GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,369
3 members and 1,366 guests
KDKells, Phrozen Sands, zathonyjunioro9

Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Switching Fraternities

last semester i joined a frat at uf, was a freshman, thought it was rly cool. so i got initiated. but now it seems like its been getin kinda sucky. not a hole lot goin on there. so im wondering, if i drop out and am stripped of my letters, then is it ok to join another frat?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

No.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
It's also not ok that you're a college student writing in that manner. Troll?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I apologize if you feel grammatical accuracy is so important on an internet forum. However, there must be some steps that could be taken. Or if it simply wasn't mentioned, might I slip through the cracks?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

No.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torb8 View Post
Ok, I apologize if you feel grammatical accuracy is so important on an internet forum.
If you want anyone to even take you or your posts seriously, you might want to reconsider the importance of grammar and spelling on an internet forum.

You're the one asking for help, remember?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to the University of Alabama and in Alabama there are laws that will not let you join another fraternity after you have already been initiated.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer11 View Post
I go to the University of Alabama and in Alabama there are laws that will not let you join another fraternity after you have already been initiated.
What kind of laws? State of Alabama laws? You'll get arrested if you try to initiate into another fraternity?

Care to cite your source? I'm curious.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
If you want anyone to even take you or your posts seriously, you might want to reconsider the importance of grammar and spelling on an internet forum.

You're the one asking for help, remember?
ok, point taken
Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's something I find puzzling. I can find the NIC webpage easily, (though having trouble finding a comprehensive list of rules). However I can't find anything for IFC. I'm not entirely sure what distinguishes them, but IIRC, the rule is that you can't be in more than one NIC fraternity. However, there are some IFC fraternities that are not in the NIC (like phidelt). So how would those rules apply?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Here's something I find puzzling. I can find the NIC webpage easily, (though having trouble finding a comprehensive list of rules). However I can't find anything for IFC. I'm not entirely sure what distinguishes them, but IIRC, the rule is that you can't be in more than one NIC fraternity. However, there are some IFC fraternities that are not in the NIC (like phidelt). So how would those rules apply?
ugh. Do you really think once you drop out of one fraternity that another is going to be stupid enough to let you join theirs?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
NIC = National Interfraternity Conference - the national body.
IFC = InterFraternity Council - what you call the individual group on campus.

Depending on your campus, you may have fraternities, like Phi Delt or Kappa Sigma, that are on your campus's IFC but no longer affiliated with the NIC nationally. They are not part of another national body though.

The NIC doesn't really make a lot of rules like the National Panhellenic Conference (i.e. the sorority governing body) does. Really your best bet is to look thru the rules of the group you are looking at dropping and the group you are looking at pledging.

Of course, even if both say it's OK fine to do, there is a chance that no other chapters at UF will want anything to do with you because of your association with the first group.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM

g8torb8-

What's "sucky" about your chapter? (without naming your org) You obviously felt some connection to it to begin with; what happened?

Even though UF is a huge campus and has many Greeks, I doubt that you would be able to drop out of your current GLO, go through rush, pledge another group, and not be found out. Surely your current brothers would see/notice you walking around at some point with your new pledge pin or party t-shirt on. Also, I would think that some members of other GLOs already know you are a member of your current group and would know you are not eligible to join another group. Even within a huge Greek organization, it is a "6 degrees of separation" that someone would know what you are trying to pull. Don't embarass yourself and become a campus joke.

If your current chapter is lacking something, why don't you try to be the change you want to make? Get a couple of other brothers on your side and try to make things happen.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to pledge another fraternity without somebody knowing that you dropped out of one.

People in fraternities do talk.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
might I slip through the cracks?
A bunch of NIC fraternity founders just rolled over in their graves and they can't figure out why.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.