GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,435
0 members and 1,435 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Ohmygosh, I can't even explain to all of you how much I appreciate your advice and support. This has been a really tough time for me and talking with you all has made it a billion times easier. I've been incredibly busy this week but starting tomorrow I'm going to follow this general plan:
1. Call student organizations and activities resources office and talk with them about what is needed to start a new group.
2. Email NPC and ask them about what needs to be done.
3. Figure out how to get in touch with girls who would be interested.
Umm...I can't really think of what else I can do as of right now. Alot of it just depends on how things go with the above steps. Anything I'm missing?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-01-2001, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm proud of you! I wish you all the best in your endeavor. I have a feeling you're going to do a great job!
Old 10-01-2001, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I just checked out the website for my school's student org website, and apparently the process for registering a new organization is pretty simple. I need at least 4 people, which I can definitely round up. From there, I just need to fill out some forms, write up a constitution, and attend a couple workshops with dates to be announced. All of which I can handle. Am I actually doing this? I know it will be so much work but dammit I want it bad and I think I can do it. If anything it will be a nice diversion from my disapointment about not getting into gamma phi. I'm sure other girls will be interested right?
Old 10-01-2001, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Go for it girl!

Kudos to you! You're not only finding a way to get involved in Greek life for yourself, but for the many who want to join, but can't for lack of room in GPhiB. What a wonderful legacy to leave behind...!

You can do it! I know there are a number of women on these boards who are "founding sisters" of GLOs.

Though I don't know your campus, I can almost guarantee that there are ladies out there who are (and will be) interested. Hang in there!

Good luck. We are behind you all the way!

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help!

Jen
Old 10-01-2001, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

GOOD FOR YOU!
Please make sure you keep us updated, and let us know what we can do to pitch in!
Old 10-01-2001, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up give it a go

yeaah!!!
i'm proud of you as well.
sounds like, you've got a good shot at it.
stay in touch sweetie
mmcat
Old 10-01-2001, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Wishinhopin,

I am so proud of you! I can't wait to hear what happens. The big word for getting interested women is "publicity"!
Old 10-01-2001, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

i agree with carnation! publicity is key to getting interested, quality women! flyers passed out and on bulletin boards, word of mouth to your friends, who in turn will tell their frinds and so on, se if you can put an ad in the school newspaper about it - the more people you get interestd in this idea, the better
Old 10-01-2001, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
that is an awesome idea! you are doing a wonderful thing, and i hope you know that! good luck, and if you need any help, you know where to find us!
-Maggie
Old 10-01-2001, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Way to go, wishinhopin! I'm so glad you're seriously considering taking this step! Good luck on getting some good women to join with you in your endeavor. One piece of advice: make sure that you invite only the women who you would be proud to call "sister" to help you create a new group on campus. Quality, not quantity, is what's important - especially at this early stage!

Keep us updated!

Love,
Carrie
Old 10-01-2001, 02:35 PM

wishinhopin, what school do you go to? how big is it? and are there any fraternities? it surprised me that you have a national org. but no greek life or panhellenic office or rep.. how does that one existing sorority keep in check with the school and national panhell rules? that doesn't make any sense. i think you should totally go for it!
Old 10-01-2001, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

wishinhopin:

That is so wonderful. I hope everything goes well, and definately keep us posted. GOOD LUCK!!

~Mindy~
Old 10-01-2001, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Loooooong post- be forewarned!

Alright, so here is my update. I got in touch with my school's student organization people, and they gave me some simple info. I need to go to the office, pick up some more paperwork, fill it out and have three other girls sign it, and then attend an orientation on the 17th I think. Plus I have to either make my own constitution or create a fill in the blank one. None of this is too difficult, and I already have the ball rolling in that department. Plus, I've been talking with lots of girls and I think I'm doing well in terms of enough interested parties. I also spoke with a friend of mine who has been through a similar process, and she gave me some advice regarding my email to NPC. So what follows here is my email to NPC- it's lengthy I know but I really felt it was necessary to include all of the details. If you have criticism don't tell me because I've already emailed it! If anyone has any further advice please let me know! Ok, this is what I sent, I'll definitely keep you posted as to whether I hear from anyone:

I am writing to express interest in creating a new NPC sorority chapter as well as an NPC member group at my college's campus. I am currently a sophomore at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Our campus has been traditionally anti-Greek, but times have changed since the school's opening, and Greek life has come into focus more. At the moment, there are several ethnic interest (African American and Asian American) sororities and fraternities, one small local sorority and one small local fraternity that have both expressed little interest in affiliating with a national organization, and one national fraternity (Theta Chi) and one NPC sorority (Gamma Phi Beta).

I participated in Spring 2001 and Fall 2001 rush for Gamma Phi Beta, and each time I observed a significant number of rushees who were not able to become sisters due to chapter limitations. Last spring there were approximately twenty five potential new members for twelve available spaces, and this fall there were approximately fifty potential new members for fifteen available spaces. Considering GPhiB's quota in comparison to the large number of interested participants, I have since become interested in founding a new colony here at U.C. Santa Cruz. I have spoken with several of the girls who were also cut from Gamma Phi, and they are completely in support of this idea. As of right now there are eighteen girls who have expressed extreme interest in being a part of a new sorority on campus- and this is before any kind of publicity or recruitment.

I have considered founding a local sorority and then later approaching NPC to affiliate with a national organization, but deeper thought led me to believe that this would not be the right choice for my campus at this time. Most of the women who are interested in this process are adamant about becoming members of an NPC recognized sorority- we all recognize the benefits and support that are associated with being a chapter of a strong, previously established organization. Beyond this, we have observed the lack of interest that potential new members have in the local sorority on campus. If an extension is not an option, we will definitely consider forming a local organization with the quick intent to affiliate.

I have already spoken with my school's Student Organization Advising and Resource office, and I am securing the process of creating a new student organization. I have the necessary members, the paperwork is filled out, and our constitution is in the process of being completed. We wanted to wait until we knew the standing of this possible new chapter on campus before completing a constitution which would possibly (hopefully) need to be changed in the near future. In addition to this, we have acquired the necessary paperwork for funding, and have planned several additional fund raisers should this become an option. Besides our desire to create an NPC extension, we are also interested in establishing a Panhellenic organization on campus. In previous years there was an Inter-Sorority Council, but they are not registered as an organization this year, thus they could not offer much help.

I would like to once more reiterate my absolute interest and enthusiasm for this idea. U.C. Santa Cruz is a strong campus that has formerly been somewhat excluded from the social life of the other U.C. schools, but this is rapidly changing. Stricter admission standards at U.C. Santa Barbara, U.C. Los Angeles, U.C. Davis, and U.C. San Diego mean that many students unlike the "typical" U.C.S.C. student have been filtering in. Each year the number of potential new members interested in Greek letter organizations is increasing, however, quota for Gamma Phi Beta is increasing at a significantly slower pace. I have absolute confidence in the ability of myself and my interested peers to create and maintain a thriving, impressive chapter.

I sincerely hope that this email has enabled all concerned parties to reach the same conclusion that I have- that establishing a chapter of a National Panhellenic Organization on the campus of U.C. Santa Cruz will not only be beneficial to the many interested potential new members, but also to the existing international sorority on campus (Gamma Phi Beta would benefit from a stronger Panhellenic/ Inter-Sorority organization on campus, a smoother joint rush effort each quarter, less stress regarding high numbers of women to cut in each rush, and a more positive and accepting Greek image on a formerly hostile campus), and finally, to whichever NPC affiliated organization was found to associate best with us. Please feel free to get in contact with me in whichever way is most convenient, as soon as time allows:

So I know it's long but do you all think I made my points well? I'm nervous, practically like rush all over again! Thanks for the help!
-Corina
Old 10-01-2001, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Wonderful letter, Corina!

That was a beautifully-worded letter! If it doesn't get at least one NPC group's interest, I will be VERY surprised. Please let us know as soon as you get a response! My fingers are crossed for you!

Carrie
Delta Zeta Sorority
Old 10-01-2001, 04:21 PM

Corinna,
I think your letter sounds great. The only thing that you may want to change is using the words "girls"...NPC likes "women". To them it just sounds more mature I guess. But other then that I think it is awesome that you are doing this. I wish I could even come help you!!! Good Luck with everything. and let us know if you have any questions. Oh, and please let us know what NPC says!
-Maggie
Closed Thread