GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,433
2 members and 1,431 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I, too, never noticed the badge on the Theta COA...how cool!

Here is Delta Gamma's:

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2010, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Woah, I never noticed how similar the tops our our COAs are! Weird!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's Kappa Delta's COA. It doesn't conform to heraldic rules; it's more of a design suited for our ritual. There are interesting things about it that I could point out, but then I'd have to kill you.

I'll have to scan some photos of the original COA and post them. It's pretty funny.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the lettering in the banner is Ta Kala Diokomen which means "let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest".

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 08-20-2010 at 03:33 AM. Reason: more schtuff
Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Here's Kappa Delta's COA. It doesn't conform to heraldic rules; it's more of a design suited for our ritual. There are interesting things about it that I could point out, but then I'd have to kill you.

This is going to be a verrrrry interesting thread. sotto voce: are you KDs a little bloodthirsty? I'm thinking about that dagger on your badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that the lettering in the banner is Ta Kala Diokomen which means "let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
I have always liked that open motto. I also like TriDelta's motto, and lemme see... there's another one... it'll come to me.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
This is going to be a verrrrry interesting thread. sotto voce: are you KDs a little bloodthirsty? I'm thinking about that dagger on your badge
Oh yes! Never cross a KD lady. We're the only NPC with a deadly weapon as our symbol.

Quote:
I have always liked that open motto. I also like TriDelta's motto, and lemme see... there's another one... it'll come to me.
Thanks!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
I, too, never noticed the badge on the Theta COA...how cool!

Here is Delta Gamma's:
I've been looking for Delta Nu's crest from Legally Blonde to post next to ours, but I can't seem to find it easily. They show it on Elle's paddle in the opening sequence, and it's pretty much the same although Bruiser's head is in place of the rose

Last edited by Lil' Hannah; 08-20-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: I said Coat of Arms...it's actually a crest.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay on responses!

Quote:
In the meantime, here's a question: according to our official website, the coat-of-arms is a registered trademark. Am I going to get in trouble if I post it here? I love our COA, and want to be sure not to do anything wrong. I don't know nothing about trademark laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
You aren't claiming it as your own creation, and you aren't making money off it. If you post it, you are covered under a "fair use" law.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post

. . . Oh and of course it's in blue and blue!
Here's a question Lucy. I see this coat of arms a lot (being married to a Kappa). Sometimes I see both the area above the chevron (the ^-shape) darker blue while the base (below the chevron) is light blue, and the fluer-de-lis are gold, like this:

Other times it's like the image you posted -- both darker blue and light blue fluer-de-lis. Any info on the differences.

I'll try to post about Phi Mu Alpha later today.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta Coat of Arms-- I love this image! I think the 3-d is beautiful.

Gamma Sigma Sigma Coat of Arms

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Hannah View Post
I've been looking for Delta Nu's COA from Legally Blonde to post next to ours, but I can't seem to find it easily. They show it on Elle's paddle in the opening sequence, and it's pretty much the same although Bruiser's head is in place of the rose
I found a Delta Gamma web page that discusses it that has a shot (from sort of an angle) of the Delta Nu crest next to Delta Gamma, can't see the top that well and in each branch of the "T" there are three stars rather than one.

http://gwdeltagamma.com/about-us

Randy
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's our Coat of Arms. I think it's gorgeous. It has a lot of meaning behind it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Gamma Sig sister above posted that coat of arms, which I think is really representative of our ideals.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

MysticCat, you in Big Trouble now. New obsession kindled: COA for fraternities and sororities. Of course nothing will replace the quest for opal badges, but this is definitely a new interest.

@Leslie Anne, if not a dagger, then poison? I spy a skull & crossbones on the KD COA. Man, you guys do not mess around!

I might start an excel sheet or something of the sort that lists the symbols that are shared (eg flowers/stars/hands clasped/griffons etc). Note the use of MIGHT.

Last edited by AZTheta; 08-20-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I might start an excel sheet or something of the sort that lists the symbols that are shared (eg flowers/stars/hands clasped/griffons etc). Note the use of MIGHT.
Yeah, I've been saying that "might" for months now.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I found a Delta Gamma web page that discusses it that has a shot (from sort of an angle) of the Delta Nu crest next to Delta Gamma, can't see the top that well and in each branch of the "T" there are three stars rather than one.

http://gwdeltagamma.com/about-us

Randy
Good sleuthing Randy!

Here they are side by side:
"Delta Nu" and Delta Gamma

Pretty similar!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a pewter COA lavalier (it has letters on the reverse side) that I wear every day. It's generally only other Greeks who notice it and/or know what it is.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Yeah, I've been saying that "might" for months now.
You could make a google excel document and then "share" the editing privileges...then everyone could add their own symbols to the tally.