that they are in full preparations for fall rush and she is so excited about that. Thanks again everyone!