GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,365
3 members and 2,362 guests
chi-o_cat, Phrozen Sands

Old 01-29-2006, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by dznat187
i say wear what you want as long as it is appropriate for the setting (ie. not wearing a skirt with your but hangin out or a bathing suit in a blizzard). if these women are going to be your sisters, they should accept you even if you don't waste all your money on expensive labels. i think it is super creative of you and you can use that to market yourself-you could help the chapter make greek week costumes, do cool crafts for new members or make some clothes to be donated to charity.

on a personal note, if you came into rush with a cute handmade outfit and you were nice and met minimum standards, id give you a bid in a second!

i don't know when being greek became all about brand names and clothes......
Thanks so much! I don't have a problem with designer clothing and bags...I have a few of my own. But sometimes its hard to find a dress at a store that fits you perfectly. And sometimes I just like to combine styles of dresses that I see in the stores to fit my personality better

Last edited by Dee34; 01-29-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2006, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I could sew better... my skill is limited to curtains.... I have such a problem finding clothes that fit... and finding the time to get them altered.
Good luck
Old 01-29-2006, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't sew clothes but I have done window treatments up the wazoo due to our moves and many, many quilts for fun and commission.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dee34
Thanks so much! I don't have a problem with designer clothing and bags...I have a few of my own. But sometimes its hard to find a dress at a store that fits you perfectly. And sometimes I just like to combine styles of dresses that I see in the stores to fit my personality better
I suppose I should have been more explicit, but I'm fairly sure I said not at an SEC school or such.

But what you're saying is exactly how I feel. Half the time I buy clothes (designer or not), I change something on them - just last week someone commented on a dress I had on which had been on a designer website, and she was amazed at what I had done with it!

I'd still get some opinions from the Mid-west exclusive school which you plan to attend, but I think a creative mind and the ability to use it so well is a gift, not a detriment!

PS - I once represented my Alumnae Association at another sorority's convention, so I made a special dress in my sorority colors. I got compliments all afternoon - plus, they remembered which sorority I represented!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

Thank you UKTriDelt...

I wish someone would actually believe the "rumors" about the system down here. It's like no where else.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dznat187
on a personal note, if you came into rush with a cute handmade outfit and you were nice and met minimum standards, id give you a bid in a second!
This is all it takes for you, huh?

Anyway, I agree with Honeychile. No, sorority girls (even in the SEC) don't have entire designer inventory memorized, but you can recognize pieces and see the richness and quality of a garment. So if you can whip up something gorgeous, why NOT? I'd say in general though, probably not.

And I'm agreeing with UKTriDelt... a real Prada or Burberry is not entirely uncommon anywhere, let alone amongst sorority girls.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's that uncommon for girls to wear lots of designer labels. A friend of my housemates' (not in a sorority) always wears Gucci, Burberry, etc. One time she came over after a jog wearing an Abercrombie sweatshirt, and I said to her "wow, I think this is the first time that I saw you in something that's not designer."
Old 01-30-2006, 09:08 AM

If I'm not correct in my belief that the vast majority of college women are not decked out in high-end designer garb, then I guess I defer to those of you who say they know people in their early twenties who can afford to dress that way without resorting to knockoffs.

And I see that uktridelta and achtungbaby, who attend(ed) the same school also have differing opinions on the subject.

I have to say my BS detector is going off, though, although that's just my opinion and nothing more

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 01-30-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think anyone is saying that the vast majority of college women can afford to dress like that, just that some can, and it does happen.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

So says the girl from New York
Old 01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish I could afford to dress that way... but I dare say that quite a few girls in my sorority could afford it and they did(I haven't been an undergrad for a few years). Some could afford it and didn't. Some people are just lucky because their parents have the money and allow them to use it.
I would love to have that kind of disposiable income! But I am a lowly graduate student... maybe one day
Old 01-30-2006, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say no. Play it safe. Wear clothes you have purchased that are similiar to your style that also work with the style of recruitment.

However, I think it would be a great idea to introduce into the conversation that you know how to make your own clothes and describe the style. If you've made any fashion accessories, you might want to wear one of them at recruitment. That would be appropriate.

Good luck at recruitment and welcome to Greek Chat.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose

And I see that uktridelta and achtungbaby, who attend(ed) the same school also have differing opinions on the subject.

I have to say my BS detector is going off, though, although that's just my opinion and nothing more
Not to mention that we're in different sororities...

ETA: If you look at other threads that Achtung and I have posted in, you'll notice that this isn't the first time her and I have had different experiences at the same school. Sororities are oh so diverse here, which I suppose proves the point that everyone really can find a place where they fit!

Last edited by UKTriDelt; 01-30-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
If you want to make your own clothes, go for it. You can always say that your dress was custom made and is an original, assuming that you have a talent for designing and sewing.

I'm not familiar with your campus so I might be all wrong.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UKTriDelt
Not to mention that we're in different sororities...

ETA: If you look at other threads that Achtung and I have posted in, you'll notice that this isn't the first time her and I have had different experiences at the same school. Sororities are oh so diverse here, which I suppose proves the point that everyone really can find a place where they fit!

Like I said, it's just my little ol' opinion