GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,478
1 members and 1,477 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Watch a movie called The Warriors. There is a scene with a group called the Orphans. They sound like the kind of fellows you'd like to affiliate with.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Watch a movie called The Warriors. There is a scene with a group called the Orphans. They sound like the kind of fellows you'd like to affiliate with.
Dunno man, sounds like he needs Lord of the Flies.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav3n View Post
Well Knight Shadow the only one that has tried to help me is Lanesig
No, quite a few people tried to help you by pointing out that this question has been asked many times and that your time might be better spent reading some of those threads and then asking whatever questions you may still have.

But just to humor you --

There is no rule on how to pick a name. Most fraternities and sororities use Greek-letter names -- the Greek letters stand for a name, motto, or set of virtues/principles that is also usually, but not always, in Greek. But there's no rule about it.

Chapters don't "mean" anything. They are the local (as in specific to a campus or community) groups of national or international fraternities.

Colonies are new groups of inter/national fraternities hoping to become chapters.

Administration and rules are up to you.

And, all bold is not easy to read.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Amazing, this is some of the typocaly posts? Sad.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Nearly "rhymes with isosceles" is how I read it.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 PM

This thread has some helpful info:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...tart+a+setting

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

You are all ridiculous, KSU violet was the only person who tried to help.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
You are all ridiculous, KSU violet was the only person who tried to help.
You obviously didn't read the thread, then.

And your comment wasn't helpful either

Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

10-01-2007, 07:32 PM
adpiucf

While that may be true, it could be that the OP wants to learn more about Greek life, so let's answer his questions.

Teamcrunk-- get together a group of people interested in starting a co-ed social organization. As a group, come up with the following:
  • A mission statement: why do you exist and why should people want to join? Hint: this purpose should be something you would be proud to tell your parents about.
  • Pick a name, colors and symbols: what is your brand? come up with a tag line, something that will have some longevity and something your mother would be proud to repeat.
  • How do people join?
  • What does the organization do? Develop a schedule of activities that range from social to service to academic, as well as regular business meetings
  • How much will it cost to develop and put on these activities? Plan for dues and how many members it will take to pull off these activities without each member breaking the bank.
  • Are there phases of membership or an initiation? Develop plans to educate new members and create a new member manual with all of the things a member of your organization should know.
  • If you plan to create a special ceremony to initiate your members, do so. This can mirror some of the induction ceremonies you may have participated in while in high school-- a pledge to be loyal to ideals of the organization, respectful of its members, and an official pinning or receipt of a token that symbolizes the organization.
Hope this helps! Starting any new organization, whether or not it has Greek letters, is a lot of work. It can be very challenging to get others to participate, to pay dues or to follow through on doing the things they promise to do. You may want to see if perhaps your university already has other organizations that are more established -- it may be easier to join an existing activity and immediately enjoy the benefits.

As a co-ed organization, if your membership practices are not exclusive; that is, if anyone at the university may join, you may be eligible to receive student government funding.

Good luck!

Click here for the 411 on sorority recruitment... and if you have questions about Greece or the Greek language, well... we're just not that kind of Greek Chat...
Last edited by adpiucf : 10-01-2007 at 08:02 PM.

HE is right! there are only a hand full actually helping me...telling me read threads that dont answer my questions is useless.... waste of time... i finally found somone that is really helpful i dont understand why it was soooo hard to just answer my questions if you knew the answers.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

instead of mocking me and telling me to watch movies that are 20 years old... " so if i watch Old school i know what its like to be in a fraternity i dont think sooooo" thats bad advise. thank you for the people that actually tried!!!! and helped
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, are we contractually obligated to help you? NO.

Go read a book, Orphan.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

In all seriousness, with no snippiness (well, maybe a little,) have you used the search button? Many, many people before you have tried to reinvent the wheel and they've all started new threads. While each group may be a bit unique, the advice and information is not. All the information in the world is not going to help unless you talk to the administration. You said there's no one to talk to - what does that mean? Do you not have an administration? Do you go to a public university or a private one?
Think of this sight as a self-serve ice cream machine. You can stand there in front of the machine all day and ask it to give you ice cream, or you can push the little lever. (Information = ice cream. Search function: = little lever.)
Old 02-13-2008, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav3n View Post
HE is right! there are only a hand full actually helping me...telling me read threads that dont answer my questions is useless.... waste of time... i finally found somone that is really helpful i dont understand why it was soooo hard to just answer my questions if you knew the answers.
Have you read the other threads, or are you just assuming that they don't answer your questions?

The reality is there is no one answer to your question. There's not a recipe for starting a fraternity; there's no one way to do it. The information that adpiucf gave you is certainly useful, but the reality is that a good number of existing (and thriving) fraternities did not follow the advice she set out. What works one place and with one group of people will fail miserably somewhere else or with a different group of people.

The best way for you to figure out what will work for you is learn how other organizations, especially those similar to what you want to start, began. Learn from their successes, learn from their mistakes and use your own intelligence and imagination to apply what you've learned to your specific situation on your campus. That's why the best advice you've been getting is to read the existing threads on the subject. I'm sorry that you see it as people blowing you off.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

that was the most intelligent thing i have heard thus far. thank you. I have enough information for my purpose....
Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Mystic, you said what we all already said, just in a more eloquent way. rav3n, if you read what we said as being mean, then you got a little more growing up to do before you organize a brotherhood of men. I guess you just didn't understand that people that have been on this forum for a long time have discussed this topic to death, so much so, that there are several threads that exist now that they were directing you to read, rather than start up a whole new one. And I felt my first post was not only easy to understand, but not in the least bit snarky - matter of fact at worst.

Last edited by SthrnZeta; 02-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.