GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,301
3 members and 2,298 guests
Cookiez17, Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 04-04-2001, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Wanna be an Alpha Sigma Alpha!!!

Hey Everyone,
Whassup? Just needing a little advice on what rush is all about and what advantages or disadvantages there are since my mom was an Alpha Sigma Alpha too. I am worried that since I am married and have a little girl (she lives with my 'rents) I might have a hard time gettin in. I really love everything that Alpha Sigma Alpah stands for and how they treat others on campus here at the University of Central Arkansas. I also know a lot of the new pledges, but no older (and wiser..he he) members. I could use any help or advice anyone wants to offer....I have wanted to be a part of this sorority since my mom told me she had been in it. Please tell me all you can! Luv, Tracie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2001, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Dont be afraid to rush....If the chapter your wanting to join is anything like my chapter they will accept you with open arms...We give out bids to people who we know will carry our letters and traditions on with great pride. The only thing is since you are married if you were initiated you might go straight to alumni status?? but im not sure if all chapters are the same about that?! Good Luck...Alpha Sigma Alpha is the time of my life!
Old 04-15-2001, 09:33 PM
Unregistered-

Lana,

In the same thread in the Rush forum, countrygal mentioned that she was only 18 years old. Though I am not an ASA, I know many married young women who belong to undergrad chapters of NPC sororities. From what I read from her replies in the rush forum, her husband is totally supportive of her as he knows how important it is that she wants to join ASA. There are a lot of women out there that are able to balance family life and the sorority...it depends on the strength of that woman! I think that her desire so far is an indication of how much she wants to be a part of your sisterhood.

Of course, you gals know more about ASA than I do. I just wanted to add my two cents.
Old 06-10-2001, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

do urself a favor and stop stessin over it...when school starts up again, or even if u know who the president is now, go talk to her, and ask her what she thinks... as with many chapters, including mine--epsilon rho-- all sisters are very open and do not mind at all to talk to anyone, especially those interested in becoming a sister of Alpha Sigma Alpha. good luck honey, let me know how things turn out.
Old 07-22-2001, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus Countrygal said her child lives with her parents- if she doesn't have time to take care of her child then how can she have time to be in a sorority-?
I am sorry that I offended people, but such is life. My above comment wasn't meant to be rude. I just know that in my chapter we see what extracurricular activities people are involved in bc some (like cheerleading)take up so much time that people are hardly around to do stuff for the house. One new member was so busy with cheer stuff and couldn't make more than half of the mandatory events/meetings that she decided to quit. SO i can only imagine that a child would take up as much time as well.

Last edited by AlphaSigLana; 08-09-2002 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2001, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

In Reply to Lana,
You have no right to attack me as a person. Since you do not know me or my situation, you should not be so quick to judge others. Have you never watched Bambi? If you have nothing nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all. I am a very nice person, and I make friends easily. As a matter of fact, sorority sisters like you are the reason that I have decided not to join one after all. Why should I pay people to be rude to me like that? I hope that from now on you would try to be nicer and more understanding of other people's lives....everyone's isn't "leave it to beaver" perfect....and i am a very good mother. My parents keep my daughter so that I can do well at school....3 hours away. I have a 3.9 GPA and bust my rear to get good grades. Grow up! Me
Old 10-12-2001, 06:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to asaladybug Send a message via AIM to asaladybug Send a message via Yahoo to asaladybug
Thumbs up Being an ASA parent

I have two sisters in my chapter that have children! They both made mistakes when they were young, and they have evidence of that, but they are both excellent mothers!

They understand the importance of sisterhood and have huge responsibilities in the sorority. The entire chapter helps them look after the kids when they are doing things with the sorority, and they often leave the kids with their parents for lenghty times when they need a break so they can do well in school. There's no shame in that!

Countrygal, don't let one person's opinion and judgement discourage you from joining a sorority, regardless of whether it is ASA or not. If you feel that sorority life is for you, then you go for it!

I almost let someone talk me out of it because I'm a non-traditional student, but I can't imagine my life without ASA! I can't believe I ever even toyed with the thought that I was too old to go there!

Whatever you decide, have fun, live your life like you know is right for you, and good luck with anything you choose!
Old 08-06-2002, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

i really want to rush for asa!!! tell me what is up?????
Old 08-06-2002, 10:11 AM

christinab,

I assume you are either going to UTSA or Incarnate Word?

Your best bet is probably to contact the school's Greek life or student life office and ask them for info on rush.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks!!!33girl. i am going to uiw and will contact someone asap.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
Hey christinab103!

I'm Leigh Ann an ASA in Louisiana. Just wanted to say good luck with rush! Ours starts next week. Go with your heart and get the chapter that fits with you the most. Let us know which lucky chapter you get in to when you go through rush. Before I go just want to say hey to all you Alpha Sigs!
Old 09-21-2002, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I was waundering around on the GC boards and I found this thread...Now I know that I'm not an ASA but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. And I'm gonna defend Lana....Perhaps she comes from a more traditional greek system as I do. If a woman who was married with child came through our recruitment I can tell you right now that every cahpter (and there are 12 here at Arizona) would drop her. It would just be so shocking. It's not necessarily a bad thing though. Most chapters would feel she wouldn't fit in with their memebrs because everyone else is in a very carefree stage of their life and someone who is married with a child definately isn't there. So don't flame Lana, at some schools it just isn't acceptable. AX Love & Mine
Old 10-05-2002, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

AXWhoa-- thanks for your comments.
I hope all the ASA's had a great recruitment!