GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,618
2 members and 1,616 guests
FSUZeta, navane

Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see what's wrong with embracing the best of both worlds. Choosing to belong to a historically white fraternity/sorority is not renouncing one's culture or roots.
Why is it okay for the Thetas to step at a "white" school and not the Pikas to stroll at a "black" one? From what I see on a lot of websites, many multicultural (not only NPHC) GLOs have signs, lines and other traditions that they have clearly borrowed from the NPHC.

I am glad that that there is social intermingling between IFC/NPHC/NPC groups at Phrozen Genius' school and I hope it occurs at more campuses than just his.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reds6
but I do find it interesting that most commentary from Pikes on Howard's campus was that they didn't find what they wanted in other fraternities on campus and were prescribing to something different yet they mimic BGLO traditions.
This is what I am trying to say. Why go through the whole effort to do something different, then just mimic what you see.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alum
Why is it okay for the Thetas to step at a "white" school and not the Pikas to stroll at a "black" one? From what I see on a lot of websites, many multicultural (not only NPHC) GLOs have signs, lines and other traditions that they have clearly borrowed from the NPHC.
Who are the Thetas?

PIKE isn't considered a "multicultural GLO" and this is why their adoption of certain traditions on one campus would get some attention. I say "some" because I predict/hope that people will stop "caring" in a couple of months, unless something spectacular happens.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
I agree. But, there are unique differences. In the 'RainMan' thread, there are posts describing all of the nuances that occur when Omegas step to 'Atomic Dog'. We all get that and recognize that as unique to Omega no matter where you go. I'm sure we did (or have done since I left) some conforming, but we have not abandoned our own traditions and replaced them with the 'norm'. AFAIK the NPHC chapters at my undergrad still do their own thing.
I thought the strolling discussion was in this thread.

On a larger scale, other GLOs aren't swarming in and adopting what WE identify as BGLO traditions. Moreover, a few of the things that BGLOs think we started began elsewhere. In the end our bragging rights as organizations extend far beyond the strolling, stepping, line jackets, and hand signs (that not even everyone in our organizations do). We have always been about sisterhood/brotherhood, scholarship, and service. It's okay if we want to protect "our traditions" or even occasionally smirk when others try to adopt them but folks need to remember not to get lost in that--I think that's what enigma_AKA was previously pointing out.

I don't know what "AFAIK" is.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Who are the Thetas?
Kappa Alpha Theta's nickname

AFAIK - And For All I Know or As Far As I Know

Last edited by aopirose; 05-09-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

If other non-BGLOs have calls and hand signs, then I really don't understand why there's an issue with an NIC fraternity using them. It's the culture of the campus. There are some local sororities who participate in NPC-style recruitment, yet have no intention of becoming NPC. NPC groups don't usually have issues about that.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
If other non-BGLOs have calls and hand signs, then I really don't understand why there's an issue with an NIC fraternity using them. It's the culture of the campus. There are some local sororities who participate in NPC-style recruitment, yet have no intention of becoming NPC. NPC groups don't usually have issues about that.
i wouldnt have a problem with, lets say, an NPC/NIC organization decided to recruit similarly to NPHC. i dont have a problem with non-BGLOs (be it multicultural or NPC/NIC/IFC) using hand signs/calls, though the former may be more traditional of NPHC than the latter (i assumed that all greek organizations had calls/hand signs. correct me if im wrong).

but, i do have a problem with said greek organizations strolling and stepping cause they're clearly rooted in NPHC tradition. if you wanted to do such thing, then why not join the types of organizations that do that?

(of course, this has been said over and over in this thread!)

quote:Originally posted by alum
Why is it okay for the Thetas to step at a "white" school and not the Pikas to stroll at a "black" one?

good question. i'll take "two-way streets" for $500 please...
Old 05-10-2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I have no problem with PIKE, Tri-Delta or *any* other GLO colonizing on a HBCU. I do, however, find it irksome that when these historically / predominately / majority White GLOs with non-white members are on HBCUs they then take on NPHC traditions. Small-minded I know, but this is how I feel.

I went to a PWI for undergrad and all of the NPHC sororities there did not try to take on the 'traditions' of NPC. Meaning we did not try to emulate the rush / bid-day process, hold mixers with frats, songfests and formals. We as NPHC chapters did our own thing and never felt the need to conform to the campus 'norm'.

I doubt that the PIKE chapter at Howard has advisors saying "do everything the NPHC does" or even "don't do anything the NPHC does". There's a good chance the guys that are joining PIKE grew up in families where everyone went to school and joined a D9 group. Since D9 only offers five fraternities for a young man to decide to dedicate his life to there is a lot of room for a man not feel any of them are right for him. Luckily, these men were provided a new opportunity to check out another group. But everything they know is from the NPHC. Maybe these guys know not to do the stroll/call/handsign of a particular group but were they ever told don't do it at all unless you're in the D9? I'll guess no. I vote that we leave them alone. As it's been said several times already, it should all blow over sooner or later.

-
Old 05-10-2006, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
I doubt that the PIKE chapter at Howard has advisors saying "do everything the NPHC does" or even "don't do anything the NPHC does". There's a good chance the guys that are joining PIKE grew up in families where everyone went to school and joined a D9 group. Since D9 only offers five fraternities for a young man to decide to dedicate his life to there is a lot of room for a man not feel any of them are right for him. Luckily, these men were provided a new opportunity to check out another group. But everything they know is from the NPHC. Maybe these guys know not to do the stroll/call/handsign of a particular group but were they ever told don't do it at all unless you're in the D9? I'll guess no. I vote that we leave them alone. As it's been said several times already, it should all blow over sooner or later.

-
But, here again, why go through all the trouble to start a new fraternity on campus because you feel the existing ones are not a fit for you, then turn around and mimic some of the things that the other fraternities do.

<Okay, get ready to really flame me>

For example, Gamma Sigma Sigma. I've seen on HBCU campuses that GSS chapters there have picked up some of the more identifiable NPHC characteristics. Namely their call 'Skee-oop'. When I first heard that I was like , how the h*ll did they come up with that? Couldn't they have been more original? Now, I think we can all figure out where the 'Skee' came from and the 'oop' came from, and I'm sure they are not copyrighted by each org (correct me if I am wrong), but dang, do they have to be soooo obvious about it?

That's all I'm saying about PIKE at HU. If these young men felt that PIKE was best for them, fine. I don't knock them for doing something different. Maybe HU greek life needs a little shake up. But, don't say you didn't find what you were looking for, then turn around and mimic those groups that you felt were not a fit for you. Especially since PIKE has never really embraced some of the more identifiable NPHC characterisitcs at every college campus.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
The issue that I have, per se, is that PIKE at HU was colonized (as I understand it) because the guys wanted something different. Fine. I respect that. So, why go through the trouble of doing something different then copy those who you felt were not for you.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I thought the strolling discussion was in this thread.
You're right. I didn't 'flip' back through the thread to check.

Quote:
On a larger scale, other GLOs aren't swarming in and adopting what WE identify as BGLO traditions. Moreover, a few of the things that BGLOs think we started began elsewhere. In the end our bragging rights as organizations extend far beyond the strolling, stepping, line jackets, and hand signs (that not even everyone in our organizations do). We have always been about sisterhood/brotherhood, scholarship, and service. It's okay if we want to protect "our traditions" or even occasionally smirk when others try to adopt them but folks need to remember not to get lost in that--I think that's what enigma_AKA was previously pointing out.
I know that other GLOs are not swarming in and adaopting BGLO characteristics. I just offered a few examples to illustrate a point. I have just been trying to point out the irony of a group dismissing the other groups, then turn around and copy some of the identifiable traditions of those groups. If want to do your own thing then do it.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The issue that I have, per se, is that PIKE at HU was colonized (as I understand it) because the guys wanted something different. Fine. I respect that. So, why go through the trouble of doing something different then copy those who you felt were not for you.
SD, I am with you all the way on this whole issue. I also pledged on a PWI so I know the differences in traditions.

On a broader scale, this whole cross-cultural adoption bothers me. Its okay to appreciate others' culture but trying to mimick it is sad and shows lack of creativity and substance. Just look at the current state of Hip Hop....
Old 05-10-2006, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

PIKE isn't considered a "multicultural GLO" and this is why their adoption of certain traditions on one campus would get some attention. I say "some" because I predict/hope that people will stop "caring" in a couple of months, unless something spectacular happens.
Location, location, location!!!!!

*I* think that the reason people care and are still talking about it is because of where the colony is being chartered. At Howard U, a well respected and recognized HBCU (some would say the model of a HBCU), which is also the birthplace of some of the BGLOs that have become part of the NPHC. I think people have an image in mind when it comes to HU, and PIKE does not fit into that image. Not saying that it can't over the years.

I'm sure if PIKE was chartered at another HBCU, then you are probably right. After a while, people would not care.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Mimmicking...

I don't know members of PIKE at Howard, or any current members of the NPHC chapters at Howard. But everyone seems to be focusing on the fact that the PIKES attempted to stroll/step/have a call/have a hand sign, etc. which are traditions firmly rooted in the NPHC organizations (all though not all of them are solely relegated to NPHC orgs). But assuming that what has been said by (or on behalf of) the men of PIKE at Howard is true, i.e. that they were looking for something different when the colonized at Howard, who can claim that they weren't. I think we can all agree that strolling, stepping, calls, hand signs, etc. are not the only substance of NPHC organizations. So they adopted some of these traditions. Interesting, yes, ironic maybe, but since these are not the only aspects of Greek life at Howard or any other school for that matter, then maybe there is something else that they get from PIKE that they didn't believe they could get from any of the other organizations on campus.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred
SD, I am with you all the way on this whole issue. I also pledged on a PWI so I know the differences in traditions.
Thanks!

Quote:
On a broader scale, this whole cross-cultural adoption bothers me. Its okay to appreciate others' culture but trying to mimick it is sad and shows lack of creativity and substance. Just look at the current state of Hip Hop....
I agree. I have been trying to express this point.