GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,730
0 members and 1,730 guests
No Members online

Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Dropped girls and letters

I was reading a thread the other day about seeing your letters in strange places. And this one girl had mentioned that a girl in her sorority had gotten a shirt during her new membership period, dropped and initiated with another sorority and wore the letters to make fun of them during a greekweek skit. This girl said that they "needed to keep better track of their shirts and letters."

My chapter is new and we're learning the majority of everything as we go.
So, I was wondering if we were supposed to get shirts/letters back from girls that have dropped or what?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-21-2010, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLuv16 View Post
I was reading a thread the other day about seeing your letters in strange places. And this one girl had mentioned that a girl in her sorority had gotten a shirt during her new membership period, dropped and initiated with another sorority and wore the letters to make fun of them during a greekweek skit. This girl said that they "needed to keep better track of their shirts and letters."

My chapter is new and we're learning the majority of everything as we go.
So, I was wondering if we were supposed to get shirts/letters back from girls that have dropped or what?
I would talk to your Chapter Advisor or an officer. Each sorority is different with their rules. In AOII we do require that you turn over all of your AOII items and your badge. So it just depends! Remember this is a public message board.

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 06-21-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Read some of her other posts to figure out she's an ASA
Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
I would talk to your Chapter Advisor or an officer. Each sorority is different with their rules. In AOII we do require that you turn over all of your AOII items and your badge. So it just depends! Remember this is a public message board.
*points out which forum this is in*

Most sororities require that you return your letters, but it's difficult to make someone return T-shirts etc. if they've decided they don't want to.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for pointing out the forum.

And yea i kinda of figured so much and was going to ask our regional director because like i said we're new and our advisors are new too.. but i was wondering if they did say we need to get the shirts back do we reimburse the girls because i think all but 2 of our shirts last yr were paid by each new member/sister
Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLuv16 View Post
Thanks for pointing out the forum.

And yea i kinda of figured so much and was going to ask our regional director because like i said we're new and our advisors are new too.. but i was wondering if they did say we need to get the shirts back do we reimburse the girls because i think all but 2 of our shirts last yr were paid by each new member/sister
Definitely ask, we never reimbursed but your regional rep might have some good feedback there.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the sororities that was on my campus would have a rummage sale with a dropped sister's items- and the procedes went to the dropped sister. That way they got their lettered items back and the sister was somewhat reimbursed for whatever amount she spent on the tee shirts and whatnot.

I think this worked well if the separation was on good terms.

(I think they also did this at the end of the year with stuff that the seniors wanted to get rid of). I always wished we had done something like that.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
*points out which forum this is in*

Most sororities require that you return your letters, but it's difficult to make someone return T-shirts etc. if they've decided they don't want to.
Yeah! I missed that but I did adjust my post!

Also whenever I see "alphaluv" I always think of AOII first! I know bad, but just what comes to my mind!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Yeah! I missed that but I did adjust my post!

Also whenever I see "alphaluv" I always think of AOII first! I know bad, but just what comes to my mind!
Hehe it's cool I do the same thing with anything involving SK.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 PM

When you say "dropped" do you mean they were initiated, or they dropped out while they were pledging?

At any rate, GET THE SHIRTS BACK. Women who are not new members or initiated sisters should not be wearing or possessing our letters. If women want to drop, they should be informed that they need to return anything with ASA insignia to the chapter, including letter shirts and their pins. As far as whether you should offer to reimburse them, it really depends on the situation. If Susie is dropping out only because her dad lost his job and she's broke...yes, it's a nice thing to do to offer to buy them back from her. If women are being terminated because of disciplinary or other reasons, they shouldn't get that consideration.

Are you having problems with lots of girls dropping? All I can say is, don't hand letters out like candy, and don't encourage people to go crazy buying stuff. Ask your advisors if they can contact their chapter sisters for old shirts they might want to donate.