GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,335
4 members and 1,331 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM

Maybe folks are realizing that getting a BA in your PJs is not the way to go?

/snob.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-23-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Amen!

It's about darn time!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Perhaps that and the fact that education, particularly for-profit education, works in a counter-cyclical market. As economic outlook brightens (and for some it is), fewer people enroll in school, because the costs of going to school (explicit and implicit) outweigh the benefits of putting off working for 3 to 4 years. Enrollments were at their highest in 2008, 2009, 2010 because of the hopelessness of the job market (which is still pretty icky).

Combined with the harsh press, of course, could mean a drop in enrollments. Those companies that have ground-based technical and vocational sides (Everest, etc) are faring a little better but their enrollments drop almost exclusively because of the changes in the job market, since they're not affected as much by national press and more by local (so, problems at an Everest campus in Illinois do not necessarily affect enrollments at an Everest campus in Phoenix).

Last edited by agzg; 08-23-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Perhaps that and the fact that education, particularly for-profit education, works in a counter-cyclical market. As economic outlook brightens (and for some it is), fewer people enroll in school, because the costs of going to school (explicit and implicit) outweigh the benefits of putting off working for 3 to 4 years. Enrollments were at their highest in 2008, 2009, 2010 because of the hopelessness of the job market (which is still pretty icky).

Combined with the harsh press, of course, could mean a drop in enrollments. Those companies that have ground-based technical and vocational sides (Everest, etc) are faring a little better but their enrollments drop almost exclusively because of the changes in the job market, since they're not affected as much by national press and more by local (so, problems at an Everest campus in Illinois do not necessarily affect enrollments at an Everest campus in Phoenix).
Maybe it's all of those factors. I'm just hoping for a correction in the educational market in general. I saw the beginnings of it when I left school, but the Masters is becoming severely devalued in some fields. Maybe now schools--online and bricks-and-mortar--will be more selective in the programs they choose to have, and the students they choose to enroll.

Law schools are experiencing it too--a lot of universities will add law schools because the money and prestige a law school will bring, and they can't prepare their students for a competitive market. Granted, you can't get your JD online, but the same forces drove that boom in law school enrollment.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Maybe it's all of those factors. I'm just hoping for a correction in the educational market in general. I saw the beginnings of it when I left school, but the Masters is becoming severely devalued in some fields. Maybe now schools--online and bricks-and-mortar--will be more selective in the programs they choose to have, and the students they choose to enroll.

Law schools are experiencing it too--a lot of universities will add law schools because the money and prestige a law school will bring, and they can't prepare their students for a competitive market. Granted, you can't get your JD online, but the same forces drove that boom in law school enrollment.
Not true. I'm pretty certain that it is Kaplan that now offers an online JD. It is only accepted in the state of California, though.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Not true. I'm pretty certain that it is Kaplan that now offers an online JD. It is only accepted in the state of California, though.
Who'd want to get a JD online? The fact that it's only accepted in CA speaks volumes...
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

As far as the JD program, there are actually quite a few schools that offer online LLMs, but that actually makes some sort of sense in a lot of cases, and in a lot of cases, very reputable schools are offering the program, e.g., the University of Alabama.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
As far as the JD program, there are actually quite a few schools that offer online LLMs, but that actually makes some sort of sense in a lot of cases, and in a lot of cases, very reputable schools are offering the program, e.g., the University of Alabama.
The LLM doesn't bother me so much--don't you have to be a practicing attorney to do that? A bunch of my friends have gotten their LLM in Taxation, especially during the recession when it paid to be competitive.

It's just...doesn't the JD require some level of group interaction? You can't really get that in a chatroom. Is this going to be the next Cooley? (Totally O/T: I live behind a courthouse, and there are always 10-12 cars parked that have Cooley tags. I guess they're getting employed somewhere.)
Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Who'd want to get a JD online? The fact that it's only accepted in CA speaks volumes...
The funny thing about that is CA (supposedly) has one of the hardest bar exams (along with NY). I haven't taken either so I only know by reputation.

Quote:
The LLM doesn't bother me so much--don't you have to be a practicing attorney to do that? A bunch of my friends have gotten their LLM in Taxation, especially during the recession when it paid to be competitive.

It's just...doesn't the JD require some level of group interaction? You can't really get that in a chatroom. Is this going to be the next Cooley? (Totally O/T: I live behind a courthouse, and there are always 10-12 cars parked that have Cooley tags. I guess they're getting employed somewhere.)
I think there are ways to get an LLM without being an attorney. Linda Greenhouse received one from Yale, I believe, although she may have had special accomodations because she was the Supreme Court correspondent for the Times.

One main benefit that you'll get in a "traditional" law school is the alumni connection. If you're smart, you're going to choose a law school where you can use the degree to help you get a job in your chosen area of law/area of the country. My law school wasn't the highest rank, but it has a good reputation in my region and there are a ton of alumni in the region who do the hiring for their law firm/legal department.

An online law school isn't going to help with that goal. That doesn't even get into the interaction/learning benefits that you get from the brick and mortar law schools.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

I saw Shannon Doherty on an LMN movie today and quickly turned the channel.

Hours later, as I was watching a re-run of Love & Hip Hop, Shannon Doherty's new Education Connection commercial aired. What a damn shame. I guess their other annoying dancing/singing commercials weren't working too well.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...84-501465.html
Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 PM

OMG. So many things.

1) Did Shannen always have a space between her two front teeth? Or did her caps get repo'ed? (I have one, so I always notice it on other people)

2) There is only so much blue eye shadow in the world. Save some for another day.

3) What happened to her singing career? You can't tell me that didn't work out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__NlEVbCEvQ

(My apologies for getting those songs stuck in everyone's head for the rest of the day.)
Old 09-16-2011, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

^ Maybe she got in a fight with her ex and he knocked her caps out? Didn't she and Dean Factor used to beat the crap out of each other?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I saw Shannon Doherty on an LMN movie today and quickly turned the channel.

Hours later, as I was watching a re-run of Love & Hip Hop, Shannon Doherty's new Education Connection commercial aired. What a damn shame. I guess their other annoying dancing/singing commercials weren't working too well.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...84-501465.html
I'll always remember her for "Mallrats." That gets her a positive mark in my book, despite everything else that has happened.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't know where else to put this, so...

What is the professional opinion on Caribbean medical schools?

I didn't know much about them until fairly recently--a good friend from college is at one. Why do people attend? Are they less competitive than US medical schools? Are they cheaper (I looked at tuition numbers but I have no idea what that means for medical school)?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:26 PM

^^^I don't know what the opinion from inside the medical field is, but this is the go-to option for peeps who don't get the MCAT scores for US schools.

Lakers Nation.