GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 1,647
1 members and 1,646 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM

I know that, none of my alma mater's chapter houses are located on campus. It has nothing to do with recognition or lack of same. The situation I'm talking about is where the chapter houses are privately owned/rented by private people who have no intention of letting the university into their finances.

If they want to do it for dues, fine, just so they know that they won't be able to do anything if Selma Slacker decides at the last minute not to live in the off-campus house. And I just (from experience) have an antipathy toward letting the university too far into our organizations. It's one thing at a place like LSU where the university supports or at the very least recognizes the importance of the Greek system, it's another thing at a school where they're trying to dismantle it at every turn.

I'm sure for what you're talking about it works swimmingly, I just think that the kind of school the OP is at is closer to what I'm describing.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not familiar with the workings of GLOs where chapters are allowed to own/rent their own housing outside a house corporation structure. Most, note I say most, NPC groups do not allow this. But it seems that the admin at the OP's school is interested in helping the groups collect their dues, even if only national ones. I see that as a positive step.