GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,494
1 members and 2,493 guests
ajehnztsa1361

Old 10-31-2002, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

OK-this is embarrassing.....

edited b/c I obviously do not explain myself well in writing and have been misinterpreted. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by DGWannabe; 11-03-2002 at 03:25 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-31-2002, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angels&Arrows

I am going out on a limb here... I doubt that is the reason Pi Phi cut you...

I can not speak for the particular chapter that you rushed... I just can't imagine the chapter remembered during voting your parents financial status... unless your father was Bill Gates.

It happens at some schools, though.

Most schools have rules that you're not even supposed to ASK about what rushees' parents do for a living because it makes rushees uncomfortable because they feel like they're being judged for money.

When I was going through rush this year, there was a sorority that asked girls what jobs their parents had. Maybe it was because they just didn't know any better, but there's always the possibility that they did it because they wanted to gauge what kind of money the girls had.

That doesn't mean that that's the necessary reason that this girl got cut -- it could have been anything -- but it's silly to say that things don't work like that because I've seen chapters where they do.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DU_KD_924
2 stories:

1st, similar experience with a sorority wanting to know all about how rich my family is. Well, my dad had just been diagnosed with cancer and was no longer working at all, and my mom was a dental office manager. That wasn't good enough for the Pi Phi's and I got cut.
I know for a fact that this happens, but I can't swear to Pi Phi. I'd rather not name the GLOs involved, but when I was rushing, a friend called my mom to verify that I was rushing and said quote, "Then you won't mind if we do a Dun & Bradstreet on you, then?"

Most rec sheets have a section that asks if the pnm and/or her family can afford the cost of sorority.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile:
I'd rather not name the GLOs involved, but when I was rushing, a friend called my mom to verify that I was rushing and said quote, "Then you won't mind if we do a Dun & Bradstreet on you, then?"

That is horrifying to me! Thank goodness I had no such experience! My mother was so anti-sorority she would have done anything she could have to stop me from rushing, and a phone call like that would have confirmed all her worst suspicions. Thank goodness your mother had a cool head, honeychile, and you both obviously dealt with the outrageous phone call with aplomb. Wow, I bet you never looked at that woman the same way again.
violets
Old 11-01-2002, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Well, I wasn't cut from either group (there's only two sororities on my campus), but at my first formal recruitment I was talking to a girl who had been in my orienation group (I had been an orientation leader). She told me to my face that I sucked and that she didn't like me. I was pretty angry but stuck it out and told my sisters after the party was over what she had said. We continued to invite her back for the rest of the parties except for Pref, but she gave us the impression she didn't like us anyway. I was just pretty surprised someone would be so flat out rude like that.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 11-07-2002, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie7777
This is a good idea for a thread. Mine isn't that bad, and I don't even know if this is why the group cut me, but I was at ABC sorority and the girl was taking me around the house and we went into the t.v. room. She commented on how her favorite show was friends and asked me what mine was. Without really thinking I gave my honest answer. "Buffy the Vampire slayer." As soon as I said it I was like WTF? I mean it is a weird show and she probably thought I was a weirdo for watching it. I swear that at least factored into them cutting me.
Sarah Michelle Gellar rocks. No matter what she's playing in. Anyone who cuts someone for that gets a growling face from me, lol.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
I was not cut.
Me neither. Although, I never participated in formal rush. I got picked up spring semester of my sophomore year, a couple weeks after transferring in. The org. I joined hadn't nationally affiliated yet, so I was able to join without having been at the school for a semester first. My junior year I was a Rho Chi, and that was an experience. This year is my first year participating in formal recruitment. I don't think I would have been able to go through it. My hat goes off to all who can.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I promise I'm not still this rude....

When I was a freshman at another school, I was at a party for KD (who were so sweet and absolutely WONDERFUL girls. I called my mom the first 2 nights during rush and was like, "Ohmigod, I SO want to be a KD!") I was talking to one of the sisters, and this girl let out a huge shriek across the room and started jumping up and down. Well, I rolled my eyes, and said, "How lame." and went back to the converation, which seemed to die pretty quickly afterwards. I wasn't invited back. I found out later that semester that the sister I was talking to happened to be the president and the girl that had shrieked was her real life little sister..... I (rightfully so) felt like a complete idiot, moron, bitch, (feel free to add to the names....)
Old 11-08-2002, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Thinking back on it, this probably wasn't my reason for being cut, but here we go. I was only cut from one house, Pi Phi, and I think it was because I wasn't a cheerleader in high school. Honestly... at that time, most of the Pi Phis were cheerleaders or wanted to be and that was one of the first questions every girl asked me... It got kind of old, and I really liked them a lot, but they cut me, which allowed my Pref. selections to be easier..

A semi-funny story... two years ago during rush, I met a PNM who my roommate at the time was in love with. She was a sweet girl and I was excited to get to meet her during rush. Well, all she kept talking about was how the girls in the other parties had no clue what kind of bracelet she was wearing (Tiffany's), or where she bought her jewelry (TIffany's again). To be honest, neither did I, but I played it off well I guess because we ended up pledging her... she's MIA now, but whatever... It was just weird.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:24 AM
UMgirl

I had on these really cute boots, and an actuve girl I was talking at XYZ house told me she liked them a lot and thought they were cool. She asked if they were Steve Madden's, and I said no, I got them from Target. She just said..."Oh" and walked away. And no one else really said anything to me for the rest of my time there.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I made a boo boo once during a rush party -- but I was the rusher. I went through the rush books before the parties to find out which girls from my high school would be at each one. Well, there was this one girl I didn't exactly know, but I knew she went to my high school and I wanted to learn more about her. As a floater, I staked out the party and halfway through I went up and introduced myself. I said, "Hi I'm _____ and I went to the same high school as you". Apparently this girl wasn't smart enough to figure out that her rush registration form would be passed out to all the sororities. She started freaking out and asking me all sorts of questions about how I knew who she was, how long I'd known about her etc... I think she thought I was stalking her!

I felt bad, and came up with some story about how someone else at the party told me a girl from my home town was there. What I really wanted to say was "No one would want to stalk someone as dumb as you." We cut her that day, but everytime I saw her on campus she'd walk the other way!
Old 11-09-2002, 04:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I was at the ZTA house and the girl rushing me said "oh I love you redhair" I said thank you. She then proceeded to tell me about her boyfriend who happens to also have red hair. I told her that I had yet to meet a cute boy with red hair-opps! That was a booboo but, oh well. Next day ZTA did not show up on my return list.

BTW there is a sorority on my campus that did ask what your parents did for a living. I had no desire to go to this house and thus did not get a rec. for them.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by aggieAXO
I was at the ZTA house and the girl rushing me said "oh I love your redhair" I said thank you.
Another redhead! Yippee! We always felt we had "first dibs" on redheads - our chapter was full of them! As an alum, there were 2 of us who did bid matching, and when we brought a third to train (yet another redhead), the DZ chapter advisor asked, "Are all ADPis redheads?!"

Well, not all...

honeychile
Old 11-18-2002, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skjackee Send a message via Yahoo to skjackee
I was sick the first day of formal rush and couldn't talk when I woke up the next morning and I could barely talk when I went to the second day, I had these cough drops that probably made my breath smell like death, but hey, I could talk. I went to 8 parties the first night and was cut by all except 3, and one of the houses that I dropped asked me back. Why I was cut? DG - I said their rush room looked like a baby shower (oops); KKG - I don't think I smiled enough (it was my VERY first party and I was scared); AXO-I didn't like sports; XO-I said that I like bowling and the girl who was rushing me said she hates bowling; Pi Phi - I don't know if I was cut but I dropped them and I felt bad after the Rho Gammas revealed themselves because my Rho Gamma (who was so awesome) was a Pi Phi and when she asked me who I wanted to drop, I said Pi Phi all quick and determined-like.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

i thought houses didn't tell a girl why she was cut? We burn all the info cards that we write about the girls.