GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,650
3 members and 1,647 guests
MSKKG, Tridentia

Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a member who was a member of another fraternity before he rushed us, and we revoked his membership when we found out 2 years later. If you don't like where you are at, then you should not have pledged that fraternity anyway. Be a man and stick with the bond you made. If you are unhappy with the way things are in your organization, then step up and try to change things.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

It all comes to how each chapter runs things. The right to manage memberships is left with each chapter.

Last edited by TitaniumGene; 03-03-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: new information
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumGene View Post
It all comes to how each chapter runs things. The right to manage memberships is left with each chapter.
Wrong.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Wrong.
Nooo, I think he's quite right - maybe your policies say it's OK to accept someone from another fraternity, but you have the right to say that's a failing of character you will not accept in your chapter.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Nooo, I think he's quite right - maybe your policies say it's OK to accept someone from another fraternity, but you have the right to say that's a failing of character you will not accept in your chapter.
It really depends on what type of organization the first one was. Like there is a whole process to follow if you want to go from NIC to NIC. And even if you do, there are fraternities that require you to have never been initiated elsewhere. And finally even if all else is good ot go, it's up to the chapter to decide if they want somebody who has already forsaken one oath.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'd say he's half-right. It doesn't all depend on how a chapter runs things. It can depend on national policies and a chapter's policies/preferences.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

How are you going to say that I'm wrong and not offer your opinion or a valid source...

Anyways. I believe it would be helpful to cite regulations from national headquarters. SigEp National requires a formal letter from the previous organization. They leave the bidding up to their chapter.

SigEp's BMP even offers brothers the option to resign within a certain time period and get a refund.

Last edited by TitaniumGene; 03-04-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
How are you going to say that I'm wrong and not offer your opinion or a valid source...

Anyways. I believe it would be helpful to cite regulations from national headquarters. SigEp National requires a formal letter from the previous organization. They leave the bidding up to their chapter.

SigEp's BMP even offers brothers the option to resign within a certain time period and get a refund.
So you are admitting you were wrong?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Chalk up another reason to make fun of BMP.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
So you are admitting you were wrong?
No. I am merely stating that my opinion was based on my observation at my school.

The BMP is showing to be more successful than any fraternity's pledge process. It educates brothers, not pledges, associate members, or whatever you want to call them.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No. I am merely stating that my opinion was based on my observation at my school.

The BMP is showing to be more successful than any fraternity's pledge process. It educates brothers, not pledges, associate members, or whatever you want to call them.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yet you stated it as fact, not opinion. And as Vito noted, you yourself contradicted your own opinion that "it all comes to how each chapter run things" by noting that your own fraternity has national requirements that must be satisfied before the chapter can even consider whether or not to accept as a member someone who already joined another fraternity. So it doesn't "all" come down to how the chapter runs things.

It may seem like people are picking nits with what you said, but when someone comes to GC with a question like this, accuracy is important.

Quote:
The BMP is showing to be more successful than any fraternity's pledge process.
Again, just to be clear: your opinion, not objective fact.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:

"Successful" in what manner? Sorry but that's a really wide open for interpretation thing to say.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Success is difficult to measure, I admit. I am going to define "success" as creating a positive, lifelong bond between brothers. The success of BMP is that is creates strong lifelong bonds without a pledge process. I hope that's a little bit narrower.

@ Mysticat

I agree with everything you've said. However, the original poster didn't state which fraternity he came from or which one he wanted to switch into. Thus, I am unable to locate a specific list of membership requirements. As a result I am forced to give very general answers that are pretty much opinion/observation based.

Last edited by TitaniumGene; 03-05-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Success is difficult to measure, I admit. I am going to define "success" as creating a positive, lifelong bond between brothers. The success of BMP is that is creates strong lifelong bonds without a pledge process. I hope that's a little bit narrower.
Positive, lifelong bonds were beening created, outside SigEp and within SigEp, for well over 100 years before the BMP came along. Otherwise, all of our fraternities would have died long ago. The BMP itself is too young to really measure whether it creates stronger lifelong bonds.

The "pledge process" is not, in and of itself, positive or negative. How it is implimented can be. Many, many of us went through very positive "pledge processes" that created positive, lifelong bonds of loyalty and brotherhood/sisterhood.

I have nothing against the BMP at all. If it works for SigEp, who am I to argue? But I will argue with uninformed assertionis that it is "showing to be more successful than any other fraternities pledge process." Be content that it works for you and for your fraternity, and resist the urge to declare superiority over other ways of doing things.

Quote:
@ Mysticat

I agree with everything you've said. However, the original poster didn't state which fraternity he came from or which one he wanted to switch into. Thus, I am unable to locate a specific list of membership requirements. As a result I am forced to give very general answers that are pretty much opinion/observation based.
Nobody "forced" you to give any answer -- the answer is all over this thread and others. The problem is not that your answer was general, it's that it was incomplete, because it doesn't "all" depend on how the chapter runs things. It depends on how the national organizations in question do things and how the chapter does things.