GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,771
0 members and 1,771 guests
No Members online

Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe many nationals will not allow the pledging of a member who has been initiated by another national because of the knowledge of the initiation ritual. My own group is one of those; however, we will pledge a former pledge of another GLO after a certain period of time has elapsed.

I've often wondered if it's a kind of reciprocal agreement between fraternities to limit ritual knowledge to those who have been initiated by only one fraternity and never another. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
I believe many nationals will not allow the pledging of a member who has been initiated by another national because of the knowledge of the initiation ritual. My own group is one of those; however, we will pledge a former pledge of another GLO after a certain period of time has elapsed.

I've often wondered if it's a kind of reciprocal agreement between fraternities to limit ritual knowledge to those who have been initiated by only one fraternity and never another. Does anyone know if this is true?
that doesn't make sense, if they have only been initiated by only one group, then they only know one ritual, and if they hand that over, it's shitty, and i myself would be inclined to beat the hell out of someone in my chapter if they did it.

on a note, at uf, even if he had just pledged one group, odds are another wouldn't take him. at least not top tier, but lets not get into that.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torb8 View Post
last semester i joined a frat at uf, was a freshman, thought it was rly cool. so i got initiated. but now it seems like its been getin kinda sucky. not a hole lot goin on there. so im wondering, if i drop out and am stripped of my letters, then is it ok to join another frat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torb8 View Post
Ok, I apologize if you feel grammatical accuracy is so important on an internet forum. However, there must be some steps that could be taken. Or if it simply wasn't mentioned, might I slip through the cracks?
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=102196

It seems as though this is becoming a trend...

@~/~~~~
Old 01-19-2009, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
at least not top tier, but lets not get into that.
I would be very surprised if he was top tier.

I put money on TEP
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post

I put money on TEP
good point.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post

I put money on TEP
I thought TEP got kicked off campus at UF in the fall... Of course that could explain why he wanted to change houses.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I think if it was TEP he would've mentioned that his chapter was kicked off or whatever.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
I thought TEP got kicked off campus at UF in the fall... Of course that could explain why he wanted to change houses.
Didn't know TEP was gone.

I'm outdated, I suppose.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are a man of honor you would not even think of joining another fraternity. Why don't you work on your own fraternity and build it into what you envision as the best on campus? Not the biggest but the best.

You can disafiliate from your fraternity with a written letter to your chapter and national but you are honor bound to not pledge another fraternity.

You must be up to date on any money owed prior to renouncing your affiliation.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Get to work in that frat, bring about a change and quit whining.

Booker T. Washington
Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

More than a century ago it was customary on some prominent campuses for a man to join one fraternity as a sophomore, then another fraternity as a junior. NIC fraternities now have the rule against joining another fraternity as a matter of honor, but also to prevent "shopping" as gatorbait desires to do.
G8torb8, if you transfer schools you can go through rush and pledge whichever fraternity you want. Just don't ever reveal that you were a brother in another fraternity. It's not "legal" or ethical but you will probably get what you want.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
More than a century ago it was customary on some prominent campuses for a man to join one fraternity as a sophomore, then another fraternity as a junior. NIC fraternities now have the rule against joining another fraternity as a matter of honor, but also to prevent "shopping" as gatorbait desires to do.
G8torb8, if you transfer schools you can go through rush and pledge whichever fraternity you want. Just don't ever reveal that you were a brother in another fraternity. It's not "legal" or ethical but you will probably get what you want.
and also know this is dangerous and could backfire horribly.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it's dangerous and could backfire, but it's not as uncommon as you might think.
Rushee comes through and is offered a bid. He wants to join and shares his secret with a friend in the chapter. Friend takes him to the rush chairman who has rushed the guy.
"You were initiated into another national fraternity?"
"Yes, I was initiated into XYZ when I was a freshman then I transfered back here to be closer to home."
"Where were you initiated?"
"Up at Wankle State (1,000 miles away)."
"Is there anybody here who knows you were initiated?"
"No."
"Can you keep our mouth shut?"
"Yes."
"OK, here's the deal. I'm going to pledge you but this conversation never took place. If you're found out, the chapter will kick you out and I will be the first to say I never knew. Can you live with that?"
"Yes. Thank you."
Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PHISIGPSITRITON
Christ sake man do you have any loyalty to your Fraternity? If its not a good fraternity then change it. You know America is in a rough spot right now, not the best place to live so why don't you move to France? Go apologize to your brothers right now you spineless punk!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISIGPSITRITON View Post
Christ sake man do you have any loyalty to your Fraternity? If its not a good fraternity then change it. You know America is in a rough spot right now, not the best place to live so why don't you move to France? Go apologize to your brothers right now you spineless punk!
Alright, lay off this dude. Let me tell you, that a lot of people are going to feel angry with you for doing this, because whenever someone drops from a Fraternity, the people that do care take it personally (as they should)

But think about it, here is your chance to make your Fraternity great. You could tell your kids about the time when you were in college and you joined a Frat, or you could tell them about the time you saved a Frat

If you are successful, you will have such an amazing skill on your hands. You will be able to turn crap into gold, a talent that is well sought after in the corporate world. I almost wish I had the opportunity you do right now