GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,467
3 members and 1,464 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice on UF Fraternities

Ok so I've recently become interested in rushing. I really want to belong to a brotherhood and really want to make those life-long bonds. I'm just very apprehensive because I was never really a "regular" guy I guess you can say. I never had a big brother and wasn't all that close with my dad, I never really got into sports (until I came to UF, and no one can ignore UF football) and I can't really play them either. I'm just nervous about not fitting in to any fraternities. So does anyone have any advice or experiences they don't mind sharing? I'm also a sophomore right now so unless there is a spring rush, I would have to rush in my Junior year which may cut back my chances even further. So yeah, does anyone have any suggestions for which ones I should look into or something along those lines?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Nobody here is going to give you advice about particular fraternities.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I will give you general advice that i hope will help you out in your decision to go greek.

I dont know how rush is ran at your university but i do know you have MANY options to choose from! Im assuming UF is University of Florida in which i believe you have 20 plus different fraternity's to choose from!

Try to go to as many rush events as you can and see the vibe you get from the different brothers in each chapter. Remember, not every chapter is filled with guys who are all huge football players or care only about sports. So dont let not being into sports hold you back! There is a fraternity for everyone! Its all about finding it...

So go out to events, BE YOURSELF, dont try to act like someone you are not! You will find the group that is right for you! Being in a fraternity is a lifelong obligation, so choose wisely and get a group that you fit into well!

Good luck with your decision!

>Chris Bacarella
Old 11-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

do you have any friends already in fraternities at uf? or maybe not friends, but someone in your dorm from freshman year who you were friendly with? What about someone you know from your h.s who is in a uf fraternity?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbacarella View Post
Try to go to as many rush events as you can and see the vibe you get from the different brothers in each chapter.
At some schools that can make you seem desperate to just join greek life, as opposed to a particular chapter/brotherhood. Not sure if that's the case at UF, but still worth mentioning.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely give rush a try come spring. As far as I know, all UF fraternities have a spring rush. The only drawback is that you're in a smaller pledge class, which some people don't like. Also, being older is not as much of an issue when rushing for fraternities as it is for sororites at UF. I have several friends who are in "top" fraternities that rushed as sophomores or juniors, so from what I've seen it doesn't hurt you as much. One of my roommates rushed as a senior (although he is in a 5 year program, so he had an extra year.) I'm really close with a lot of my roommate's brothers and a lot of them felt the same as you did about not knowing if being in a fraternity was right for them, and they love their house. Another thing to consider is that there are over 20 fraternities in IFC alone at UF. I think it's like 26 or something. There are so many different groups, I'm sure you can find somewhere you'd be happy and comfortable.