GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 797
0 members and 797 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

DST Suspention

Where I live, the LZ Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta has been suspended until 2014 for an accident that wasn't their fault. There was a boat party early this year and a guy fell off and drowned. The LZ Chapter is apparently being held responsible for his death. I don't think that's fair. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think there is more to this than meets the eye. And since you listed your city, I know which school this is and I KNOW there is more to this than meets the eye.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Banned

"Suspension"

http://cw.ua.edu/2012/04/09/student-dies-after-falling-off-riverboat/

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2012/04/drowning_indicated_as_cause_of.html

Rest in peace to the Kappa brother. This happened April 2012. It is completely normal for there to be an investigation and a chapter potentially being suspended. Our National Headquarters has Lambda Zeta suspended with a $200 fine from 6/1/2012 until 12/1/2012.** This is publicly accessible information. That is a rather minor suspension and fine which might have the primary purpose of pausing the chapter pending police and school investigations. It remains to be seen whether NHQ believed the chapter was in the wrong (i.e., unauthorized event, unauthorized alcohol, etc.).

**I see nothing on The University of Alabama's NPHC website about Lambda Zeta being suspended until 2014.

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-10-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ßeautiiful Mii View Post
Where I live, the LZ Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta has been suspended until 2014 for an accident that wasn't their fault. There was a boat party early this year and a guy fell off and drowned. The LZ Chapter is apparently being held responsible for his death. I don't think that's fair. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
I think this is a thinly veiled "OMG the chapter is closed, how ever do I pledge?!?!?!!" post.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I think this is a thinly veiled "OMG the chapter is closed, how ever do I pledge?!?!?!!" post.
It could be an aspirant who considers this all unfair.

I would hope that an aspirant with a brain would avoid overstating the obvious and just give a vague "the Delta chapter at my school is suspended for a few years, what do I do...." Then I would have said that all aspirants have to wait until a chapter comes from suspension or wait for graduation to apply for alumnae chapter membership.

Or the OP actually wants to discuss what happened--which won't really happen on GC. It could be a member of LZ chapter, etc. Who knows.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I just heard about this last night from a friend who planned on joining in the fall. Yeah, she's going to wait until everything is clear and go for it. Maybe there is more to the story. Idk. Today someone told me something different. I just figured if that was the case, then it is kind of unfair. I hope things work out for the LZ Ladies.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post

I don't want to be a Delta. I just heard the news and was curious to what people thought of it. My opinion was that I just didn't think it was fair. Had it been another sorority or fraternity, I will still feel the same way.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just heard about this last night from a friend who planned on joining in the fall. Yeah, she's going to wait until everything is clear and go for it. Maybe there is more to the story. Idk. Today someone told me something different. I just figured if that was the case, then it is kind of unfair. I hope things work out for the LZ Ladies.
Quote:
I don't want to be a Delta. I just heard the news and was curious to what people thought of it. My opinion was that I just didn't think it was fair. Had it been another sorority or fraternity, I will still feel the same way.
Sure.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My opinion is that nobody here (probably including you) has enough information to make any kind of valid decision on the "fairness" of this and that you didn't take the time to register here and start this thread just because you heard the news and were curious what other random people thought.

Nice eszett, though.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
My opinion is that nobody here (probably including you) has enough information to make any kind of valid decision on the "fairness" of this and that you didn't take the time to register here and start this thread just because you heard the news and were curious what other random people thought.

Nice eszett, though.

WHOA! I didn't take time to register on this site for this at all. I just registered maybe two weeks ago. I just posted what was said to me. There could be another reason to why there might be a suspension. I'm not making any valid decisions onto why this is taking place. I thought about what was said to and me voiced my own opinion and just wanted to ask others what they thought. I did not come here to start problems or a war with anyone. I don't know what kind of person you are, but I'm not the conflict type. I'm as nice as it gets and I care about everyone opinions. Don't attack me or anyone who posted to this thread. Like I said before, there could be more to the story. idk Or maybe there is another reason. I've talked to my friends on campus about it. Yeah, they said what they had to say about the issue. If you feel that I was wrong or whatever.....that's YOUR OPINION. Have a blessed night.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't attack me or anyone who posted to this thread.
MysticCat is only typing to you and about you.

Now go find another thread to post in.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

Now go find another thread to post in.
I'm confused. Did I say something wrong? I promise I wasn't trying to offend anybody. If I did, I'm truly sorry.

To DrPhil.....I thought she was referring to the people who posted to this thread. I was being nice to take up for everyone who stated their opinion and this is my thread I started.....
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
this is my thread I started.....
Friendly information point : you don't possess the thread. You post something, and it takes on a life of its own. That's The Way of GC, grasshopper. In more familiar terms: "wax on...wax off..."
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Banned

LOL.

Anyway, Rest in Peace to this young man and I hope things work out with this investigation.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Friendly information point : you don't possess the thread. You post something, and it takes on a life of its own. That's The Way of GC, grasshopper. In more familiar terms: "wax on...wax off..."
I'm new to this....thanks.