GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,356
0 members and 2,356 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Please tell me that no one indulged the couple and bought this.
Oh, yes...someone did. As my niece said, why would you spend that much on clothes for someone who can't control their bowels?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2013, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Just got my save the dates in the mail and they are amazing. If anyone needs wedding stationary, Minted is great to work with.

The dilemma: Fiance and I don't live together and so I was at a loss what to do for our return addresses. I decided to use our names + my address.
How much of a faux pas would it be to use labels or a stamp for the return address? It wouldn't be a standard label; I would probably order from etsy.
I think either would be fine. I got a free stamp from VistaPrint to use for our RSVPs since the envelopes were smallish and we had about 140 to do. It wasn't super high quality, but it worked well enough. We knew we'd be moving out of state shortly after the wedding. If you're going to be living at your fiancé's address after the wedding, you'll probably want something better as I don't think this would last much beyond 300 - 500 uses.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I think a stamp or a label is fine. Depending on the size of your wedding, I wouldn't want to write my address 100+ times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish81 View Post
I think either would be fine. I got a free stamp from VistaPrint to use for our RSVPs since the envelopes were smallish and we had about 140 to do. It wasn't super high quality, but it worked well enough. We knew we'd be moving out of state shortly after the wedding. If you're going to be living at your fiancé's address after the wedding, you'll probably want something better as I don't think this would last much beyond 300 - 500 uses.
Thank you both! Now the hunt begins for labels/a stamper that aren't crazy expensive.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you both! Now the hunt begins for labels/a stamper that aren't crazy expensive.
I got two different size custom stamps made, one on Etsy and one on Ebay. The larger one was like 20 bucks. If you are still looking, PM me. I'll try to find the links.

--------------------
As an aside, got our pictures back! It was so fun, like re-living the day!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
I got two different size custom stamps made, one on Etsy and one on Ebay. The larger one was like 20 bucks. If you are still looking, PM me. I'll try to find the links.

--------------------
As an aside, got our pictures back! It was so fun, like re-living the day!
I actually have already ordered our labels. It was hard to find a design to fit both of our names on it.

Does your photographer put his/her images on a blog so you could share?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I actually have already ordered our labels. It was hard to find a design to fit both of our names on it.
Truth! And to still make the two names look good!

Quote:
Does your photographer put his/her images on a blog so you could share?
Sure! I'll PM you. He just redesigned the website, so he was able to store all 500+ of our photos on his site (for a temporary bit).

Where are you at on the countdown?

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
Where are you at on the countdown?
We are at 243 days as of today! The last few months have flown by.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought that everyone did a destination bachelorette. Usually it's just been a long weekend at the beach, or a typical party destination (i.e., New Orleans, Las Vegas). So it doesn't get crazy expensive, and no one's taking extra vacation time unless they want to add on more time.

Multiple bachies were also pretty common. Most of my girlfriends live far from where they grew up so they have a home and local bachie.

But can you imagine $4000/person???

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/fa...mber.html?_r=0
Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM

^^^This is one of those things where you really have to know your friends/maids and what's realistic for them.

I notice a lot of variation in bachelorette events based on age of bride/bridal party and level of education/career attainment.

If you're 22 and all of your maids are still in school, they may not be able to swing 4 days in New Orleans/Vegas/etc. like a bridal party of late 20somethings/30somethings can. A friend worked with a bride whose bachelorette weekend was in the south of France. However, she is almost 40, as are most of he maids. So they are established in their careers and it's no big deal.

22 year old bride likely has 20-22 year old maids who are in school or are recent grads, and as such, is likely to just do a weekend somewhere close or within driving range (i.e. Myrtle Beach road trip.)

It's all about knowing what your peeps can afford. If you plan a south of France bachelorette weekend for a party that's still in college, you'll likely be the only one there celebrating yourself (unless they are the type of 22 year olds who can afford it.)

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-26-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^This is one of those things where you really have to know your friends/maids and what's realistic for them.

I notice a lot of variation in bachelorette events based on age of bride/bridal party and level of education/career attainment.
I notice the same things. I'm a newlywed in my early twenties, and my bachelorette party was 5 good friends (note- only one bridesmaid due to location/age/cost), a driving trip to the nearest major major metro area, and crashing at one friend's parents home. We went out and drank and had a great time, but other than obscene alcohol tabs split across the group, it was pretty cheap. We had the best time, and it was a truly great experience.

Many of my friends who are newlyweds and in my age group din't go away- they got a hotel room for the night here in town and hit the clubs. Those were fun too, although very different than mine or others I've heard of. I'm sure it was because no one in the group could afford to go away.

One of my coworkers is in her late twenties and is getting married in two months. Her bachelorette party was in NYC (where no one lives), and was definitely more expensive and lavish than mine. But, all her friends are in that same lifestage and can/could afford it. That's what is done in her group, based on the stories I've heard from other parties she's attended.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
I notice the same things. I'm a newlywed in my early twenties, and my bachelorette party was 5 good friends (note- only one bridesmaid due to location/age/cost), a driving trip to the nearest major major metro area, and crashing at one friend's parents home. We went out and drank and had a great time, but other than obscene alcohol tabs split across the group, it was pretty cheap. We had the best time, and it was a truly great experience.

Many of my friends who are newlyweds and in my age group din't go away- they got a hotel room for the night here in town and hit the clubs. Those were fun too, although very different than mine or others I've heard of. I'm sure it was because no one in the group could afford to go away.

One of my coworkers is in her late twenties and is getting married in two months. Her bachelorette party was in NYC (where no one lives), and was definitely more expensive and lavish than mine. But, all her friends are in that same lifestage and can/could afford it. That's what is done in her group, based on the stories I've heard from other parties she's attended.
It's so funny--I'm in my early 30s and I live in NYC. Most of my friends are getting married now, in their late 20s and early 30s. The multiple bachie or destination bachie is STANDARD. I don't know what I would do if someone did something else, hahaha.

Congrats on the wedding, and LITB!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 PM

^^^^^Was just out at a winery 20 min from my house. Huge pack of women came through on a bachelorette party. We were all like "who parties for their wedding like 20 min from their house?" Found out that bride was 22. Makes sense!

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Most people are doing destination bachelorette parties? Really? I've been to quite a few and have yet to attend one in some far away place. I haven't even heard of friends of friends having destination bachelorette parties.. And all of my friends are in their late 20s/early 30s.

But then again, a lot of my friends live in PA and have their "stag 'n drags," which usually cover the bachelor/bachelorette party all at once.. together.

I have one to go to next summer, and I'm traveling a good distance for that, but that's only because it's going to be in New Hampshire (or somewhere close to there), where the bride lives. Seven of her eight bridesmaids live in other states - Connecticut, Virginia, Texas, etc. - so of course we all have to travel. But we're also doing the shower that weekend, so it kind of requires us to stay "close to home" so the bride's family members can attend the shower, too.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 12-04-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Crowd sourcing a bit:
Where did you shop for bridesmaid dresses? We (I'm maid of honor) are looking at a bunch of places but haven't found many that would work on the maids. None of David's bridal were right. Found one on Modcloth that would have worked, but it sold out. All of us maids are rather busty so we were hoping for a dress that wasn't strapless or had an illusion neckline.

This was the dress we liked: dress

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 12-05-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

J. Crew?