GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,145
0 members and 1,145 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Meeting your Brother/Sister/Sorors somewhere you didn't expect

This will be much like the thread where did you see your letters where you didn't expect, except that it will be meeting another member/alum.

I have two stories to get us started.

I went to Tulane/Loyola University for my Spring Break Mission Trip. When we were passing out fliers for a church I saw girls wearing my sorority's shirts. They were from Georgia Southern and were there for a different Spring Break Mission Trip. I didn't get to do the grip with them, but I REALLY wish I had. I now want to meet another sister that I can do the grip with before I graduate college.

The second story is much better. One of my sisters stood up and told us this at chapter. She visited Orlando Studios in Florida for Spring Break. When she went she wore our sorority t-shirt. She "met" Betty Boop and Betty Boop asked my sister where she went to school. She told her and made other small talk. As my sister turned to leave, Betty Boop went to shake my sisters hand. My sister was very confused, until she realized that Betty Boop was doing our grip!!! Betty Boop wasn't allowed to break character to say she was a member of our sorority, and that way she didn't. It was such a neat story to hear!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJ<3 View Post
This will be much like the thread where did you see your letters where you didn't expect, except that it will be meeting another member/alum.

I have two stories to get us started.

I went to Tulane/Loyola University for my Spring Break Mission Trip. When we were passing out fliers for a church I saw girls wearing my sorority's shirts. They were from Georgia Southern and were there for a different Spring Break Mission Trip. I didn't get to do the grip with them, but I REALLY wish I had. I now want to meet another sister that I can do the grip with before I graduate college.

The second story is much better. One of my sisters stood up and told us this at chapter. She visited Orlando Studios in Florida for Spring Break. When she went she wore our sorority t-shirt. She "met" Betty Boop and Betty Boop asked my sister where she went to school. She told her and made other small talk. As my sister turned to leave, Betty Boop went to shake my sisters hand. My sister was very confused, until she realized that Betty Boop was doing our grip!!! Betty Boop wasn't allowed to break character to say she was a member of our sorority, and that way she didn't. It was such a neat story to hear!!!
Like!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
My last trip to the emergency room, I made a joke about the surgery scars on my abdomen forming an anchor, but that it was okay because it was my sorority's symbol.

One of the doctors was also a DG.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I always get a clue that people might be Greek themselves when they say Alpha FEE instead of FIE. It always makes me ask if they were Greek because unless you are, that's something you probably won't know.
Not necessarily. I've run into quite a few non-Greek people who pronounce it FEE, which is the standard British pronunciation and seems also to be used by some in the science and math context. I can still hear one person, who I know wasn't Greek, from 30 years ago seeing me wearing letters and saying "Ah, you're in Fee Mu Alpha."

On the other hand, Alpha FEE rather than Alpha FIE is something I learned here at GreekChat, long after my college days. We didn't have Alpha Phi at my school, so I didn't know to use FEE. Ditto Alpha Xi Delta.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I might have mentioned this on GC before. A few years back, I was looking for some help from a professional organizer. So I went to the National Association of Professional Organizers web site and did a search for the type of help I needed and the area I live in. I got a bunch of listings and proceeded to visit different web sites. Finally, I found one that I felt comfortable with so I gave her a call and made an appointment for her to come to my home the following week. When she arrived I showed her into my very unorganized office. She noticed all the KD stuff and blurted out, "Are you a Kappa Delta?! So am I!" That was the first time something like that happened to me. I thought it was neat how of all the organizers I could have picked I ended up with a sister.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Yesterday at Drum Corps International in Atlanta, my friends and I were sitting one row behind our seats. Two of us were wearing SAI shirts. I was not, because I was supporting my section that has three members in corps. Well, a girl behinds us asks if the two wearing shirts are sisters. Our immediate reaction is to say no, as they had been asked this prior to joining SAI anyway. They look a little alike. Then we catch on and tell her all three of us our members. She is from Jacksonville, if I remember correctly.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I went into the Apple store today because my phone case broke. I was looking at cases when one of the sales associates came over and we started talking about certain cases (and I was starting to wonder if she was Greek...) when she noticed the letters on my shirt, and immediately said "You're a KD? Me too!" I was really surprised and excited (as was she) because there are so few chapters in New England, so it's very rare to see our letters. We ended up chatting for a good 10-15 minutes!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
My junior/senior year in college, I was in physical therapy on a recommendation of my physiatrist. I was sitting in the waiting room wearing a set of Phi Sigma Pi letters. One of the therapists (not mine) greeted me, gave me the fraternal grip and said, "I thought I saw a brother out here." She was from Tau chapter.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I was teaching a class at a police academy and met an AGD from my chapter! Unfortunately, we also met 3 weeks later when some idiot driver rammed my car. (Her car was damaged worse than mine.) Heather was the officer on the scene.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I met another Chi O in Qdoba the other day. I had a XO shirt on, and her baby was all decked out in owl gear. She was super nice and said she was glad to see other XO's out and about!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Met another AOII at the mall about 2 years ago..I was in letters but she wasnt. She came right up to me and told me she was a sister from PA..she was so excited to meet me!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I was a big creep and said hi to a sister who was wearing letters at the gym while she was on the treadmill. Looking back I was probably a little too excited, but she was very nice about it, lol
Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
On the other hand, Alpha FEE rather than Alpha FIE is something I learned here at GreekChat, long after my college days. We didn't have Alpha Phi at my school, so I didn't know to use FEE. Ditto Alpha Xi Delta.
We pronounce it "FIE" ... the correct way.

Anyway.

Several years ago, when my husband and I first moved to this area, we were looking for a synagogue to join. We were coming up on the High Holy Days with nowhere to go. The United Jewish Center in Danbury, CT (which serves both the Reform and Conservative movements) had an offering: You had to meet with the rabbi, attend one Friday evening service, and attend a prospective-member tea, and you would get free HHD tickets.

At the tea, I found myself talking to someone whose name sounded really familiar, but I couldn't place it. In the course of conversation, I asked her what she did, and she told me that she was a national officer of her sorority. I asked her which one. She said "Alpha Epsilon Phi". I nearly dropped my tea. Everything clicked into place - she had been at my initiation and at my chapter installation! (Bonnie Wunsch)

We ended up joining a different synagogue, though.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I was working the Junior League Thrift Sale talking to another JL member, "X". I don't remember now how it came up in conversation, but we realized that we both had a friend in common, "Y". When I said that I knew Y from the alumnae chapter of my sorority, Y was startled, and revealed that she is also a Delta. We'd known each other for almost a year and had no idea! She then told me that another JL member, "Z", is a Delta as well - at the time, Z and I served on communications council together and saw each other pretty regularly, and again, I had no clue she was a Delta! At our next meeting, I mentioned it to her & subsequent shouting ensued. The other members at the meeting just stared at us like we were crazy, and one girl commented "Okay, you must have just discovered you're sorority sisters or something."

Last edited by DSTRen13; 08-14-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

No great stories like you guys, but recently I went for a run in the morning and took a different route (I'm a night runner, and usually go to the track). Two blocks in a soror spots me from wearing an SGRho tshirt - we did a community service project together a couple months ago, turns out she lives around the corner from me!