GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,164
2 members and 1,162 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 11-10-2016, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi guys, I'm new here, and I have a huge predicament, please give me a few minutes!

Hey guys, I’m gonna start with a pretty in-depth story (you can skip tl;dr if you want). I’m a UCI class of 2016, so I already graduated. HOWEVER, I’m going back to school for an extra 2 quarters, as well as one whole more year (while waiting for graduate school acceptance letters).
With that said, I will be in Irvine for quite a while despite the fact that I am 22.
In 2013 I pledged and crossed a certain fraternity, but the fraternity went inactive BEFORE my formals happened, so unfortunately I did not get my letters. Thankfully though, the knowledge of fraternity life stuck with me forever. I took a good break from hanging out with AGC (asian greek community) for about a year. However after certain circumstances I became best friends with two guys from the same fraternity!

The 3 of us constantly joke about me pledging their fraternity, but its just not viable considering how old I am. Now, in this situation I am, I pick up pseudo lil sisses, pseudo faves, etc. And, unfortunately it has been getting on my nerves that they have to be my pseudos.

This brings me to my point. First I’ll talk about an example, UCI has an infamous “underground” fraternity,where they don’t pay fees, they do insane hazing, and do their pledging... well, underground. To me, it does not seem like anyone really cares about them, but they still interact with other orgs normally.

So my plan is to create my own “underground” fraternity—composed of just me for now (and possibly forever just me) and hopefully be vouched for by my two homies from their own fraternity. Hint: The name of my new frat is actually the codename people call our trio.
For example: If they’d call us GOL Team (not really, but just an example), then the frat name would be like Gamma Omicron Lambda

Problems:
Let’s say I chill with my two (let’s say theyre in frat A) A homies, and and I’m wearing my letters (let’s say I’m in frat B), and meet some new people. My turn, and I say, “What’s up, I’m B from irvine, we’re underground right now, nice to meet you.” Do you guys think there will be beef in such a situation?

Beef as in, “Uhhh, who the fuck is B?” –

1. Will people question the fact that I’m the only one in it?
2. Should I try to rush people?
3. I am best friends with 2 people from A, and also good friends with other people from A,. Just how disrespectful is it to say “Yeah, my frat B is pretty cool with A”?  Because in fact, I’m only acqaintances with most of them, I’m just really close with some of them.

LONG STORY SHORT
I just want to be an official big bro to the sisters I love... I wonder if being underground would hurt me at all.. If it means anything I have already experienced 10 weeks of pledging and crossed before.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highafbutnah View Post
Hey guys, I’m gonna start with a pretty in-depth story (you can skip tl;dr if you want). I’m a UCI class of 2016, so I already graduated. HOWEVER, I’m going back to school for an extra 2 quarters, as well as one whole more year (while waiting for graduate school acceptance letters).
With that said, I will be in Irvine for quite a while despite the fact that I am 22.
In 2013 I pledged and crossed a certain fraternity, but the fraternity went inactive BEFORE my formals happened, so unfortunately I did not get my letters. Thankfully though, the knowledge of fraternity life stuck with me forever. I took a good break from hanging out with AGC (asian greek community) for about a year. However after certain circumstances I became best friends with two guys from the same fraternity!

The 3 of us constantly joke about me pledging their fraternity, but its just not viable considering how old I am. Now, in this situation I am, I pick up pseudo lil sisses, pseudo faves, etc. And, unfortunately it has been getting on my nerves that they have to be my pseudos.

This brings me to my point. First I’ll talk about an example, UCI has an infamous “underground” fraternity,where they don’t pay fees, they do insane hazing, and do their pledging... well, underground. To me, it does not seem like anyone really cares about them, but they still interact with other orgs normally.

So my plan is to create my own “underground” fraternity—composed of just me for now (and possibly forever just me) and hopefully be vouched for by my two homies from their own fraternity. Hint: The name of my new frat is actually the codename people call our trio.
For example: If they’d call us GOL Team (not really, but just an example), then the frat name would be like Gamma Omicron Lambda

Problems:
Let’s say I chill with my two (let’s say theyre in frat A) A homies, and and I’m wearing my letters (let’s say I’m in frat B), and meet some new people. My turn, and I say, “What’s up, I’m B from irvine, we’re underground right now, nice to meet you.” Do you guys think there will be beef in such a situation?

3. I am best friends with 2 people from A, and also good friends with other people from A,. Just how disrespectful is it to say “Yeah, my frat B is pretty cool with A”?  Because in fact, I’m only acqaintances with most of them, I’m just really close with some of them.

LONG STORY SHORT
I just want to be an official big bro to the sisters I love... I wonder if being underground would hurt me at all.. If it means anything I have already experienced 10 weeks of pledging and crossed before.
Greatest handle/post ever.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:22 AM

So you want to create a one member fraternity so that you can have a little sis instead of a pretend little sis?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Old 11-10-2016, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ move over, share please? I'll bring the co-cola or sweet tea.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Problems:

LONG STORY SHORT
Calling NinjaPoodle and/or Senserut!

I'm curious. Granted I know nothing about the NPHC process. But, if you have "crossed", aren't you initiated? So, even if his chapter was closed, wouldn't he be an initiated member?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 11-10-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: clarity in question
Old 11-10-2016, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Calling NinjaPoodle and/or Senserut!

I'm curious. Granted I know nothing about the NPHC process. But, if you have "crossed", aren't you initiated? So, even if his chapter was closed, wouldn't he be an initiated member?
I believe he mentioned being in an Asian-interest organization, not NPHC

OP -- I doubt anyone will join a one-person fraternity whose sole member is over the standard college age and exists for the purposes of having little sisters. If their friendship is that important to you why not...ask them to be your friend?

This seems like a whole lot for no real reason.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
How is one member a "fraternity"? Perhaps that word does not mean what you think it means.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

OP -- I doubt anyone will join a one-person fraternity whose sole member is over the standard college age and exists for the purposes of having little sisters. If their friendship is that important to you why not...ask them to be your friend?

Long time, no hear!

You are correct. I misread that part of his story.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

This is maybe not the best place to ask about this. I don't know of any major posters here who know anything about Asian-centric orgs. Maybe ask your two friends what their thoughts are?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

How about get a girlfriend?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
^^^ move over, share please? I'll bring the co-cola or sweet tea.
Me,too!!!!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

You guys have a lot of very great points. You are right, who the hell would join a one-member, over-aged, underground fraternity anyway right?

And well, about the lil sis thing, I'm not sure how it works where everyone else is from (not trying to sound offensive) but at UCI pseudo vs lil-sis is a HUGE difference. My Pseudos and I are VERY close and I would love to make them my real lil-sisses.... My original organization is now inactive so I can't rep their letters anymore, meaning I am, by rules, and technically, unaffiliated. I hope you guys understand my clarification.

PS: I am not too concerned about having others join, I just want to enjoy my last times at my school.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

Quote:
Hey guys, .....

LONG STORY SHORT
1. You're an alum. Why?
2. Undergrounds are a LEGAL LIABILITY. Consider that before you go forward.
3. You're an alum. Why not participate with your alum chapter and move forward in meeting women your own age and that have graduated also?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
1. You're an alum. Why?
2. Undergrounds are a LEGAL LIABILITY. Consider that before you go forward.
3. You're an alum. Why not participate with your alum chapter and move forward in meeting women your own age and that have graduated also?
You have a good point, but all of my friends are undergrads. And I'm not sure if I explained correctly, but I still have to attend a 5th year, not as a gradstudent but just, literally, a 5th year. And after that I will still have a ONE year delay until I go to Pharmacy school.

So with that in mind, I still have 5 quarters at UCI. Does that change anyone's opinion?

Also, I don't plan on making it a huge fraternity or anything, but maybe just a small-time org

PS: Reminder that this is underground, I don't want to deal with official school business, I just want to be affiliated with my younger friends (whose frats I am too old to pledge for)

Sorry if I sound like a pussy, or a lazy ass. I just really don't want to pledge twice in my life.

Last edited by highafbutnah; 11-10-2016 at 11:35 PM.