GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,361
0 members and 1,361 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2003, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I really think "Jewlez" is the big snitch

Maggie has been half way non annoying since she started hanging out with Brooke and Nicole vs. "Jewlez" and Mackenzie
Old 05-15-2003, 07:58 AM

Did anyone else histerically laugh when Janel was saying her bit about if they don't shut up they WILL get disafilliated or something? He head wobbling from side to side cracked me up!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaHawkeye
I DEFINITELEY disagree with that. When i was a bright eyed freshman first pledging a sorority I had ABSOLUTELEY NO CLUE what hazing laws were. There are fuzzy lines and nothing is cut and dry these days.
no no no no no. I'm not talking about what hazing LAWS are, because most of them are ridiculous. I'm talking about you yourself feeling unsafe, humiliated, or uncomfortable. If you have to look up a NY State law on the internet to tell you you're feeling unsafe, you're probably not.

It's like if a guy makes a sex joke at work and you laugh, think nothing more of it, then 6 months later, see somewhere that talking about sex at work can constitute sexual harassment and yell "OMG! I was harassed! I'm suing this company for a trillion dollars!" People that pull that isht should be taken out and shot.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Angry

I don't know about you ladies, but even though I feel like I've stepped into pledging hell every time I watch this show, still...every week I keep coming back

I agree with tnxbutterfly. After 6 weeks you should not have pledges "tattling" on one another--a good pledge class would know that it just makes ALL of them look bad. And really, what does it do but cause resentment all around?

We said earlier that this would happen--even in the 2nd or 3rd week, there was no unity or sense of sisterhood with this pledge class....3 weeks later I still say, there's no unity. And it doesn't matter whether or not the pledge process is extended. This pledge class is shot to me. It seemed like such a waste of 6 weeks.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 05-15-2003, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AZpinkkittie
Ok, I do think it was Maggie that told, and I agree that she probably did it because she was still mad at Brooke for depledging.

I understood what Brooke was trying to say when she justified her "we're being hazed" comments. She was making fun of the law because saying that being tired is hazing is just ridiculous. Everyone gets tired!! Maybe I just understand her sense of humor. She had a different idea of what hazing was before she read that law, and when she found out what could be considered hazing, I think she found it a little over the top and funny. Or maybe I am just trying to stand up for her because I kinda like her.

And I can see where the sisters are coming from. Yeah they stated it totally wrong, but maybe they didn't pass English. I'm sure they have seen and heard plenty of stories about hazing and chapters getting kicked off campus, and they don't see what they are doing as being anywhere near as bad as the stuff they've heard of, so being associated with those horrible acts can be a bit scary. They would naturally want to defend themsleves.

And I think what they meant by their comments to Brooke is that, you can't go saying on National television that extending pledging is Hazing and being tired is hazing, then say the pledge period is being extended and that you are tired. Brooke even said that she was kidding and didn't think she was being hazed. People might not see that you are being sarcastic, especially when hazing is taken so seriously. They were looking out for themselves but their words were not well said.

If only the girls new why they were extending pledging, they wouldn't be all paranoid about it going on to long. It was supposed to be a surprise!! And Brooke, if the girls found out you were talking about hazing, I'm pretty sure someone also told them you knew when initiation was, despite all of your "No one can tell them, then they'll change the day."

Ok I've totally rambled on now. If anyone needs to correct me, please feel free to do so. I'm not in a sorority, so I really don't have any experience with this stuff, so I'm only speaking as a viewer. From inside the system, I could be totally wrong.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

My .02

Quote:
Originally posted by AZpinkkittie

I understood what Brooke was trying to say when she justified her "we're being hazed" comments. She was making fun of the law because saying that being tired is hazing is just ridiculous. Everyone gets tired!! Maybe I just understand her sense of humor. She had a different idea of what hazing was before she read that law, and when she found out what could be considered hazing, I think she found it a little over the top and funny.
Definately agree here.. it wasn't hard to see she was being sarcastic when Brooke & Nicole were all laughing about the "I'm being hazed!" comments. I think it was Maggie who was trying to kiss up to the sisters who told ... and in defense of Brooke, she really wanted to just get her DZO pledging over with. She "wanted her life back".. and from what I've seen on TV I don't blame her.. I wouldn't want to do any of their random stuff either.

Quote:

And I can see where the sisters are coming from. Yeah they stated it totally wrong, but maybe they didn't pass English. I'm sure they have seen and heard plenty of stories about hazing and chapters getting kicked off campus, and they don't see what they are doing as being anywhere near as bad as the stuff they've heard of, so being associated with those horrible acts can be a bit scary. They would naturally want to defend themsleves.
I still don't see where the sisters are coming from here. I think they get WAY too defensive WAY too fast. (Maybe that should hint to them that they aren't doing something right?) From the episodes that I've seen they are so quick to point out how the pledges are 'disrespecting' them and how they don't seem fit to be sisters. I see the whole 'hazing' talk just another way they can pull their little power-trip that they seem to like..."I don't want her as my sister"... I don't think she'd make a good sister"... "If you want to be in MY sorority, you're gonna have to impress me"... And then threatening the girls saying something like "Just so you know.. everything you say DOES get back to us"... whatever.

Last edited by texas*princess; 05-15-2003 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

So I said I wouldn't watch anymore but I lied. Of course.

First, I totally agree with everything Brown Eyed Girl said. Well put.

Secondly, it cracks me up that the sisters or pledges don't think anything they have had to do for the past 5 weeks isn't hazing. Give me a break.

and finally, the sisters justify the questionable activities by saying that they do them with the pledges, but then they have their whole separist attitude with the whole "we are not your friends" thing. What is that?
Old 05-15-2003, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I have looked all over NYS to see where pledging more than 6 weeks is considered hazing. There is no where where that is written. That may be a university policy on pledging and time but New York has very broad laws in order to protect themseleves and victims to put a time limit on it just makes NO SENSE TO ME!

Sphinxpoet
Old 05-15-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

A Theory

Is it possible that MTV is putting Maggie up to tattling this whole time? Remember, she was the "POV" person on the Sorority Life 2 section of mtv.com, thus MTV was using her already for adding content (at least for a while.)

Somehow I don't think the journalistic ethics of impartiality are going to apply to the MTV folks--would it really be beneath them to unofficially script content in this way?

Thoughts?

Adrienne (PNAM-2003)

PS--Regarding the Blonde Bitchy Bosses lecturing the pledges on the "hazing" comments: I'm going to echo the sentiments I read in another thread about how long "traditions" are in a chapter. Lady, *you* have not been working "15 years" on your sorority. You have been working at most 4 years. If you remain active as an alum after graduation, you can count off 15 years of service on the 15th anniversary of your initiation, and not before. So preaching at Brooke for how long YOU worked ain't gonna fly. Switch to decaf and try Xanax. If you're that worried about how you appear on TV, you should have thought of that BEFORE you signed your contract w/ eMpTV.

</rant>
Old 05-15-2003, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

News Update

Remember how in the beginning of SL2 the DZO people were saying how they enjoyed being a local?

Times change......

http://www.deltaxiomega.com/news.htm
Old 05-15-2003, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
My vote for the tattle tale is either Maggie or I'm wonder about Brittany. There is something about that chick that I absolutely do not like and haven't since I've first seen her. Wasn't she the one that "tattled" on the sister who said she wanted to slap Talia (or another sister). Brittany was freaking out when Brooke was in the mall going on about the sisters etc - wonder if she isn't paying Brooke back for that.

As for hazing, has the university shut down this chapter yet the same way they shut down the guys. I know that anything I've looked up regarding hazing a scavenger hunt alone can constitute hazing - the sisters obviously know this since they told the pledges don't connect this to a sorority activity in any way and essentially deny that you're pledging a sorority. I'm sorry but in my opinion if I have to deny being a proud new member of a sorority while doing an activity I would seriously consider that hazing - even if the sisters were participating too. There are so many things that the sisters have done that could be considered hazing that its absolutely ridiculous - they should have worried about that before they signed on to MTV.

I have a question regarding the house. Now part way through SL1 they moved Jessica in to the house because there was a room free. When Karissa left this house why didn't another pledge move in. You've obviously got Brittany who doesn't mind being on tv I cant believe she wouldn't have jumped at the chance of moving in.

Carolyn

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter

Last edited by phisigduchesscv; 05-15-2003 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:17 PM

Re: News Update

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan
Remember how in the beginning of SL2 the DZO people were saying how they enjoyed being a local?

Times change......

http://www.deltaxiomega.com/news.htm
There's a HUGE difference between DZO expanding and starting chapters that will follow their ideas, and DZO becoming part of an established national group. The latter was what they meant they would not have liked.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought Julia moved in when Karissa moved out?
Old 05-15-2003, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
I thought Julia moved in when Karissa moved out?
Nope Julia was one of the originals that moved in. Since Karissa moved out they haven't brought anyone in.

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 05-15-2003, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiRattlerGal Send a message via Yahoo to APhiRattlerGal
Re: Arg!!!!!

Quote:
[i]
And Brittany is just really really scary. Sometimes I have nightmares. No, seriously. She has the weirdest face! [/B]

He he ok good, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks that. Everytime i see her its like "AHHHHH"