GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,742
0 members and 1,742 guests
No Members online

Old 07-09-2015, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking What are ya reading?

Until recently, I worked at a library (still volunteer there), but my daughter needed me more. Holla fellow book worms! What are you reading? I generally go through phases in I what I read. It could be true crime a la Ann Rule for a few months to Historical a la Diana Gabalon to YA or classic lit or military bios.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I liked Judy Blume's newest, In the Unlikely Event. Just don't read it on an airplane, like I did.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it about a crash? I've had nightmares about that. Lol. I'm reading the second book in the Vampire Academy series. Not normally a YA reader, but was browsing my library's ebooks. Liked the sisterhood component. The big thing is the bond between Lissa and Rose.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I was rereading Pinker's The Language Instinct in my downtime at work until one of the interns asked if she could borrow it. Currently bookless.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Is it about a crash? I've had nightmares about that. Lol. I'm reading the second book in the Vampire Academy series. Not normally a YA reader, but was browsing my library's ebooks. Liked the sisterhood component. The big thing is the bond between Lissa and Rose.
Yep, although it happened so long ago (the string of accidents in Elizabeth, NJ, in 1951-1952) and under such different circumstances that it bears no resemblance to modern-day aviation. But still, way stupid to start it ON AN AIRPLANE.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm reading one of the "Cat Who" books - The Cat Who Robbed A Bank. I wanted something light until Code of Conduct (Brad Thor!) cam out.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I just read Kevin Kwan's "Crazy Rich Asians" and the sequel "China Rich Girlfriend" - both were really good! Now I am re-reading "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs and up next is "Finders Keepers" by Stephen King. I commute by train for 2 hours every day and am a fast reader, so I blow through books pretty quickly.

For anyone who would like a humorous book to read: "Unabrow" by Una LaMarche. I love her wit and writing style.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Brad Thor's always good for action. Lisa, I may have to check out a book called Unabrow" just for the title alone. lol
Old 07-10-2015, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently reading Jesus Land. It's a memoir written by a woman who grew up in the midwest with parents who cared more about their church than their kids. She (understandably) grows into a rebellious teenager, and ends up at some creepy church-run reform school in the Dominican Republic. I'm about halfway through, so just to the part where she arrives at the reform school.

I'm enjoying it because I love memoirs (especially from people of my generation), and I'm also interested in things like fringe religions and religious abuse. In the same trip to the used bookstore where I got this, I also picked up a memoir by someone raised in (and later gets out of) Scientology. I'll read that next. I've probably read 2 or 3 books by women who have escaped from the FLDS (the polygamist sects led by folks like Warren Jeffs), plus Under The Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIILisa View Post
I just read Kevin Kwan's "Crazy Rich Asians" and the sequel "China Rich Girlfriend" - both were really good! Now I am re-reading "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs and up next is "Finders Keepers" by Stephen King. I commute by train for 2 hours every day and am a fast reader, so I blow through books pretty quickly.

For anyone who would like a humorous book to read: "Unabrow" by Una LaMarche. I love her wit and writing style.
I love Kevin Kwan. His stuff is one of my fave guilty pleasures.

The new Erik Larson, "Dead Wake," is amazing. (It's about the sinking of the Lusitania.) I freely admit to being a Larson fangirl.

I also read Leanda de Lisle's new book about the Tudors (nonfic). Great read.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Brad Thor's always good for action. Lisa, I may have to check out a book called Unabrow" just for the title alone. lol
Brad Thor is my hero! I've gone to a few of his book signings, and he's a such a nice gentleman!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I'm currently reading Jesus Land. It's a memoir written by a woman who grew up in the midwest with parents who cared more about their church than their kids. She (understandably) grows into a rebellious teenager, and ends up at some creepy church-run reform school in the Dominican Republic. I'm about halfway through, so just to the part where she arrives at the reform school.

I'm enjoying it because I love memoirs (especially from people of my generation), and I'm also interested in things like fringe religions and religious abuse. In the same trip to the used bookstore where I got this, I also picked up a memoir by someone raised in (and later gets out of) Scientology. I'll read that next. I've probably read 2 or 3 books by women who have escaped from the FLDS (the polygamist sects led by folks like Warren Jeffs), plus Under The Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer.
I read Jesus Land - it was really good, I won't give you any spoilers, and I too am fascinated by the religious fringe and Quiverfull believers. I just read a book called "Unorthodox" written by an Orthodox Jewish woman who left her religion and ended up being ostracized by her family, it was really interesting.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I love history, especially women's history. I just finished The Nazi Officer's Wife and In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer. Both were excellent!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Hannah Hart's book " My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking, and Going with Your Gut"
It's an uplifting life advice meets recipes and funny puns kind of book.

Θ Φ Α

Old 07-10-2015, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Even though it's been out a while, I'm just now reading Divergent. I saw the movie and liked it so I thought why not? It does seem a little bit like a Hunger Games knock off, but eh, whatever.