GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,474
1 members and 2,473 guests
bjaessjnray2773

Old 04-20-2005, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamAlie
Quote:
Originally posted by IheartAphi
PRUSH has a lot of room for error (we use a scan tron). My rush card for instance got dropped from the entire system (it said I did not want to go back to any of the chapters) and they could not change when they realized it did not work out (invites back were already given out).

I am sure errors occur with both systems, but mine really sucked and broke my heart about the error so much I went shopping on bid day and found out later I had a snap bid. I got back in time to relucantly take it and made the best decision of my life.
The exact same thing happened to me....luckily I got snapped into my 1st choice!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-20-2005, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school we used PRUSH. We ranked the houses at the end of the each day, and the beginning of the next day were given a list of our schedule for that day. You ranked the houses you liked best as 1 (8 houses the first day, 4 the second, etc.) and the others as 2, 3, 4, etc. If one of your top houses didn't invite you back, you could have gone to your 2, 3, or 4th depending.

While SORUSH has its benefits, I could see problems with large schools with a lot of houses in working out schedules, etc.

Also, it was hard enough on girls who didn't have full schedules on days. I would see it being even harder to have to look at Julie who got invited back to all 13 when you only were invited back to 7 or 8.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh goodness... perhaps I'm just heartless, but is it really that big of a deal if the girl next to you has 10 invites and you only have 4? Maybe I just have this opinion because my school had SORUSH and it seemed to work fine for us. There was a Miss Teen USA candidate in one of our recruitment groups... a week after Miss Teen USA was televised. Everyone knew who she was, the houses loved her. And you know what? At the end of the week, she ended up in one house just like the rest of us. Does it matter how you get to that one house? I would hope PNMs are strong enough to realize that the girl next to them isn't better just because she has more invites...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad but true...

It would be great if people didn't care about the number of invites, etc. However, I did know a lot of girls who were cut heavily in rush and it hurts. Both SORUSH and PRUSH have this problem.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
Here is a true SORUSH story from my friend who rushed at a large, competitive campus:

"Jenny" is a very straightforward, urban, feminist intellectual type who also happens to be very beautiful. She feels very much at home at a couple of the chapters on her campus, FFF and GGG, where this attitude is cultivated. Because these chapters do not party very hard and have some less beautiful members, they are not especially selective. AAA, however, is the golden chapter on campus, incredible rushers, 100% return rates, notoriously difficult to get into. Jenny thinks the AAA's seem kind of shallow.
When Jenny gets her invites back, she is the only one in her rush group who is invited back to AAA. The other rushees ooh and aah, express jealousy, shower her with congratulations, etc. Jenny is so flattered that she goes to AAA's party.
This same scene is repeated every morning all week. AAA keeps inviting Jenny back, and the other rushees are in awe and tell her she's insane to think of regretting their parties. Jenny (foolishly, but understandably) is so seduced by this compliment from the campus queens and admiration from her friends that she ends up choosing AAA over FFF and GGG.
Jenny ends up disliking her pledge sisters, who seem ditzy and catty to her. She starts cutting meetings and eventually quits. She was a rotten AAA, even though she would have been a great FFF or GGG.
I honestly think Jenny would never have been an AAA but for SORUSH. If she had ranked the chapters after the first parties, AAA would have been low on her list. She was only interested in AAA because she was seduced by that coveted invitation! Not many 17-year-old girls have the strength of character to resist the temptation of that kind of flattery. PRUSH commits them to the more honest choices they make when they are not under the influence of feeling "chosen" by the campus queens.

Ivy

How did I miss this when we first discussed it? It's so true! It happens soooo often.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
as a Rho Chi this year, it was really heartbreaking to see the reactions of some of the girls when they got their invites. SOme girls got invited to houses that were more "Selective" and went happily. Others were dismayed that they only had 2 or 3 invitations, where at least one girl in our group had an invite to all 6 houses after open house and 4 invites to final parties (that's the most you can get). But in the end, I think that girl may have ended up signing independent....and I know most of the girls who got 1 or 2 bids ended up getting their number 1 and are now actives. At the same time, I was really insulted when girls said to me, "pssh, Tau Delta, Why did they invite me back? they're the smallest on campus". And they immediately cut us (at the time it was me and that felt really bad, but you can't just say "HEY! That's not nice"). But we thrive on that attitude...the girls that we end up with CHOSE to be there, THEY chose, not us. It may mean not making quota, but we're OK with that.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I came in through informal, but I wouldn't want to go through SORUSH especially because of the group(s) that pick solely on looks. I mean, even though I would never ever have considered joining them, it still hurts to hear that you're not one of the best looking people...and still, it could hury in terms of other attributes when it's an obvious one-sided ranking. Not all chapters pick a whole package.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:00 AM

I think you should get to see SORUSH after rush, LOL. That way if any of the sisters in the sororities you didn't pick are ever mean to you you can say "well you liked me enough last semester to give me a bid, beeyotch! "

I totally agree with Ivy's example about why PRUSH is better. There was a rushee story on here a couple years ago in which the rushee kept getting asked back to the top group on campus but she cut them before final rounds because she just didn't feel comfy with them - even though her friends told her she was crazy to do so. Not everyone has that kind of self-assurance - especially if you're rushing before you've even really started college and don't know a soul.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Not everyone has that kind of self-assurance - especially if you're rushing before you've even really started college and don't know a soul.
Maybe I'd feel differently about all this if I had gone to a different school. Mizzou does bring in out of state students because of our journalism school, but for the most part, it seems like one of those places where if you don't know the PNM, you know someone who does. Seems kind of strange at such a large school, but I can honestly say there was not one house where I didn't know SOMEBODY when I went through recruitment... and there were a lot of other people in the same situation as me. Maybe that just made us comfortable with what was going on? Who knows.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thetagammachica
we never ranked until the last day. Our recruitment wasn't that long so one day we would see all sororities (we only have 5) and then we get invited back, we chose 3 from there for house parties, then there is an ivitation again. You then pick 2 and go to pref. After pref you rank all sororites and it is bid matching. I think this system worked very well actually
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

PRUSH

This past recruitment our campus switched from SoRush to Prush, but it also used another method to try to prevent "stringing" along.

During the fall semester the MRC's were asked to vote to install this into recruitment. Panhel told us that a member of XYZ at MIT had come up with a mathematical system that used a chapters #'s of their past invites and return rates and would determine how many PNM's a chapter should cut. The numbers would be of the last three recruitment years. We were told that this would increase return rates, the chances of chapters attaining Quota and decrease the number of PNM's who might drop because they received a blow after second round because of stringing along.

This made PRush so much better because it made chapters that dont cut during the first round except for grades, have to cut a certain #. Each night before cuts we received a call from panhel suggesting how many PNM's to cut. And when PNM's received their invites they had a more realistic invite list that might continue on through the recruitment process....

I thought National Panhel was going to adopt the new Prush process for this upcoming recruitment year...what have you heard?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Re: PRUSH

This is the NPC Recommended Release Figures calculation, many campuses use it. It's been around for several years.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nieng17
This past recruitment our campus switched from SoRush to Prush, but it also used another method to try to prevent "stringing" along.

During the fall semester the MRC's were asked to vote to install this into recruitment. Panhel told us that a member of XYZ at MIT had come up with a mathematical system that used a chapters #'s of their past invites and return rates and would determine how many PNM's a chapter should cut. The numbers would be of the last three recruitment years. We were told that this would increase return rates, the chances of chapters attaining Quota and decrease the number of PNM's who might drop because they received a blow after second round because of stringing along.

This made PRush so much better because it made chapters that dont cut during the first round except for grades, have to cut a certain #. Each night before cuts we received a call from panhel suggesting how many PNM's to cut. And when PNM's received their invites they had a more realistic invite list that might continue on through the recruitment process....

I thought National Panhel was going to adopt the new Prush process for this upcoming recruitment year...what have you heard?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:11 AM

I like the idea of seeing the invites before you choose. You know where you stand BEFORE you just start dropping houses left and right. I've seen the other system in action. It led to alot of cross-cutting and broken hearts on the PNM side.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-23-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't really see it as "cutting" in Prush, because lets say in a system with 12 chapters the PNM ranks the first 9 as number one, the 10th as second and the 11th as 3rd and the 12 as forth. She isn't really cutting those last three unless she gets invited to all of her top nine choices...if one of those nine isn't on that list number 10 moves up and so forth. And If one of those number 1's weren't on her list by the Prush system they wouldn't be on her list on the Sorush system.

From my view of it, what Prush does that SoRush didn't is help the houses that PNM tend to drop during Sorush after one round get a second chance at impressing the PNM.

BTW, what does cross cutting mean? I'm not familiar with the term.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
I am loving the new way of mutual selection where larger chapters have to "cut" a larger percentage, because, the truth is they know who they are going to "cut" anyway (for grades or standards or whatever) why should a pm be strung along in a sorority that they are never going to get.

The university that I work with is going to implement that next year. This year we are doing the same percentages as in the past. Larger sororities don't seem to like it until they see that they still end up with quota and all of the girls that they wanted anyway and this help the pm's give the other sororities a chance.

HAVE FUN IN RECRUITMENT THIS YEAR FOR EVERYONE ON THIS SIDE.